Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New York City?

New York City?

Planning a ride that will take me do RI in late July and have had a desire to ride in N.Y. City. Is there a time mid-week that I should plan on entering or not entering the city? I was also wondering about good photo shots that I can place the bike in the city. Riding goals have to be documented you know.

Greenwood Lake, NY. On The Appalachian Trail in The Beautiful Hudson Highlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfixit View Post
    Planning a ride that will take me do RI in late July and have had a desire to ride in N.Y. City. Is there a time mid-week that I should plan on entering or not entering the city? I was also wondering about good photo shots that I can place the bike in the city. Riding goals have to be documented you know.
    If you insist on riding in the city, enter anytime after 10 and plan to leave before 4 on any day of the week.. But if it was me I'd stay away... Ride the catskills instead..
    2002 1150GS

"Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do"- Bill Graham

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    SNOONE is a man of few, well chosen words.

I'm sure he meant to practice driving around in Chicago during rush hour and then come on down to the Big Apple in the off hours which he gave.

For things to see and do in Gotham check out this vintage thread.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    SNOONE is a man of few, well chosen words.

I'm sure he meant to practice driving around in Chicago during rush hour and then come on down to the Big Apple in the off hours which he gave.

For things to see and do in Gotham check out this vintage thread.
    Nope, I meant what I said.. Stay away.. This city is the most motorcycle unfriendly place there is... If you come you'll have the chance to be randomly picked on by NYC's finest, hassled, ticketed pretty much for no reason except they have checkpoints that specifically target bikes..
    2002 1150GS

"Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do"- Bill Graham

Riding in the City is different than riding anywhere else: Manhattan is a special kind of crazy.

I once caused a whole bunch of cages to get tangled up in a traffic jam...
    I was heading into Greenwich Village to meet up with some friends. One street was blocked off for a street fair. Streets headed to the fair were also blocked off -- no point in heading down a street and running into passers-by at the fair, right?

So I was coming up to one of the sawhorses that had one of these side streets blocked off. I could see an empty parking place, just big enough for a bike, on the sidestreet. So of course I rode around the sawhorse and parked.

I was just peeling my helmet off when I looked up to see that the car behind me had followed my lead -- but of course, there wasn't a parking place for him. And the car behind him had made the same turn, so now two cars had to back up a one-way street in heavy traffic to get back on the main road.

Oh, and a spot for your photo shoot? I'd recommend the arch at Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village. Iconic, and still small enough to fit in the frame with your bike.
    - Jeneralist
    1992 K75 RT "Kaype"

Ok, I admit it. I'm bitter from my commuting experience... I bet Tessler can give an unbiased NYC biking experience.
    2002 1150GS

You're only bitter because you have to slave away 2 blocks from Pizza Suprema and you simply can't eat lunch there every day.

NYC Motorcycling is a rare and curious experience. Part balancing act, part adventure ride. But if you hit our streets at the times Snoone suggests and it also happens to be one of those glorious, sunny, cool days, you'll find that you can park just about anywhere and get from points A to B at will.

Just be extremely aware of riding amidst roving selfish packs of cars, pedestrians, trucks, bike messengers, SUVs, semis and the omnipresent yellow taxis. Give yourself plenty of riding space to anticipate, locate and avoid common street hazards (like human-swallowing potholes and steel plates) and bring your sense of humor. And your appetite.

It's worth it. If you want to carve and ride, certainly there are places to do that outside of NYC. But if you want to experience a singular urban destination in all its terrific, scary, wonderful glory this is the place.

Wow, well said! As if you were the poet laureate of Riverside Park!!
    2002 1150GS

as a MSF instructor in the Bronx and dubbed by Tessler "Mr. New York City" (lol) i'll say this:

if you like aggressive, quick responses, non stop concentration and the idea of combat mentality appeals to you, by all means, ride all around the five boroughs.

if not, i'd avoid it.

personally, some days i like getting on the bike and just battling my way around, part bike messenger, part rider, hell, even part pedestrian when it warrants it.

i think everyone should try it once!
    04 GS ADV

hi jfixit,

NYC is a great place to ride in, but I would do it on the weekend, sunday especially. the reason for sunday, is parking is easier and free in most parts of the city. i grew up in the city, so i don't have issues riding in it. there are so many great places to photograph, starting from the south end, the whole wall street area. you will see a large bull on lower broadway, great photo op. go down to battery park (south on broadway) great older buildings. head northeast to the fulton fish market area, there is a shopping mall, many restaurants, and a number of tall ships anchored there to explore. head further north, and you will hit chinatown, tribeca, greenwich village, and little italy. you could spend days just in those area's alone. then head up to times square, the theatre district, park avenue, the section around the old pan am building, part of it goes underground, i've done the ton (100 mph) down there . then it comes back up just before entering the pan am ( i still call it that, so sorry mr trump) building, and then it winds through the building in what i affectionately called the new york grand prix. i raced many a taxi cab through there in my day. you can then ride park, fifth and madison avenues, all will amaze you with shops, interesting buildings and people. of course you will want to go to central park. park the bike on the south end, and then walk to see the zoo, wollman memorial ice skating rink, and just people watch. uptown, has some of the best colleges and universities in the country. my son went to columbia, which is on the westside. i used to drop him off, then i would head up to 125th street in harlem and drive across, seeing the cotton club, and the appollo theatre ( i saw many top acts there in the 60's) on my way back to CT. i am now in NM, but i really miss the city and riding in it especially. if you keep an open mind and you have good riding skills, the city has alot ot offer. have fun when you get there .
    Peter Chuen
    bmwmoa, iba, ama and viet nam vet.

Thanks for the fast replies, if this was not going to be a solo trip I would stay away, certainly don't want to deal with the city if I'm concerned/distracted by another rider but as it is I'm going to add it to my route.
    Thanks again.

I agree with all of the above.

I can't stress with you enough to stay away from NYC riding if it can be avoided but especially on Fridays from Mid Mat to the end of August. It seems that everyone from the Big Island heads out to the Jersey Shore or the Hamptons.

Friday traffic in the Summer is awful!

Thanks guys, amid all the warnings I am getting some very useful information. How about the ferry that leaves the north end of the island? What can you tell me about that?

Thread Hi-jack... When your in RI and if you have some free time, check out our web site, www.OceanStateBMWRiders.com
    There is something going on almost every week.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

When I wanted to visit Manhattan with the family and kids, I always drove over the varrazno narrows bridge to Staten Island and caught the ferry to the Battery and we worked uor way to Time Square. There was always a place to park on the weekend anyways, ($6.00) at the time, the vehicle was quite secure and was no hassle.