Thread: Touretech Fog Lamp Install How hard is it?

Touretech Fog Lamp Install How hard is it?

I've recently purchased a set of Touratech Fog Lamps (non HID) for my 08 GS. It's almost due for it's 6k service so I could have the dealer install them but I thought I would save a few bucks and do it myself. Does anyone have any experience installing these?
    Last edited by BeemerGS74; 03-16-2009 at 06:48 PM.

How comfortable are you with wiring changes to your bike? I don't know the details of the Touratech lights, but installed generic Hella Micro DE fogs on my GS. Details at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/hella/ It might give you an idea of the complexity of the task.

// marc

This may sound like a stupid question so bare with me. Could I just run them straight to the battery and just remember to switch them off after the bike is turned off?

Quote Originally Posted by BeemerGS74 View Post
    This may sound like a stupid question so bare with me. Could I just run them straight to the battery and just remember to switch them off after the bike is turned off?
    Power to the lights comes from the battery. You don't want that amperage going through a switch, though, so the power is routed through a relay. The switch controls the relay on/off. The power to the switch usually comes from some switched source on the bike, but there is no reason I can think of why you couldn't wire it to the battery, too.

Just don't forget to turn your extra lights off.

// marc

I think I'm going to go with Touratechs canbus helper. That way i can also connect my Garmin Motorcycle mount to it as well without having to splice into the bikes wiring system.

Thanks for your help!