Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Deal`s Gap Rumors?

The Gap

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Hell, it isn't even a close match for the SS46.
    SS46??

The first time I road the gap was when I found it by accident in 1980?? Well the last time I was at the gap, a year and 1/2 ago, it was kind of crowded on a Monday.

I had a much better ride home than my time at the gap. 5 hours to 100 miles as the crow flies .

It has become a destination for many riders. There are MANY great roads in N GA, W NC, the SC escarpment and E TN.

I'm looking forward to finding more roads in E TN myself. Lets see the Gap is 150 miles away, the boring way, and shady Valley is 40.

I rode the Dragon two years ago and had a blast. A weekday is much better than the weekends.

You can check out this site for info but in my opinion, the owners of the site are very angry with THP and have no trouble letting readers know this. It tends to skew their info somewhat. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Also check out Killboy's site. http://www.killboy.com/destiny.html He seems to try to keep peace between motorcyclists and law enforcement.

We are heading there after the rally and I can't wait to have another go at it. I'm bringing the Guzzi this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    Yea, that sounds like a real bummer
    Well, yes, Bob, I deserved to be called out on that one! I also complain that it is too sunny, there's too many choices at the buffet, and there are too many beautiful women at the beach. If you are going to the rally, I will ask you to slap me hard for that remark. Too many chicanes, what an idiotic statement!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Hell, it isn't even a close match for the SS46.
    Alex, is that an Alpine road?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

warredon
    I see big trucks in the Gap more often than you might think, they should not be allowed. I ran across this a few years ago, I believe the driver was from Wisconsin. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I ride the NC/TN mountains a lot, and have ridden the Dragon many times. Here's my advice:

1) Ride it on a weekday.

2) Ride it at speed limit or speed limit +5 in the straights. Feel free in the corners. You'll notice that cops usually sit on a straight section just after a corner, looking for people who are exiting the corner at speed an accelerating in the straight. If you power through a corner, let off at the end and slow down for the straight.

3) Cops will drive the Dragon also, keep on your side of the yellow.

4) Have a radar detector.

5) If you MUST get into it, and you want to ride hard, I suggest riding a section, like 1 or two miles, and make sure it is cop free. Then, turn around and nail it on the section you've cleared. Of course, a cop could still pop up but you are likely OK.

6) The area around there has so many great roads. Too many to list. They are all really as good as the Dragon, just not famous.

7) Always signal other riders if you see a cop. Pat your helmet. I've been saved, and saved others, many times. If we work as a team, we can beat the cops.

8) I have occasionally run scout. I get about a 5 minute head start and run at the limit. If I see a cop, I U turn and if my buddy see's me coming back, he knows to slow down. Of course, this is for stationary cops, not cops driving as you'd have to pass them to warn a buddy!

9) Drag that knee and have fun (keeping the above in mind); And keep your eyes open for cars/bikes/trucks coming into your lane. It is not a track.

My avatar too is a pic on the Dragon from Killboy.com
    A big 2nd to all of the above. I live here and monitor our local boards. The wrath of the THP and Blount County Sheriff's Dept is at its highest on the weekends. We have lots of wonderful roads in the area, some that equal the infamous "Dragon". As motorcyclists we share in the demise of the dragon. Hooligan riding, loud pipes, and other antisocial antics as well as numerous accidents with injuries or fatalities led to this.

If you must ride it, do it during the week. Also, US421 from Bristol to Mountain City a.k.a. "The Snake" has stepped up enforcement due to the same problems as US129 across Deals Gap. Watch out.

Now, a little self promotion. The BMW Riders of Knoxville are having a pre-rally in Del Rio (near Newport) just prior to the national. We are the "locals" and can give lots of advice on great riding all over east Tennessee and western North Carolina. Check it out and get in the good riding before the national rally starts.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Alex, is that an Alpine road?
    Yes it is.

I contacted the owner of that Deal's Gap web site some time ago and asked him how he defined a "curve". Well don't get too excited, because there aren't 318 curves in 11 miles. What I call a curve, he was counting as two or three curves; everytime the radius changed, etc. even though to anybody it is one curve.

For your viewing pleasure (turn down the volume..he didn't use a mic sock)...

SS 46 - Part 1

SS 46 - Part 2

SS 46 - Part 3

Not very twisty, but some nice narrow sections...Kaiserjaegerweg...same road by another rider...same road by yet another rider heading in the opposite direction.

If you like twisties and some pretty wild riding (no comments on their attire though...nuts!) here is one done in Corsica...it gets better one-third of the way through.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Am I the only one who has no interest in Deal's Gap?

The last road I want to be on is one with 300 other bikers...

Okay Okay, so I keep checking just to see if I really am missing something.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    300 other bikers some who are blatantly breaking the law endangering themselves and others. On the plus side there might be some great photo ops. Would not have to have all that law enforcement if there was not trouble in the making.
    If we work as a team, we can beat the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Am I the only one who has no interest in Deal's Gap?
    No, +1 here. Besides, too straight and not challenging enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    The last road I want to be on is one with 300 other bikers...
    Correction, 300 other bikers, most of whom really don't know what they're doing. If they did, they wouldn't crash and a "Tree of Shame" wouldn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by scbmwrider View Post
    5 hours to 100 miles as the crow flies .
    Thats when a road becomes interesting and when an SS1000 becomes meaningful.

There are MANY great roads in N GA, W NC, the SC escarpment and E TN.
    Thats what we should do; have a sticky in each regional folder with only YouTube, Yahoo videos of the roads in that region.

If you have any videos that riders have uploaded of the roads you've taken, post the links here.

Quote Originally Posted by warredon View Post
    ...What the hell was he thinking....

A bit too much Jack Daniels, I would guess.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    It has become a destination for many riders. There are MANY great roads in N GA, W NC, the SC escarpment and E TN.

I'm looking forward to finding more roads in E TN myself. Lets see the Gap is 150 miles away, the boring way, and shady Valley is 40.
    Some of the best riding you will find anywhere starts about 35-40 miles from the rally site in the mountains of Virginia. When you live in the Virginia mountains and go to Deal's Gap, you wonder why you wasted the time. I rode all the way to Deal's Gap and left better roads that are ten minutes from my house.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Some of the best riding you will find anywhere starts about 35-40 miles from the rally site in the mountains of Virginia. When you live in the Virginia mountains and go to Deal's Gap, you wonder why you wasted the time. I rode all the way to Deal's Gap and left better roads that are ten minutes from my house.
    Look forward to riding those roads - coming to and going from the rally.

Brett
    I ride down and ride the Dragon every year on my 04 R1150gs and I don't drag knees but I do drag foot pegs. I try to get there Sunday night and camp. Sunday it is very busy, lots of police but it clears out late. Then I get up first thing Monday morning pack up my tent and ride it with no one else on the road and have a blast. I must say that even though I ride Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and NC on the way nothing beats the 11 miles and 318 curves of the dragon for a 20 minute blast of adrenaline. Other rides and roads are great but if you hit the dragon right with no traffic, cars or trucks in your way that 20 minutes is worth the 765 miles I ride to get there. Then I get to ride the NC roads and spend a few days on the parkway getting home. It's all about planning, weekends are out for sure but the same goes for all the roads in the area even the parkway. Plan good and ride this whole area Monday through Thursday and you will love every minute of it.

Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa