Thread: Air Filter Help on R1200RT

mollied

Air Filter Help on R1200RT

How big of a job is it to replace the air filter on a 2005 R1200RT? Tia, S.D.

Getting lost...
    It's very simple once you get the tupperware off.

The filter is behind the air snorkel. There are two clips holding the snorkel to the airbox. Slide them open and pull the snorkel away from the airbox and the grommet at it's front.

The effort is in the tupperware removal more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sdaley View Post
    How big of a job is it to replace the air filter on a 2005 R1200RT? Tia, S.D.
    Relatively easy

Reference this link to take the plastic off - you do not need to take all of it off http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31046

You only need to take the seat and the throttle side plastic off.

Then reference this link http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34127 for the balance of the air filter change
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I recommend you take a look at getting the maintenance videos offered by Jim Von Baden at this site. I have no relation to him other than being a happy customer.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/page1.aspx
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    I recommend you take a look at getting the maintenance videos offered by Jim Von Baden at this site. I have no relation to him other than being a happy customer.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/page1.aspx
    While you have all the right side body panels off it's a good idea to take advance of the opertunity to change the transmission fluid. The filler cap can now be easily accessed

And by the way, taking the plastic off an RT is not a difficult task. It seems complex when first tackled, but it is a ten minute job to strip the plastic off down to only the front nacelle remaining; believe me when I say that I am no master wrench. I do recommend that you purchase a couple of the speed nuts and screws that hold the plastic together; they can fall and transport to a parallel universe before hitting the ground. The simplest instructions I've seen on how to take the plastic off an RT came with the mounting instructions for the BMW plastic cylinder head protectors. Ironically I found that I could get them on without taking off the plastic if I just loosened a few attachment points. Do it, it will make future jobs far less daunting.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I pull my air filter every 6 K miles and shake out all the sand and dead bugs (rural FL + GA Rd's). You will not believe how much stuff is in there. It is like a vacuum cleaner.
    Bernie Echt
    Jacksonville, FL
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver, 2000 R11RT sold (103K)
    MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW Outriders, BMW-RA, AMA

If you get that much stuff in it - i would replace.

YMMV
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator