Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Additional lights for night riding

graciegreeting

Question Additional lights for night riding

We ride a 2004 R1150RT and the headlamp is very good, but know there are other ancillary lighting systems out there. Not concerned so much about US being seen; but want to illuminate the roadway as much and as far out as possible so we can try and avoid "surprises" from the many deer, moose, etc. that nearly crossed our paths as we rode late one night into Jackman, ME Looking for recommendations from other riders who use "extra" lights for night riding. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by graciegreeting View Post
    We ride a 2004 R1150RT and the headlamp is very good, but know there are other ancillary lighting systems out there. Not concerned so much about US being seen; but want to illuminate the roadway as much and as far out as possible so we can try and avoid "surprises" from the many deer, moose, etc. that nearly crossed our paths as we rode late one night into Jackman, ME Looking for recommendations from other riders who use "extra" lights for night riding. Thanks.
    Try looling at this site. Check out the section "pictures" Lots of ideas there. good luck.

http://www.empdesigns.com/
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

i've used Motolights (good), but i really prefer PIAA 1100Xs (better).

of course, if you really want to see what's going on when the rest of the world gets dark, just go HIDs, and fuhgettaboudit!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

There are quite a few advertisers in the Owners News. I'm partial to Hella lights.. aside from being the OE provider for lots of BMW products, they've been designing and making lights about as long as BMW has been making motorcycles. They seem to know what they're doing.

One of the best values I've found is Hella FF50 in a driving light pattern. Lots of different ways to mount them on an RT - from brackets locating them under the rear-view mirror pods, to fork mount brackets (www.lumalink.com). I found the least expensive source for FF50's to be watching Ebay auctions - they show up frequently and I've paid roughly $70/pair for them. They come with an excellent wiring harness (complete with relay) that needs to be shortened up a bit for motorcycle use.

Side by side with some $$$ auxiliary lights (including HID lights) - the light output and pattern of the FF50 is generally far better. Nice light. Good price. Uses a standard H1 bulb.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Side by side with some $$$ auxiliary lights (including HID lights) - the light output and pattern of the FF50 is generally far better. Nice light. Good price. Uses a standard H1 bulb.
    You can't beat the bang for the buck when it comes to the FF50s. And their conservative design doesn't give you that "in your face" look either. I have a set on two of my motorcycles; one set ran me $30 and the other, $56.

I believe they are a H7 bulb.

Aux lighting

Sounds as if you have defined your mission; break out the wallet...
    I have an '07 RT with caliper mounted Motolights for conspicuity and road surface scanning. They wouldn't do much for the deer or moose et al.
    I have an HID hi-beam that is good for way down the road, but doesn't do much for seeing the sides of the roads unless I am in NV or UT where I can gently weave side to side when no traffic is around.
    The lights for seeing the critters are either the Hella HID xenon FF200s ~$750; check out susquhena.com or similar for them [google if you need to]. I am pleased with these and mounted them on the RT-P brackets that can be purchased from your BMW dealer. With a bit of Dremel work these will fit into the mirror housings and be very solid mounts.
    If I knew these RT-P brackets could have been so easy to come by, I would have purchased the Soltec Fuegos from BajaDesigns.com - even priceier but unbeatable. If you go this route purchase one 'driving' light and one 'spot' to afford wide and distance vision.
    Enjoy the difference!
    peterb www.ppldma.com

'07 R1200 RT - LD ride w/ >145+K mi
    '00 1150GS w/ >165+K miles and more to come...

I ride an '07 RT with PIAA 1100x light under the plastic on either side of the oil cooler, PIAA H7 55/110 for hi beam, Silver Star 55w for left side low beam, Nokya H7 55/70w yellow in the right side low beam. tailBlazer for the brake lights and OEM LED aux. brake light in the rear. Extra LED brake lights in the future. Hope this helps. This works pretty well in rural VT where critters rank high among the road hazards.

Anyone know of an LED side marker?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by rich223vt; 03-26-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    RichW
    2007 R12RT
    DS/DS, OEF, OIF

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Try looling at this site. Check out the section "pictures" Lots of ideas there. good luck.

http://www.empdesigns.com/
    Sorry to say, EMP no longer has brackets to sell.

I do, however, have a set on my RT with FF550's mounted on them.

Right side aimed in the ditch. The left side just on my side of the centerline.

Never been flashed by oncoming driver so they may be too low?

Have lights on Autoswitch so I can turn them on and off from the turn signal cancel button.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

criminaldesign
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    i've used Motolights (good), but i really prefer PIAA 1100Xs (better).

of course, if you really want to see what's going on when the rest of the world gets dark, just go HIDs, and fuhgettaboudit!

Finally got the HID on my bike. I CAN SEE! Nice clear white light and I tell you, it shoots out the beam far in the distance. My low beam goes to the HID and high beam goes to a halogen hi beam. I ride with the hi beam during the day to save some life in the HID.

Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    Finally got the HID on my bike. I CAN SEE! Nice clear white light and I tell you, it shoots out the beam far in the distance. My low beam goes to the HID and high beam goes to a halogen hi beam. I ride with the hi beam during the day to save some life in the HID.

Highly recommend it.
    on my original HID bulbs. 4 1/2 years, 55,000 miles.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

TALLPAULS

Piaa 1100X

Here are my PIAA 1100X's

They are not long range, but they light up the road in front of me.

bmdubyou
    did you move the box of corona so that its seen in both photos?

Quote Originally Posted by IronButtTallPaul View Post
    Here are my PIAA 1100X's

They are not long range, but they light up the road in front of me.

bmdubyou,
    What's with the bell?
    Rw
    Last edited by rich223vt; 03-30-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: correction
    RichW
    2007 R12RT
    DS/DS, OEF, OIF

bell is usaully a Cruiser (read: Harley) companion. worn to keep bad ju-ju away. beemers generally prefer a bi-annual spline lube; pretty much does the same thing.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

15. 03-30-2009, 02:39 AM

K1200RS Light Brackets?

Any recommendations for brackets for mounting the PIAA Cross Country HID Lamps to my 2002 K1200RS? PIAA does not make a mounting kit specifically for this BMW bike.
    http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...PIA73082/353.0