Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet suggestions

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar

Helmet suggestions

I'm having problems with my neck & I'm looking for a lighter weight helmet to replace my Shubert. I have been spoiled by the flip down sun visor option so having that would be a real plus.
    I know I can (and have) googled for light weight helmets & such, what I am looking for is what people are using and how well they like the helmet.
    TIA!
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Vemar's also comes in blue tooth and a few other colors
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

I've got an HJC carbon fibre helmet and love it, especially the light weight. I had used Arai, but hated their incredibly cumbersome shield-changing mechanism. The HJC mechanism is great by comparison. I have the FS-10 in carbon fibre (bought in 2007). It's been superceded by the FS-15 carbon. Go to WebBikeWorld and they have the weights of all the helmets they've reviewed.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/
    Last edited by marcopolo; 03-05-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Rally Rat

helmet

Go to a big dealer and try on every brand. Some of the lighter and cheaper helmets are very noisy. Every manufacturer has a different form for the head shape. If it does not feel good when you try it on, it will never fit.

I used a Schuberth for 6 years and would have bought another one if they were available in the states. At the Gillette Rally I tried on every brand I could find. The Nolan N-3 gave me the best fit for my round head, had a great drop down sun shield and seemed well padded. I really like the fog shield that mounts inside the face shield. When they became available I bought one at my local dealer. I rate it equal or better than the Schuberth and about $300 cheaper than trying to get one overseas. With ear-plugs it is as quiet as any flip front helmet I have ever owned.

Nolan's website doesn't show an N-3. Maybe it's something else ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by apretzl View Post
    I'm having problems with my neck & I'm looking for a lighter weight helmet to replace my Shubert. I have been spoiled by the flip down sun visor option so having that would be a real plus.
    I know I can (and have) googled for light weight helmets & such, what I am looking for is what people are using and how well they like the helmet.
    TIA!
    Hey Andy, let me know your thoughts on that Vemar Jiano. Look pretty neat, but they don't mention specs/weight. I like the sun shade. Wonder how quiet it is and you being a rounder, I would wonder about cold air infiltration. I find my Nolan allows a lot of cold air in when it's 30 degrees or colder.
    I guess there's no perfect helmet for everyone. Oh well, guess I'm just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    Hey Andy, let me know your thoughts on that Vemar Jiano. Look pretty neat, but they don't mention specs/weight. I like the sun shade. Wonder how quiet it is and you being a rounder, I would wonder about cold air infiltration. I find my Nolan allows a lot of cold air in when it's 30 degrees or colder.
    I guess there's no perfect helmet for everyone. Oh well, guess I'm just thinking out loud.
    I asked Tony D to check out the Jiano for me when he went to the dealer show. I haven't seen him since then so I don't know if he saw any there or not. Hopefully he'll be at the March meeting.
    02 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Nolan's website doesn't show an N-3. Maybe it's something else ?
    It's the new N-103: http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n103ncom.htm.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Anyone have either a HJC FS-15 or a Bell Star? Both lightweight but lacking the internal visor. Bell gets good marks for venting.
    02 R1150RT

Arai

I've owned a number of brands and then in 1999 I purchased an Arai, I would never buy or wear anything else, I've had six since 1999.
    It provides amazing comfort and is light, they are a little more expensive but in my opinion it's worth every penny.

Just to be helpful,I'll say that the wind situation affects my neck more(it's a variable) than my Shuberth. I rode the windy strait of Tehuacan sp? a year ago and it killed my neck as did Kansas riding on many days in the past. Maybe you need another WS or neck exercises?

I'll ad that I was thinking as a former(very former) football player in that the way you deal with the neck is exercise and not just because of helmet weight(football helmets are extremely heavy just in case you are unaware) but to prevent injury. Riding down the hwy at high speeds, shaking around your head on a bumpy path , is a situation that says your neck can use some muscle tone to hold up to helmet weight,wind pressure on head/helmet and vibration. It's spring and if you have been couch potatoing the neck might need some work before long rides.
    Last edited by kantuckid; 03-08-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I reviewed the N-103 for a future issue of the Owner's News and can say that it is heavier than expected. However the aerodynamics make it feel almost on par with my Arai Quantum f. I will say that a full face non flip up will typically be lighter than any flipup.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Check www.webbikeworld.com and click on the helmets button. They have weights and measures as well as comprehensive reviews of most helmets.
    Jeff Peterson
    Fairfax, VA
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

are12c

Talking

Try a white one.

I just picked up a new HJC FS-10. I've only used it twice, but like it a lot. I found it online at a steep discount. Nice helmet, especially for the $. I get a new helpmet every three years, I've liked the HJC a lot.

Good luck with your hunt.
    I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know. - Mark Twain
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA #125016
    BMWRAI #30539