Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet suggestions

Seeking Mental Floss
    Just bought another Shoei RF-1000. Can't beat it IMHO. BTW, the windshield opinion offered above may be a real answer. Since I got my CalSci windshield, both me and my wife have noticed much less neck fatigue and buffetting in the wind.
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

Someone mentioned a modular helmet leaking air earlier in this thread. I'd like to explore that just a little. Mine is an HJC and it too leaks to the extent that I can't wear it in cold weather. I use a full face when it's cold and I'm not really fond of full face helmets. It too is an HJC and I like it a lot for a full face helmet.

Does anyone know of a modular that will hold the air out in the winter. I really like the modular helmet 'cept for this one issue. I can ride with mine with the shield up with no problems which is the way I like to ride in the city. Out on the highway I pull it down with great results to my riding comfort and safety. I recommend it with the caveat mentioned.

BTW I also like my Nolan open face with the face shield and darkened half shield. Nolan may make the round fit as well as the oval fit. My head is large and oval. My helmet is large and round and hurts the front and back of my head when its been on an hour or so. I didn't discover this till I had worn it a few weeks so I can't send it back. So if you buy a Nolan you might keep this in mind. Buy the one that matches your head shape.

Seeking the 4TH dimension _RockZ_'s Avatar
    I just went to a local shop and the selection was Poor Need to get to a bigger city to find the selection.

Like the online deals but if I get it online there is no way to try on for Fit and I was told all helmets fit differently,so try on before I buy is this true?
    Or can i find the size at a dealer and then get the same size online?
    Friend of Bill W. Kiss the Wife.Love the Kids.Live the Day.

2005 R1200RT
    MOA#147877

Quote Originally Posted by _RockZ_ View Post
    I just went to a local shop and the selection was Poor Need to get to a bigger city to find the selection.

Like the online deals but if I get it online there is no way to try on for Fit and I was told all helmets fit differently,so try on before I buy is this true?
    Or can i find the size at a dealer and then get the same size online?
    There's really no way to get the fit right without trying on the helmet. Different manufacturers use different basic shapes and even within their own lines they may have different shapes between the models. If you can find a helmet that fits correctly and then shop for the same helmet online then you should be OK, but don't expect that other models by the same manufacturer will be the same. I did order directly online but had a very good idea of the shape of helmet that fit me well and followed the manufacturers measurement directions exactly.

FWIW I use an Arai XD3 and am very happy with it. No bells and whistles like a flip down sun shield, I just carry a pair of straight temple sun glasses for that, but it's fairly light and very well made. I was a little worried about a helmet with a visor but even with my stock GSA shield I've never noticed it catching any wind. The helmet is very quiet and has great ventilation but seals up well if you need it. I've ridden down to 17 degrees in it and had no problems with cold seeping in. The enduro style isn't for everyone but I really am happy with the XD3.