Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rider to Passenger Intercom Communication

Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    So the Autocom box doens't come with headphones and a mic?
    I think I made this confusing. The typical set comes with one set of head phones and mike. However, they are also sold as just the unit only without the headphone gear.

It's possible a rider has two bikes with Autocom, but only needs one wired helmet for both. In other cases, if wanting to ride with second passenger, then you would need an extra set for the second helmet.
    Luck favors those who are prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I have wondered if a remote antenna would help? Our radios lay flat in the tankbags, on occasion we try to stand them up with antenna poking out the top edge of the tankbags. Some places we have gotten 4 miles, usually 2-3.
    2 mile range seems pretty good. Autocom makes an external "Blade" antenna which was sold to be used with their Kenwood AV1 when they had them available. It's kind of a flat rubberized blade that was intended to be mounted internally such as inside a faring or along the frame.

I had mine routed out the back and hidden under the rear top case shelf.(1200RT) It has about a 24" wire lead that screws into the antenna port of your waki Talki and then it transitions into the blade part. Probably not great having it mounted horizontally, but I get a 2 mile range so I'm happy. If you look up the center, it looks almost like a strip of black electrical tape.
    Very stealthy since no wired antenna sticking up anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luck favors those who are prepared.

I have an Autocom which I bought in 2007 for a round-trip to California with my wife. It made all the difference in the world. I am very satisfied with it (Active-Plus - Kit 200 Duo). It came with everything I needed for me and my wife (pillion) and aside from rider/passenger intercom, I also use it for GPS audio and iPod. It's also capable of handling bike-to-bike (with radio, of course), phone and radar detector. I later bought another style of helmet lead for me so that I could use in-ear speakers vice the standard Autocom in-helmet speakers.

Remaining Autocom units should be attractively priced now as they are about to introduce a new line for 2009 (including some wireless). In fact, you can see them now on Autocom's UK website, though parts of the site do not yet have the content for the new products). Also be aware that Top Gear will no longer be Autocom's US distributor. It would appear that Autocom is still searching for a replacement (if you go to the UK website and scroll to find the US distributor, you're referred back to Autocom UK).

http://www.autocom.co.uk/
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

BlueAnt

we just got two of these and they are great for not much money. They are wireless and rechargeable and also interface to you phone.
    http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-...helmet-kit.htm
    the Luz

Intercom decision

Hello Camshaft!

While vacuming the net last winter for a Bluetooth headset that matched my demands I came upon the German make AKE.

Even though you may not go for the Bluetooth setup, take a real good look at AKEs wired systems at www.motorbike-communication.com
    You??ll find the US dealers on their site.

AKE have simple systems for only Intercom all the way up to maxed out systems with hook-ups for everything, incl an Espresso machine... ;-)

Also read these reviews

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...etooth-101.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../ake-powercom/

THEN you can make your decision... ;-)

I have no affiliation with AKE.
    Why I promote them is because their products works.
    And I like things that works as marketed.

Brgds,
    // Taurus

intercom

I was at the International Moto Show in Greenville this weekend and bought a Chatter Box XBi. Upon returning home, installed it, all I can say is Great.
    My wife and I have traveled 200 miles since and love it. Phone calls are clear ( not that I bought if for that). Putting the system in each helmet was easy and the finish is good. The unit is capable of rider to passenger, phone calls, sat radio and gps. It is a bluetooth unit that is rechargable in 1 to 2 hrs.

The limiting factor with all of the hand held FRS/GMRS radios are the antennas. The outrageous advertised ranges are just that and you would have no chance in realizing those ranges in the real world. These radios are line of site, if the sending and receiving antennas are not in site of each other for the most part they are unable to communicate. I was interested in better usable range and to do so had to move to a 4 watt Kenwood GMRS and install a externally mounted, Non Ground Plane, 3 dB gain antenna on the side of my top box. I don't know what my range is now but I have been able to communicate with other users, in flat areas, so far away I could not see them. And yes I purchased the appropriate FCC License.

Post I have it

Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft View Post
    So is the active plus duo for $269 a good deal? Does anyone have experience with this model? It appears to come with everything I need for 2 up riding right?

http://www.topgearaccess.com/store/i...kit200duo.html

Thanks again!
    I have it and have used it for one season. Overall it works well. I comes with all the wires, mics, and cables needed for two. If you want to run your GPS into it as I do you will need the isolated cable. I have in ear speakers now made into a set of custom ear plugs. My only disappointment with the system is with the adapters from AutoCom for the in ear monitors. It frequently cuts in and out. Both rider and passenger units do it. I have had them both replaced and the replacements do it too. Its very annoying on a trip. I also run my phone to my garmin and the autocom by bluetooth so I had to get the bluetooth dongle. All in all its a good system but they do nickel and dime you to death to get it set up the way you might want it. So think about how you want it. I bought things in increments as I figured out what I wanted and needed. I would also recommend the coiled leads which don't come with the system and you have to pay still more money to get. I think sometimes for all I've spent, perhaps I could have gotten aother system like the Baer unit because I have probably laid out $400. I don't know if it does bluetooth or not though.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312
    http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/

I've used Autocom's extension for in-ear monitors for the last two years without any sort of hiccup whatsoever. Is it possible their lead is not the problem?
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Kenwood Unit

Thanks everyone for all the info here. The bike I bought came wired with an Autocom and now that I'm remarried [took me 50 yrs to get it right] and riding 2 up we're looking to set it up for a rider. This also has a "Mix It" device.

The bike came with a Kenwood 3101TK walkie talkie type unit that I doubt that I'll ever use. It sounds, from reading the comments of others, that these are used for bike to bike chatter. What is a good 'sale' price to list for one of these?

Also from reading, it sounds as if I only need two headsets for rider/passenger communication?

I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff so any help anyone can forward would be greatly appreciated!!

Feel free to respond with your thoughts here or privately to

Steve Magas
    bikelawyer@aol.com

THANKS

SMM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steven M. Magas
    BikeLawyer@aol.com

"Protecting the rights of those who ride..."

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    I've used Autocom's extension for in-ear monitors for the last two years without any sort of hiccup whatsoever. Is it possible their lead is not the problem?
    Yes I am sure. I have used the in-ear speakers plugged directly into the gps or mp3 player with no problems of any type.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    Yes I am sure. I have used the in-ear speakers plugged directly into the gps or mp3 player with no problems of any type.
    Just a thought here...if you have tried this,disregard
    I also have not had any issues with inline adapters with my earbuds after three years of use. Do you use the VOX only feature and if so did you play with the little squelch adjuster yet inside the unit? When we first got ours, leaving the helmet flipped up or the shield open would cause the mic to activate from the wind and shut off/lower the volume thru our earbuds momentarily. Adjusted the settings a few times and got that to stop. I kept looking for loose connections at first.

We use the PTT switch now,only drawback is if you turn the three way switch to VOX or "always open" by accident,you can either entertain or annoy your sidekick
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I also have not had any issues with inline adapters with my earbuds after three years of use. Do you use the VOX only feature and if so did you play with the little squelch adjuster yet inside the unit? When we first got ours, leaving the helmet flipped up or the shield open would cause the mic to activate from the wind and shut off/lower the volume thru our earbuds momentarily. Adjusted the settings a few times and got that to stop. I kept looking for loose connections at first.

We use the PTT switch now,only drawback is if you turn the three way switch to VOX or "always open" by accident,you can either entertain or annoy your sidekick
    I have a little. It seems maybe a smidge too sensitive however, if I jiggled the wire comping out of the adaptor, the speaker will cut in and out.

Oh yeah I use VOX exclusively.
    Last edited by empeg9000; 02-26-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Add some more info...
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

Tina and I communicate clearly via an Autocom. We have our iPod plugged into it, too.

Even at silly speeds, we can communicate clearly.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Here's a question. PTT. How is it done by both pilot and pillon? Does the passenger have a button too? Or am I missing something?
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?