Thread: US 61 in WI - Snow, Sand, and Waysides

Long Gone

US 61 in WI - Snow, Sand, and Waysides

Yesterday, I four-wheeled up to LaCrosse on US 61. I wasn't too surprised to see the snowdrifts in the shaded hills because of another tough winter. I was surprised to see all the sand on the sides of US 61, and noticed some of the side roads had so much sand on them I thought they might be gravel instead of paved. Is that normal this time of year, or did Wisconsin run out of salt? Since US 61 would be my primary route to the GR3 and Hiawatha rallies, I'm wondering how long that sand will remain on the back roads.

I also noticed every wayside was marked "closed". Is this a seasonal thing, or a budget problem?
    Chris

1973 R75/5, traded in on...
    2004 R1150RT
    1989 Yamaha Razz

Rally Rat
    Sand is easier on the environment than salt. It will miraculously dissappear during the first big rain. Waysides are closed during the winter. Rest stops (staffed) are being closed this year because of budget problems. It is supposed to snow tonight!

Long Gone
    Geoff, thanks for the feedback. Down here the road crews use sand only when it's too cold for salt to work, or when they're running low on salt.

Snow up there and 3+ inches of rain down here, with flood warnings out for the Rock River and Iowa River. Welcome to spring!
    Chris

1973 R75/5, traded in on...
    2004 R1150RT
    1989 Yamaha Razz