Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from Florida?

BFish
    hey bernie..you know who...bfish

melbourne, fl

sriverag
    Located in West Kendall (Miami area).

Weston FL here (Ft Lauderdale area). Anyone figured out a good scenic route up to the MOA Rally? I am planning on 2-3 days travel time before and after the rally.

JoeRadMan
    2005 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by jmirizarry View Post
    Weston FL here (Ft Lauderdale area). Anyone figured out a good scenic route up to the MOA Rally? I am planning on 2-3 days travel time before and after the rally.

JoeRadMan
    2005 R1200RT

I use a Garmin GPS, so I'd be happy to post the file of my intended route once I finalize it. I'll be heading up from Orlando with the wife, and I plan to make the ride over 2 days. I plan to avoid any I-States and congested roads, taking time to enjoy a nice scenic ride. Personally, I like curves and hills.

Let me tie this post in. Originally posted in the Rally Forum.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...283#post457283

2009 Rally from Southwest Florida.
    .................................................. ..................................
    IBA #50026

www.devilrays.com

Quote Originally Posted by vectorprime27 View Post
    I use a Garmin GPS, so I'd be happy to post the file of my intended route once I finalize it. I'll be heading up from Orlando with the wife, and I plan to make the ride over 2 days. I plan to avoid any I-States and congested roads, taking time to enjoy a nice scenic ride. Personally, I like curves and hills.
    Great! I am looking at options but would like to hear other ideas on route planning. Prefer the scenic route at the expense of time too. I have reserved a tent at the rally in Sherpaville. First MOA rally for me.

JoeRadMan
    05 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by parkec View Post
    Let me tie this post in. Originally posted in the Rally Forum.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...283#post457283

2009 Rally from Southwest Florida.
    Thanks for the thread. Looks like a few of us down in Florida planning on heading up to the rally. Hope to meet you there

Thanks for the thread. Looks like a few of us down in Florida planning on heading up to the rally. Hope to meet you there
    Seems like more than a couple. I'll be posting a Garmin route file in a few days. It'll be based on my trek up from Orlando, but can easily be adapted to other locations in Florida. A very good friend who's Hog rider and lives in TN is giving me advice on the routing up his way. He's pretty familiar with most of the roads in and around East TN. He's looking for good roads, with lots of curves and elevation changes, lots of scenery, and limited traffic.

Hopefully we'll cross paths with a few of you fellow Floridians on the way up, but definately at the Rally. If most of us are camping, perhaps we should try for a "Florida" section!

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

JoeRadMan
    2005 R1200RT

My folks live in Weston..... There is a loose group of riders assembling at Everglades Holiday Park (US 27 and Griffin Rd) on Sundays.....

out of town expert

Space Coast...Titusville; near THE National Seashore

GO GATORS!

Bradenton Here!

Bradenton, Florida! New owner of 2008 R1200RT! My first street bike after 25 years of dirt bikes and ATV's. Hope to cross paths with others in the future. GO GATORS!!!

Welcome aboard! I almost bought the R1200RT (I have a K1200LT) but the spouse liked the ride on the bigger bike better. She's beginning to rider herself, so I'll soon be looking at the RT again . I'm also a Gator - been a good few years to be a Gator - so I do hope we cross paths. Planning on heading to the Rally?

Thumbs up My Route from Orlando to BMW Rally

Attached is the route I'm planning to take from Orlando up to the Rally (Garmin database eXchange Format). I'm posting this in case anyone else wants to use it, or has comments that will make it better. I've discovered there are numerous routes up the the Rally, so if someone has something to add, please do so.

My basic criteria was to avoid Interstates (although I do hit the E/W Expressway getting our of Orlando and I-26 for the final miles - but only after riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a ways!), try to use roads with less traffic, avoid (mostly) large cities, and find some nice scenic rides. Of course, as I learn a more about the roads the route is subject to refinement.

Our plan is to depart Orlando reasonably early on Tuessay, and spend the night somewhere between Waycross and Augusta. We'll leave early again on Wednesday and cover the remaining distance on Wednesday, hopefully arriving in time to set up the tent and nab a few beers!

Hope this is useful - I'm looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks up there!

Attached Files Attached Files

Would you like some suggestions for alternate roads between Jax and South Carolina?
    Bernie Echt
    Jacksonville, FL
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver, 2000 R11RT sold (103K)
    MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW Outriders, BMW-RA, AMA

Absolutely. That's half the reason I posted it. I've already made some changes to take some of the larger cities (Waycross, Augusta, etc.) out of the route, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Thank you!