Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free SPOT

Thumbs up Free SPOT

Just got e-mail. Purchase one year of service for $149.99 (basic service and tracking) and the SPOT is free.

Linky
    Last edited by Bud; 03-19-2009 at 11:12 PM.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

dalej
    I just ordered mine. I am very pleased with the price, but confused by the addition of sales tax. I contacted and asked who they were collecting sales tax for but no response yet.

I've always had to pay full sales tax for "free" cellphones......so that doesn't surprise me.

I bought one too

I also bought one. I've been wanting to get one for a while but I kept putting it off. Now family members will be a little more at ease when I am away for a while.

Sales must be down, an indication of tough times.

Good to know. If they have this deal now, they'll have it again.

I think I'll get one if I decide to get a sailboat and I am out sight of land.

19991100RT

Extra sales tax

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post

I too have been looking at the Spot. Last year while riding through NC and the Blue Ridge I ran into a fella with one. He showed me all the bells and whistles and I was very impressed. He also had a Whistle tied to it and ssaid if he runs off the road he can also blow the whistle to attract further attention. Great Idea I thought and I too ride with one now.

Hey, I have a Northern 29 Sailboat for sale. Sleeps six and is Fully offshore equiped.

I think Spot is Canadian so the extra tax is most likely Quebec sales tax and Federal Sales Tax.

Quote Originally Posted by 19991100RT View Post
    Hey, I have a Northern 29 Sailboat for sale. Sleeps six and is Fully offshore equiped.
    Too small for the 3 to 4 months I'll live abord, if I decide to go that route. I'm looking more at a 38 footer.

And then the SPOT will only be used for a distant family member to see where I am. Trust me, for SAR, I'll have an automatically deployable EPIRB on the boat and a PLB attached to my PFD. I don't mess around when it comes to safety.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post

Or they're coming out with a new model.

I ordered my spot last week and have been playing with it for a couple days.

Initial impressions:
    Heavier than I thought
    Stopped tracking me (still don't know why)....last track was an hour before I stopped riding.
    Where to put it....It comes with a belt hook....but my belt is covered by my jacket when riding. It needs to be visible to the southern sky. Ram has mounts for it but if, say, I hit a dear and get tossed from the bike and can't get to the spot it won't do me any good...seems like it needs to be on my person. I'm going to try to fashion an arm band for it like they have for ipods.

I'll continue to play with it but I don't have an immediate trust factor since it stopped tracking (the tracking indicator was definately on). We'll see....

Anyone have ideas about wearing the spot?

dalej
    I finally got a reply from spot. The tax is a telecommunications tax. That did not occur to me.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads-up on the free Spot offer - I ordered mine yesterday!

It will be great fun now that our friends and family will be able to track our upcoming kayak trip in the Grand Canyon!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

F800
    I've had mine since August 2008 (they were offering the same deal at Airventure in OshKosh, WI last year).

1. Watch the credit card billing. I got billed twice because of a 'mistake' I made when activating the unit. The people at SPOT were quite helpful and corrected things - but you have to catch it.

2. The GPS receiver is not as sensitive as some of today's consumer units. This may be because they had to use a rugged, low power receiver, but it does have trouble getting a fix and contacting the comm satellite if you have a lot of trees and/or buildings blocking large portions of the sky. (understandable and acceptable, simply not as sensitive as units which use the SirfIII chipset)

I put it on top of my tank bag and have had good luck with it on the open highway.

OUTBACKUFO
    Thanks for the heads up.... been looking to get one for a while... though a bit $$$ strapped right now... it is a worth while device...

i also have an EPhRIBs device i carry in my rally jacket... it is shock proof....

Is the Free Spot still available?

Used "Linky" in Sibud's message but didn't see this promotion anywhere....
    Tom Baker
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1970 Triumph Bonneville

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    The offer expired on the 27th.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold