Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batterytender fail.

Capt. Grudo

Batterytender fail.

Hi to all.

Just got off the phone with the Batterytender people. Bad.
    First of all, they don't return phone calls.

Now the story. My little Batterytender failed. Called customer service. Was told that they have 5 year warranty and to send mine in. No word about additional fees.

Send mine in. Called a week later. They got my batterytender Jr. and it is not working and it is under warranty. Now... do I want to give my credit card number for the "warranty fee"?

"Warranty fee" WT&^% is that? something is warranted or it isn't.

Refused to pay and will buy another - by a different company.

Just to let you guys know.
    Doron
    1991 K75
    2005 R1200RT - Totalled but not forgotten.
    2005 R1200GS

In all fairness you did not disclose how much the fee actually was. Was it about the same as the cost of shipping back by a reputable courier + a small handling charge for paperwork?
    BatteryTender make a reasonable product. How may other items out there carry a 5 year warranty? Don't be too harsh on them.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Capt. Grudo
    Yes, I should have disclosed the fee.
    Together with shipping back to me, it is $11.00
    No big deal. My R1200RT cost me $20,000.
    However, there is more to the story
    1. No fee and/or returning cost were discussed at initial call.
    2. With my cost of shipping to them, the whole deal would have cost me $19.00
    3. New Batterytender Jr on Ebay is $24 (well, plus shipping)

Still, that is not the whole story. I am not after saving a penny. I buy all my tires from my dealer and service my bikes there. If I may use an overused phrase: "it's not the money".

Of course the product is good and of course it is offered with 5 years warranty. That is exactly why I bought it. Now, what does 5 years warranty mean? You pay for shipping both ways plus a (yes, a small) "warranty fee".

I ride for over 20 years. It is the first time that I am complaining about a product. I probably could have bought a nice used bike with what I spent on aftermarket toys. Never heard of a "warranty fee".
    Doron
    1991 K75
    2005 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by dorongrudo View Post
    Refused to pay and will buy another - by a different company.
    I have four Optimate III Battery Optimisers.

At least one of them has been on non-stop for 4 years.

They are good enough that some major motorcycle manufacturers (Honda, etc) have them relabelled under their own name.

Still, that is not the whole story. I am not after saving a penny. I buy all my tires from my dealer and service my bikes there. If I may use an overused phrase: "it's not the money".

Of course the product is good and of course it is offered with 5 years warranty. That is exactly why I bought it. Now, what does 5 years warranty mean? You pay for shipping both ways plus a (yes, a small) "warranty fee".

I ride for over 20 years. It is the first time that I am complaining about a product. I probably could have bought a nice used bike with what I spent on aftermarket toys. Never heard of a "warranty fee".
    Well, these things cost $25-$30. Consider what they cost BatteryTender to make and sell. Likely they're recouping a portion of the cost of a new unit. Why not call it a deductible? If you had to pay $8 to ship to them, they likely have pay less than that simply due to economies of scale. Even if they pay half what you did to ship ($4), it means that they are charging you $7.00 for the "warranty fee" I'm willing to bet that these little beauties don't cost them that much more to make.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

advrider.com
    So, replacement one for $19, or new one for $24+.

Seems like a deal to me..

Did you pay extra for the warranty? Did you buy it because of the warranty? How did your battery tender fail? How long have you had it?

Warranty typically is FOB factory. If you read the fine print it is your responsibility for freight costs both ways in most cases if not all. Some may return freight PPD but that is rare. I deal with warranty issues regularly and thats the way it's typically done.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

I think their mistake was calling the fee a "Warranty fee". That would piss anybody off.
    They should have explained it all up front and everyone would've been happy.

Hey dorongrudo:

Can I pay the $11 and have it shipped here?
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Capt. Grudo

Batterytender

MotorradMike

Oh, yes. Great Idea. Call them, give my name and ask for it to be shipped to your address. They can call me to verify - 832-439-7343.

It's a Win Win situation

They feel that they did their job.
    You get an $11 Batterytender Jr (including shipping).
    I feel morally justified at being pissed off.
    Doron
    1991 K75
    2005 R1200GS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've already spent (lost) the $8.00 to ship your old unit to them. You won't get that back. So you choice is a) spend $11 for a new replacement from them, or b) $24 + shipping for one from eBay. If "a" then you total cost will be $19. If "b" then it will be $32 + shipping. I know what I'd do.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

But if he buys the new one from eBay he gets a 5 year warranty!!

Quote Originally Posted by forshoes View Post
    But if he buys the new one from eBay he gets a 5 year warranty!!
    Right. But...since he feels like they didn't treat him fair, then if or when the second one fails he can buy from someone else.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Capt. Grudo
    Your calculations are correct. Following that logic I would have paid my $11.00 and never post this thread. At the danger of repeating myself: "it is not about the money".

There are so many considerations when one decide on "what shall I do now". Each person and situation are different. If lucky, we sometimes we have the luxury of deciding according to "what I think is right". In this case of the $11.00 I am that lucky and I do what I think is right.

As a matter of fact, my other BatteryTender is the bigger one with two banks. I will not need another charger till I buy my dream TW200 to play in the backyard.
    Doron
    1991 K75
    2005 R1200GS

Seeking Mental Floss

$20k or $11. or $32. + 5yr. warranty
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753