Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Deal`s Gap Rumors?

One of my fondest memories of the Iron Butt Rally '03 was riding the Dragon at sunrise. No other bikes coming or going.

What a beautiful mind picture!

Voni
    sMiing
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Thanks

I started this thread and then got a quick call to go to work. I deliver constuction equipment to job sites, so I was not able to see all the comments. I just got home and reviewed all of them and sounds like that if you get there before the Nat`l. starts and play it smart you can still enjoy "the dragon". I also have gone and because it was so crowded just kind of sat back and people watched (at both ends) and had a great time also! I also have one more question and that is, I do not quite remember where the "Sam`s Gap" is? Anyone? Thanks for all the great info and I hope to see you there, Kerry aka beemerred
    Lost but making good time

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    [COLOR="Red"]One of my fondest memories of the Iron Butt Rally '03 was riding the Dragon at sunrise. No other bikes coming or going.
    Sunrise anywhere is usually good for the same amount of traffic.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

warredon
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerred View Post
    I started this thread and then got a quick call to go to work. I deliver constuction equipment to job sites, so I was not able to see all the comments. I just got home and reviewed all of them and sounds like that if you get there before the Nat`l. starts and play it smart you can still enjoy "the dragon". I also have gone and because it was so crowded just kind of sat back and people watched (at both ends) and had a great time also! I also have one more question and that is, I do not quite remember where the "Sam`s Gap" is? Anyone? Thanks for all the great info and I hope to see you there, Kerry aka beemerred

I think Sam's Gap is about midway between Johnson City and Asheville, near the TN/NC border.

Truck Pics

I also wanted to comment on the truck pics. I have a class A CDL and have been driving stuff for a long time. If I came down US 129 and saw that big yellow sign stating that the road is not suited for big trucks I would rather back my way to Knoxville than get stranded on a strange, curvy road that I know nothing about. That being said, there is always some trucker (mechanic, ironworker , equipment operator, etc. ) who thinks that their skills are better than everyone else`or that they are the exception to the rule and can handle anything that comes their way. I like confidence and competition but there are limits to every field I know of. Some truck drivers are just too stupid to know their own or their vehicle`s limitations. So what I`m saying is I`m very sorry for anyone that gets involved with that kind of scenario. Good Luck in the Future, Beemerred

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerred View Post
    If I came down US 129 and saw that big yellow sign stating that the road is not suited for big trucks I would rather back my way to Knoxville than get stranded on a strange, curvy road that I know nothing about.
    Yep. I learned early-on that those little square yellow signs with a speed limit printed on them are intended for anybody driving a rig. IT'S NOT THE SAME THING AS A SPEED LIMIT SIGN! It's a real number and you better pay attention or your ass is going into the ditch.

Nope, I didn't crash but got up on half my wheels. Screw that. I've been paying attention ever since.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

So I have been preachin`to the choir. Say Amen brother and can I get a witness!

Onboard movie of the Gap

Here is a movie of a portion of the Tail of the dragon I took last summer. This is a week day (NOT weekend). I am riding a R1200GS. The ride is fun and beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yls1MG4qs

Marty

I took a week last summer, and truly enjoyed the time in VA/NC/TN. I rode the dragon several times over two week days. In both instances, I found that while there was a police presence, they didn't seem to be focusing on motorcyclists.

The sole encounter I had first hand was when a LEO was coming the opposite direction and was flashing his siren and lights to alert me (and my friend) that there was a truck coming our way.

I say go ride the dragon. Stick close to the limit, and enjoy it. But frankly, it is just a road - and there are better out there.

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know. - Mark Twain
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA #125016
    BMWRAI #30539

I thought the Dragon was way over rated when I rode it two years ago. Very narrow in spots and not very much room for late apexing or experimenting with different ridding techniques . In some areas it reminded it me of a wide bicycle path. I got my T shirt and then visited the Cherohala Skyway which reminds me of a 25 plus mile racetrack. A real joy! A nice mix of corners, from fast sweepers to hairpins with very little traffic. It's also about as wide as the average roadcourse at a racetrack so there's a good amount of room for trying different ridding techniques. The Skyway is in a remote area so if something goes wrong it could be sometime for emergency personal to reach you. Something to keep in the back of your mind!
    There's also a pretty neat road that goes from Ashville to Bat Cave and Lake Lure, it's not very long, just a few miles but great fun and it leads you to the second most photograph lake in the country ( Lake Tahoe is the most).
    A word to the wise, I believe this will be the largest MOA ever and I suspect that every law enforcement agency will know about it in the area, so keep a heads up for them!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    I thought the Dragon was way over rated when I rode it two years ago. Very narrow in spots and not very much room for late apexing or experimenting with different ridding techniques . In some areas it reminded it me of a wide bicycle path. I got my T shirt and then visited the Cherohala Skyway which reminds me of a 25 plus mile racetrack. A real joy! A nice mix of corners, from fast sweepers to hairpins with very little traffic. It's also about as wide as the average roadcourse at a racetrack so there's a good amount of room for trying different ridding techniques. The Skyway is in a remote area so if something goes wrong it could be sometime for emergency personal to reach you. Something to keep in the back of your mind!
    There's also a pretty neat road that goes from Ashville to Bat Cave and Lake Lure, it's not very long, just a few miles but great fun and it leads you to the second most photograph lake in the country ( Lake Tahoe is the most).
    A word to the wise, I believe this will be the largest MOA ever and I suspect that every law enforcement agency will know about it in the area, so keep a heads up for them!
    I rode my car this morning (healing from Roto-Rooter surgery) to my favorite crooked road to count the curves across the mountain. It is about 30 or 40 miles of Interstate from the Rally location. The road's pavement is excellent as it was recently paved, there is very little traffic, no guardrails, sheer drop-offs and there are CURVES. The mountain part is a little over 5.5 miles with almost 125 curves. Almost 100 of them are "substantial". To get there, you simply exit onto Rt 80 from I-81 (exit 24) in Virginia. You will meander through the country about 10 miles until you get to the mountain. After you cross the mountain, you meander on another 4.5 miles until you come to a stop sign. Turn left at the stop sign on to Rt-19 and that takes you back to I-81 in Abingdon. Best crooked road I know.
    Last edited by osbornk; 03-14-2009 at 01:27 AM.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

19991100RT

Another Great Road

While we will be in the area, I'm sure many will want to ride the Cherohola Skyway which is only 35 mins. from the Dragon. Like the Dragon, the Cherahola is patrolled quite often. I have seen in the past 4 years a radar set up/road block on the Tenn. side and then you figure ahhhhh, lets open it up the Police are behind us only to go around the next corner and find the NC Police set up. Also worth mentioning is that the road does not ride the same in both directions so cation is required. There are a few curves that the "line" changes (or appears to) just when you think you have your line drawn. There is a web site on the Cherahola I saw a few years back that goes into more detail about this. Worth looking up. I am pretty sure it was a link off of the tail of the dragon site.
    This is an awful beautiful road to ride so why rush it? Do the limit and enjoy the views.
    You have to at least try the Dragon if you haven't all ready but, rest assured that there are a LOT of better roads in the area. One, a 15 minute ride from Deals Gap will find you on a road all to yourself .... okay, maybe two cars over 30 miles. This one road has spots marked 15 mph. You better take heed as they really do meen 15 mph. and....great trout fishing too !

SUNNYBEAR
    also be sure to check out some of the roads around Boone, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain, and Roan Mountain...take a trip to Mast General Store...gee, so much to do right in the area without having to ride half a day just to get to the dragon...

and then that road #603 leading from Troutdale Va to Damascus is a hoot too...

The Movie

I just watched the movie made by madmaddog14 on the R12GS and that really looks like FUN. A nice ride at a nice pace! It just gives me the itch that much more to get to the Nat`l. and do all those great roads, especially the new ones our fellow riders keep talking about. We are planning on (tentatively, at this point) coming down the week before the Rally and ending up in Johnson City on that Fri. Hope to see some of you there! beemerred

Hi, All,
    Back in 1973-4, I lived and worked in Spruce Pine, NC. I often rode to Johnson City, TN and/or other locations throughout the NC/TN mountains. That was just a year after I had uncrated my new Dunstall-Norton 810 MkII. Yes, it was FUN in those days. I just wish I could remember the roads!
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP