Thread: Remus install for R1200RT

Remus install for R1200RT

Just installed a Remus sport exhaust on my '08 RT. Got a good deal from the local BMW shop as it was a floor sample. Unfortunately they had opened the packaging to display it and in the process lost some of the hardware. After a few back and forths I think I've got everything. The instructions state to bolt the muffler hanger to the passenger footrest- doesn't say, "with supplied bolt/nut". The kit was missing additional hardware to do this. I deduced that I was missing a nut & washer as the nut on the factory muffler is encapsulated in it. I obtained an 8.8 nut, washer and lock washer and bolted the bracket to the back side if the passenger footrest (used the factory torx bolt/washer). Although the bolt/nut are very tight the muffler wiggles back and forth more than I think it should- there is a rubber bushing in the footpeg bracket, so I would expect some give...but it seems a bit sloppy. The instructions are vague and the photocopied pics are the size of a quarter...so I'm unable to see the level of detail to confirm I have everything bolted on correctly and in the correct sequence. Any ideas/words of wisdom? Perhaps it's normal to have this much movement in the exhaust- but compared to the stock this seems awfully loose.
    Jay
    '08 R12RT
    Denver, CO

Remus

Did you ever get an answer to your question. I have just installed the pipe on my RT and it seems loose. Was there a fix for this??

Tom

Tom:

I looked at the Remus on my 1200ST, and there is a rubber doughnut as part of the fasterner and bracket set up, but the exhaust can is absolutely tight.

I would think the footpeg mount is similar to that on your RT.

I'll post a couple of pictures later.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Pictures would be nice. Thanks

Tom

BOBSST
    This is an old picture that I just happened to have on Photobucket. Parts from the inside out are: Nut, bracket from exhaust pipe, rubber grommet, foot peg mounting hole, rubber grommet, large metal washer(same diameter as rubber grommet), bolt. The mount is firm but it will move a little because of the flex in the rubber grommets. Hope that helps.......

Here you go:

and a view from the rear:

Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Thanks for the pictures and instructions. That is exactly how I installed the can. Still seems to be looser than expected.