Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dealers in SE Wisconsin

Glen +3.

Can be really busy so it can take some time.

Matt in Milwaukee. Not a chance in He## will he EVER see one of my bikes again. Not after A half Arsed $500 service and the bike ran WORSE and SLOWER and the front brake let go on the ride back to Madison by Miller park in 70-25 mph traffic.... Got to practice lane splitting or play superman off a lexus....All I got was a BS song and dance on the issue. Should have cancelled the check.....This was on an R60/5 and since you drive a new bike it won't matter since he does airheads and back.
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar

John Rambow

I mentioned John Rambow before and then I checked up on him to see how he is doing. He used to do my bike for me when he was at Kegel's and Rockford BMW and I have known him since before there were any slash 6's ... he has BMW dealer experience, he was at Rockford BMW till they closed, so he knows airheads and more. OK it is not really Wisconsin but it is worth the trip if you are looking for a good mech.
    He is listed in the IBMWR independent mechanic section and I will paste here his 'blurb' from the email that he sent to me.

"Hello BMW riders, JOHN RAMBOW here
    Friendly neighborhood BMW wrench

I was the BMW technician at Kegel Motorcycles and BMW Motorcycles of Rockford for 22 years until the shop closed. Now IÔÇÖm working on bikes at home. I can fix anything the dealers can; I even have the software to diagnose the electronics on the newer bikes.

My labor rate is $50.00 per hour, considerably less than most local dealers.

I can be reached at 815-298-0498 to make arrangements for wrenching.
    My home phone is 815-874-0222, with message machine.
    My E-mail address is jbdk4@comcast.net
    My local address is 3012 Bavarian Ln., Rockford, IL, 61109. Mapquest works.
    My global address is: N 42 deg 13.639 min. and W 089 deg 02.347 min.

Please share this info with your club members and riding friends. Thank you.

I can also do some repairs on older HDs & Asian bikes, lawnmowers, snow blowers or if it runs on fuel I can probably fix it.
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?¡calo)
    Adventures at the Cave

It ain't easy bein Cheezy cheesewhiz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kstoo View Post
    My local address is 3012 Bavarian Ln., Rockford, IL, 61109. Mapquest works.
    Bavarian Lane huh?

That's a good sign!

99 RT
    03 KLR

GWHIZ

A big thing I like about BMW Milwaukee is that they participate in the demo program; Mischler's does not. Mischler's asks you to test ride a bike around a flat square route of a few miles that's pretty useless. On the other hand, I spent a whole day riding the Kettle Moraine North Unit on an R1200GS and another day on a K1200GT from BMW Milwaukee, and they even paid for gas.

While my wife and I were out whooping it up on the GS, they did the 72k inspection/service on my K75RT, and it was ready to go when we rolled in just before closing time. The work was fine, the labor rate lower than Motorcycle Performance in Madison (which I don't think really has a lot of K-bike expertise, but I've heard they've got an airhead mechanic).

I've been up to Mischler's several times, and they serviced my bike with previous owners, but it IS a Harley dealership more than a BMW dealership. I'll stick with taking my bike to Milwaukee and spending the day riding a sweet new machine with my wife in the hills while they fix mine. I still use Motorcycle Performance for routine things like balancing tires, and it's fun that they're Ducati fanatics.
    Sam Hokin, Madison BMW Club | Facebook | Flickr
    1991 K75RT (93,000 mi) road | 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 track
    "BMWs are slugs, for gentleman riders who are also slugs." -- letter to Cycle World, 1984

If you're serious about a bike, Mischlers will let you take an extended roadtest with a bike. When I bought my bike last summer, they never mentioned a roadtest route, just "go and check it out, see ya in awhile". The first one I drove a good 1/2 hour plus, the second one (same type) only 10 minutes or so, that's all I felt I needed.
    But no, no demo fleet or program. Doesn't bother me, I don't think I would want to get involved in that either, having a service customer "whoop it up" with no serious intention of buying one?
    I had to bring mine back for the 1st service and infamous EWS job, they gave me a bike to ride home, didn't bother me a bit it wasn't a BMW, just a UJM. I really have a problem with people who are snobs to the point they would scoff at that. NOT saying you would, just sayin'.
    I wouldn't use the phraseology "more Harley dealer than BMW", I don't think that's fair. They are both. Yeah Harley places more demands on the facility for floor space and appearance, that's the way they are and I am sure it is more of their business than BMW. The place fills a niche for the area, if they don't have the BMW business to make the business float, then they need the HD brand in there (more money anyways). I just wish they would build a stand-alone BMW dealer in Madison (been tried in the past by others though and failed) and just let Beaver D be their HD shop, but I don't think it'll ever happen.
    I like Bill at MP also, he did a lot of work on my bikes back when I lived in Middleton and owned Kawasakis. I let them do some failry major work on my K75 though, and that was a big turn off. To the point where I wished I would have done it myself. But I would also use them for tires, etc too. I just think the tech was in over his head on a K.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

I've always had my bike serviced at BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee.

Never had a problem with the quality of work or the turnaround time and most of the time, if I make arrangements in advance, they take care of the smaller service items while I wait.

It was stated earlier but I think bears repeating that BMW Motorcycles is very active with supporting the local clubs and events. For that reason I go to them first for any parts I need for any of the self-service work I do on our bikes.

Old, Ugly, feet stink too

+1 for BMW of Miwaukee

I have since moved to KY, but John and the boys treated me well (and fairly) with good service.

Glen at Thoroughbred for all my bikes. I got ripped on a upper fairing paint job at Milwaukee that looked like it was brush painted. I have never been back since.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Have had Mischlers handle some paint work for me while the bike was getting work done over the winter, and have been well satisfied with the quality, but pretty sure it's just a local body shop doing it, but they did fine work, no complaints, fair prices.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee, hands down.

I have not gone to Mischler's for years and will not go there. Instead, I ride twice as far to get to John Erdmann's BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...light=mischler
    Jeff Dean - Tucson, Arizona - BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/r1200rt.htm -- Friend of the Marque
    MSF Chief Instructor (1994) - Over 500,000 BMW miles (805,000 km)
    2007 R1200RT, 2014 R1200RT, R25/3, R51/3, R67/3, R68, R60/2 (x3), R69S, & R100GS

Yeah, Beaver Dam is bad enough, no way I have time to drive to Milwaukee for work. I can see why you'd be upset after reading that thread you linked us to, Jeff. Would like to hear more, maybe we'll meet up someplace again, has been awhile.
    Anyways, I've "always" gone there, have had a few turn-offs, but for the most part am happy, never even considered another dealer when I bought the new bike last year.
    The comments regarding service parts on that other thread really baffles me though, have high regard for Aaron in parts and Jason in service and always feel I am getting a good price. Maybe not better than a few dealers who give discounts for online parts sales, but a fair price and are willing to ship stuff to me post haste for a reasonable price. That really helps a lot when you are an hour or so from them and have to work.
    I don't really care if the BMWs are back in the corner. It would be GREAT to have a BMW-only shop in the area, I really think Madison could support a BMW dealer now (and yeah I'd go there, where ever is closest). Maybe not back in the 80s, especially with the following C&D had in the area back then.
    NOW I think a stand-alone BMW dealer would work, the product is better placed and C&D, although I never went there, is sadly gone. (RIP Bill).
    But anyways, yeah Mischlers has both BMW and HD, most of the time they have a few BMWs right there in the foyer when you walk in the front door, along with the Harleys.
    I don't mind going into a Harley dealer though, for Petes sake this IS Wisconsin! Nothing personal Jeff, but it strikes me wrong, as a sort of aloof: "Oh, I don't want to have to be around THOSE Harley people"
    Regards, Jeff
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

OH, as an aside, and for others who were loyal C&D patrons.
    I really got interested in BMWs when the K75S came, out. I had been interested in those "soul-less" K bikes since they came out. Then the 75 came out, and it called me even more (I didn't think I wanted a 1000cc bike). THEN the S came out, and BMW had my number right there. So I did check around and someone (not even sure who, possibly an MSF trainer at MATC, prior to me meeting Jeff when we both took the same MSF instructor class at UW-Whitewater). HIGHLY recommended C&D BMW in Freeport IL. Also mentioned Mischlers in Beaver Dam (could not believe there wasn't a BMW cycle dealer in '87 in Madison. There had been one just prior to this time frame, I'm sure Jeff remembers the details).
    So, I called C&D, and my reaction was a total turnoff. Not sure if it was Bill (who I did meet a few times later on), but conversation was similar to:
    Yeah hey, I'm interested in looking at one of these K75S's, you have one in stock?
    *snort" WE don't sell those things, no one wants 'em. (may have mentioned "junk" in there, may have been implied).
    OH, uh, ok then. Thanks?
    Yeah come on over if you want to look at an air cooled twin, we have some of those.........

So, I called Mischlers and that was when Bill Mischler owned it, and I know he was the one I talked to. I really like Bill a lot. Very old school guy, said he has one sitting on the floor right now, come on up and take it for a spin.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Just noticed the BMW demo truck will be at my favorite BMW dealer on June 12-13. 50 years as a BMW dealer, whoa that's a pretty good record!
    http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...html&notrack=1

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Enigma
    I vote for Mischlers, had nothing but great service from them. I even get a loaner bike so I can get lunch & take a ride while they do the service.
    Milwaukee BMW is a bust in my opinion. They scratch the crap out of my rims when I had the tires replaced, had the valves to tight on the RT so the cylinders started to overheat in Kansas City and the bike wouldn't start. The bike ran like crap till I got it home and reset the valves and synced the carbs myself. I'll never give them any business again.
    I've never used Nicks, but I have heard good stuff about them.
    Just my 2 cents.

I rode my RT up to Mischler's yesterday to pick up my topcase. I must admit that Mischler's is a Harley shop that sells a few BMW's. It was very clear to me who comes first between a Harley or a BMW customer. I felt like a 2nd class citizen. They were falling all over the Harley customers. I spent $1,100 on a top case, jacket, gloves and a couple T shirts. I didn't even get a thank you. The Harley people stared at me like I was someone from outer space. A guy and his wife even asked me if I ware "that helmet" all the time, even in summer. I had the only BMW in the lot except for Mischler had 4 used ones sitting in front of the store. The new BMW's are in the back corner. I was planning on having my 6,000 mile service done there. I don't want some Harley mechanic working on my bike. I think I will check out Leo's South. Gina in Iowa City is mad at me because I did not buy my bike from her and does not seem to want to do any service on mine. I gave her plenty of chances to sell me a bike but she is really firm on her pricing. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas.
    Last edited by LoneRanger; 05-03-2009 at 11:23 PM.
    2008 R1200RT
    Sand Beige Metallic
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge