Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K12S screen

K12S screen

I am 5'10" and would like just a little less wind/buffeting. Anyone using the Double Bubble or MRA touring screens? What do you like? What don't you like? Thanks!
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

I have a Secdem screen. I think it is about 1.5" taller than stock. I bought at Twin Cities BMW in Savoy IL. I had never heard of that brand before seeing it there. Cjack told me that is what he had on his K1200s so I gave it a try.

Before

After
    Russ
    11 R1200GS
    06 K1200s

Clay
    Just was delivered a MRA Touring Screen..have not got a chance to give a ride report as I just put it on. Simple installation..make sure you don't loose the washers from your oem screen as they are easy to fall out when disassembling the oem from the bike.

Regards,

Clay
    Kimberton, Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by photoruss View Post
    I have a Secdem screen. I think it is about 1.5" taller than stock. I bought at Twin Cities BMW in Savoy IL. I had never heard of that brand before seeing it there. Cjack told me that is what he had on his K1200s so I gave it a try.
    How well did it work? Big difference?? Quenta costa?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I have one about the same made by Secdem (France). Not a big difference but big enough.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Originally Posted by rik
    I would not say a big difference, but worked out well for me. I am about 5'8"
    Russ
    11 R1200GS
    06 K1200s

Clay
    First impressions of the MRA Touring screen at 'legal' speeds did raise the clear air a bit higher for my 5'11" height over the stock screen. One thing I did notice that the new screen deflected air more around the hand grips..wish I had this screen before I went to Bike Week.

I have to put more milage on to get a better feel for the screen especially at 'Touring' speeds..but the initial impression seems less wind noise though I wear ear plugs..

Regards,

Clay
    Kimberton,Pa.

'08 K1200S

Clay, please define "legal" and "touring" speeds..........
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

I have an MRA windscreen on my KS. I find it MUCH better than the stock screen. My arms and shoulders are protected, and my head is in (relatively) clean air.

In contrast, with the stock screen, the wind hits my shoulders and upper arms and creates turbulence around my helmet (and a lot of noise).

I've used the MRA screen at the track, too, and it is easier to tuck behind.

I'm 6'1" tall

peterh
    2005 K1200S
    2002 R1150RT
    long pause....
    1976 Honda CB750K
    1971 Yamaha 350 R5-B
    1970 Honda CL 350 Scrambler

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    Clay, please define "legal" and "touring" speeds..........
    Let's put it this way..this bike is meant to be used on the Autobaun..

Clay
    Finally got some 'Touring' (higher speeds) miles on this MRA screen and I have to admit it exhibits less buffeting at the helmet level as compared to the stock oem screen..thus less fatiguing on longer rides...

Thanks, Clay. Looks like I'll be getting a new shield. I like the looks of the double buble, but I am more interested in less turbulance.
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

Clay
    FYI...I to was interested in the Double Bubble..but Twisted Throttle advised me that that the Touring version was the most popular amongst the K1200S riders..

Bumping this back up...

I need to replace the screen on my 08 K1200S, as it was damaged when the bike was being shipped to me. I'm 6'2, and I think the stock screen needs to be just a little bit lower to deflect more of the air to my chest, rather than to my neck. So I'm thinking the touring screen or double bubble will cause the air to hit me straight in the helmet, thus increasing the noise.

From what I have read, it seems like the OEM screen is the only one I can do. I see that MRA makes a smoked version of it, but does anyone make a shorter screen?

Thanks,

- Anthony

For raising the windstream 2-4" without buying a new screen, one can use Saeng's Micro-swirl windscreen edging. It works! I had to put my K-GT screen way up before putting the micro swirl on it to cut the wind noise in my ears, with the Micro-swirl edging, I only need to raise the 'screen and inch or so. Amazing stuff, and cheap at the price (one of the few Saeng things that are!).
    Ralph
    '06 BMW K1200GT "The Wedge/Wedgie"
    '08 Royal Enfield Classic "EnnyPenny"