Thread: Garmin Street Pilot 2820 Motorcycle Mount Kit Wiring Help

Garmin Street Pilot 2820 Motorcycle Mount Kit Wiring Help

I bought this thing thinking that it would connect directly to my battery with some loops. ItÔÇÖs instructing me to hard wire it to the bikes electrical system. I have no idea how to do this. Does anyone know of any detailed instructions online on how to do this?

HereÔÇÖs the kit http://www.provantage.com/garmin-010...0~7GRMN06Q.htm

Thanks

I just did this with the exact same kit and a garmin 2730. I took two 1 foot pieces of ten gauge wire and crimped on ring style connectors. I then put these under the + and - wire connections on the battery. Then I just spliced the power cords from the Garmin coard to the appropriate wires. Red to + and Black to -. Since the red wire is fused in the Garmin cord there shouldn't be any problem going directly to the battery.

Just remember to turn off the GPS since it will always have 12 V supply even with the key off.

Hope that helps,
    Peter

Excellent! I was thinking I could do that but I was worried about blowing the thing up lol. Have you forgotten to turn it off yet and drain your battery?

If you are going to hardwire anything to the battery make sure it is fused.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BeemerGS74 View Post
    Have you forgotten to turn it off yet and drain your battery?
    Not yet, but I've had this set up for only about two weeks. Give me some time and I'll be sure to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    If you are going to hardwire anything to the battery make sure it is fused.
    Exactly my thoughts as well. Luckily the Garmin cord comes with an inline fuse.

JSCORTINO
    I purchased a canbus plug & wired it to that so when you shut down the bike the power turns off.

jim

Jim,

Can you elaborate a little more on how you did this? where online can I find this canbus plug?

Seeking Mental Floss
    Not sure what your particular situation is.......but, when I installed my BMW Navigator II (Garmin 2610), there was a power cable made specifically for it, and canbus compatible, just to the right of the steering head. All I had to do was remove the dummy plug, and plug my Garmin into that, and I had fused power when the switch was on. Might check to see if your bike has such, you could at least splice into it if your particular power cable is not compatible.

I have the Garmin 2820 which is the same thing minus the special BMW specific features programmed in. I purchased the Garmin Motorcycle mount kit which calls to hardwire into the bikes electrical system. I'm not really interested in beging to splice and dice the bike so i think I'm going to get Touratechs Canbus helper.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...62DCGTTKFB616E

I have the Garmin 2820 which is the same thing minus the special BMW specific features programmed in. I purchased the Garmin Motorcycle mount kit which calls to hardwire into the bikes electrical system. I'm not really interested in beging to splice and dice the bike so i think I'm going to get Touratechs Canbus helper.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...62DCGTTKFB616E
    The only comment I would make is that the CanBus helper is limited to a maximum of 15amps. Plenty for a 1 amp draw GPS but very limiting if you are planning to add more things to your bike.

For about the same cost I have a Centech Fuse panel (no affiliation just use it) and it has a 60 Amp capacity, to which i have connected my GPS, Autocom, Gerbing and on board compressor.

Nothing wrong in what you are looking to purchase but potentially limiting your future expandibility
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

That's a VERY good point. I will research the Centech Fuse Panel.

I'm wondering if I would be able to attach a powerlet to the fuse panel and plug it in to the outlet under my seat in order for it to act as a relay. Centech requires the purchase of a relay for its fuse box that would need to be spliced in somewhere IÔÇÖm assuming.

I'm wondering if I would be able to attach a powerlet to the fuse panel and plug it in to the outlet under my seat in order for it to act as a relay. Centech requires the purchase of a relay for its fuse box that would need to be spliced in somewhere IÔÇÖm assuming.
    You do not specifically need the relay option on the Centech - but note i have one because that is how i want to control the power to the panel.

If you are going to add the powerlet I would get the relay kit (more from an ease of use and less cluttering wires) - it would be about $20.00 more.

Or just remember to shut of the GPS - couple of ways to go.

If you do get the relay it is a straight forward install and you can pick up a trigger line from several places.
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator