Thread: RainX

RainX

In the RiderToRider section of this month's BMW ON there is a suggestion to use RainX on your shield and windscreen. I have been under the impression that RainX shouldn't be used on polycarbon materials. Has anyone actually used RainX on a face shield or windscreen? I use it on my car windshields and like the results. I'm just concerned that might cloud the windscreen over time.

Stokes
    "Keep the rubber side down"

Has anyone actually used RainX on a face shield or windscreen?

Yes, for nearly 25 years.

Yup

I have used Rain X on various helmets and been happy with the results. Try it, you'll like it.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

They make Rain-X for plastics but I've never seen any in an auto store or WalMart. Here's an interesting take on it:
    Aeroflow Corp
    --John, '04 Titan Gray R1150RT
    "Montani Semper Liberi"

rojam

Rain-X

Cee Bailey ask you not to use it.

Don't know about BMW screens. I know the BMW screen has some type of coating over the base plastic. A friend's is starting to peal.

I use it on face shields as they don't last long enought to know if it messes them up. Use the Fog-X on inside to help some.

RainX does make a product for plastics, but I'm happy with the Meguiar's line of products (www.meguiars.com) for cleaning and detailing my motorcycles. I've used their Mirror Glaze clear plastic cleaner/polish for many years on motorcycle and aircraft windshields, and no problems yet... Also works great to clean the plastic lenses of my glasses.

JetDoc
    Western Nevada
    2004 K1200LTC (Schwarzer Geist)
    2004 Suzuki DL-1000 V-strom
    2002 Suzuki Volusia (Hers)

I use just the regular RainX on Shoei faceshields. After 7 years, I have not noticed any ill effects. While I DON'T like RainX on car windhsields (it puts on an icky coating that doesn't work well with windshield wipers and you have to re-apply too often), I love it on my faceshields (no windshield wipers). Just need to re-apply every so often.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    In regards to your friends windshield, I used Meguiars scratch x on mine when the coating turned white and started peeling. It worked great, and make the shield look like new. He may want to try that instead of getting a new shield.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT