Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scrubbing in new tires.

Thank you gentlemen and ladies for your time and consideration to answering my inquiry.

I feel I have more of a handle on the situation now and will not ride around waiting for the unknown to snap at me.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmeshelter View Post
    Thank you gentlemen and ladies for your time and consideration to answering my inquiry.

I feel I have more of a handle on the situation now and will not ride around waiting for the unknown to snap at me.
    Welcome aboard, man.

Don't be a stranger.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

1headlight

Post scrubbing tires are fun and dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I don't know if it is correct to do, but I gently weave within my lane on quiet country roads.
    I do this too. I feel the sides need scrubbing before I take any corners tight.

I just did it tonight coming home on 80 mile old tires with a policeman couple cars behind me,

bmw 1150 rt

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Take a ride on a gravel road.
    +1
    Jim Doyle
    Expert M/C road racer and crew chief
    Owner G-Baby Racing endurance team
    2013 ASRA/AMA Team Challenge GTL National Champions

3 Red Bricks
    Not to be a contrarian, but, heat being the ONLY factor in preparing a tire for full traction is not entirely true for ALL tires.

Case in point, Metzler Lasertec tires. You could run them for weeks, starting and stopping and generating all the heat you want. But once you lean it over onto the section of tire that still has all the "hairs" ( the dozens and dozens of 3/8" long rubber hairs that are molded to the tread) you will not have maximum stability.

With newly mounted tires you always want to be smooth braking and accelerating for the first couple of hours to allow the tire mounting lube to dry out. Otherwise you run the possibility of the tire rotating slightly on the rim thereby throwing off the balance. Same as on cars.

On tires that have "hair", 100 or so miles of twisties while GRADUALLY increasing lean angles and speed about every 10 miles, will have them ready to keep up with your buddies. Most of the "hair" should be gone except for the bitter edges (oh yeah, bitter edge of the tire. My favorite part. )

Also, rubber not in contact with the ground will not run as hot as rubber in contact with the ground. On a race car tire with 3 degrees negative camber you can see as much as 50 degrees temperature difference across the tread until the car is really pushed through the corners.

The swerving that racecars and bikes do actually does two functions: it helps heat the tires up in classes that do not permit tire warmers (pre-heating blankets) and equally important: it helps clean or scrub off any "pickup" (sand, gravel, rocks, bits of other peoples tires) that the slow moving hot tires have picked up. If this is not done, you run the risk of spinning your tires on the restart or not having maximum traction going into the first couple of turns.

Basically, no matter what your theory of tire break-in is, it involves being cautious at
    first and GRADUALLY using more and more of the tires capability until you are SURE what the tire will do. Running it through a heat cycle by just going straight does NOT guarantee that it will have the maximum cornering capability that you are used to the first time you really throw it into a corner.

A good rule of thumb is not to go riding with your buddies until AFTER you've really run your tires to their limits by yourself. That way you won't get enticed into exceeding the limits of your tires before they are ready and you know what to expect.

Your opinion may vary.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

It is clear I am doomed. Reference tire temperatures and the need to reach 165 degrees mentioned semi-authoritatively in a previous post - I run a SmarTire pressure and temperature monitoring system on my R1150R. I run Metzeler 880 tires on the bike. I shoot for a 6 to 8 p.s.i. change from cold to warmed up.

And I have never seen an internal tire temperature above 152 degrees, and it was over 100 degrees ambient that day. About 40 to 45 degrees above ambient temperature is how hot my tires get in normal riding.

He had to be talking about racing tires - meaning most of the entire page long quotation had virtually nothing to do with you, me, or most folks on this list.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

freedom45
    Now, that's a lot to consider and I thank everyone that posted their methods and reasons. Of course, no concensus was reached and we are left to choose the method that seems for each of us best. But, the added information was very useful.