Thread: bar risers

davemulac@yahoo.com

bar risers

I have a 2005 GS1200. I added an aftermarket seat last year which raised me up just a bit. It would be more comfortable for me if I was able to raise the bars up just a little. I orderd some bar risers from Ilium and thought I would be able to install them myself. Once I realized that the throttle cable wasn't long eough I consulted my local BMW dealer. They said they didn't recommend them and couldn't help me. Any suggestions?

BMWRich58
    Here's whatcha' need.

I'm using the 25mm risers and they feel good and no need for longer cables. If anything maybe a re-routing of a cable or two but most likely not..(at least I did not have to).
    Order from Santa Cruz BMW

Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

How big are the risers you bought? If in the 25-35 mm range the cables should fit, although some drop the right side fork tube and route the cables on the other side of the clamp to get a bit more space. It's about a 15 minute job.

I did not need to do that with my 25 mm risers. I did need to clip a cable tie or three, but they were likely ties that I added for accessory wiring.

// marc

BMWRich58
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    How big are the risers you bought? If in the 25-35 mm range the cables should fit, although some drop the right side fork tube and route the cables on the other side of the clamp to get a bit more space. It's about a 15 minute job.

I did not need to do that with my 25 mm risers. I did need to clip a cable tie or three, but they were likely ties that I added for accessory wiring.

// marc
    I'm using 25mm. No cable re-routes/adjustments needed. Sorry missing a photo of the setup......
    If you do install the risers,be sure to turn the handle bars fully to each side and make sure no binding or pulling of the cables.

I believe the measurements on the new GS models ('08 an up) that come with the factory mounted higher bars are in the 25-30mm range.