Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Spokane-The $91 Aftermath

ghostryder
    Just so you know, radar needs a steady, clear target to "lock" onto thats why when traveling on the highway it is good to stay next to larger objects. The doppler radar has a hard time picking the smaller object up and you can get lost in the "Shadow" of the bigger vehicle. However when your taged in the middle of nowhere, a honest approach always works. Like, "Yes sir I know I was speeding, Why? Because I didnt think you were around of course"
    Laser on the other hand is target specific. Look through the cross hairs, press the trigger and whamo. You can be taged from about 5-600 feet away. In other words by the time you see them, they have you. Also difficult to fight in court. Laser does not disperse like radar over a distance.
    I guess just stay about 15 over and you should be o-kay. Now as for a sense of humor, If he was smiling, walking towards him with a ticket book in one hand, and a pair of cuffs in the other....now that is a sense of humor.

Originally posted by Ghostryder
    Just so you know, radar needs a steady, clear target to "lock" onto thats why when traveling on the highway it is good to stay next to larger objects. The doppler radar has a hard time picking the smaller object up and you can get lost in the "Shadow" of the bigger vehicle.
    Believe it or not we got new radar units that can distinguish from multiple targets going both directions. It will display both the largest and the fastest target. Heck I can even track a car coming up behind me, same direction, while I'm moving. Fighting it now comes down to operator error and how much the court will hear.

The other night I had some squid go by me at 20 over a little after midnight. Not smart on a twisty country road prone to deer and loose cattle. It didn't prompt a response til he went WFO as he passed me. The next cop down the road clocked him at 85-100 MPH and the third cop barely saw him as he crossed the town line but was amazed he even stayed upright. And none of the these cops pursued him! Seems like a big risk for a little ticket. Those idiots give up all a bad name.

MArkF

ghostryder

Talking

I see you work for one of thos fancy departments that have all the new fun toys!!!! I bet you even have some of those luxry items like, working radios, cars with ac, and probably even a computer or two huh????
    I have heard about those units, but we stay away from them, our dept likes the laser units, and I must admit they are kinda fun, They do have some limitations though. Well thanks for the update on the radar units. Stay safe.

Originally posted by Ghostryder
    I see you work for one of thos fancy departments that have all the new fun toys

our dept likes the laser units, and I must admit they are kinda fun
    Some kinda grant. The town would never buy them. We used that last unit (bought on a grant) for over ten years.

I don't like laser - too much work. It's the difference between watching cars and "shooting" cars. Although it is great for multi-lane highways.

MarkF

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar
    This thread has me confused. MSF says ride between the clumps of traffic. This thread says ride in traffic and then we are told they can track us in traffic. Damn, one of these days I may have to give up speeding.

From a speeder point of view I like laser (Widely used in Ohio). The V1 and CB do not exempt me from a dillgent watch. (yes, it is a sport, not getting caught I need more toys to avoid capture). The beauty of Laser is they need a sraight line of sight which means they are close to the painted white line on the side of the road and easy to see.

I've actually wondered how much they like being so close to traffic. Seems to me they spend enopugh time there when they stop someone. I had a friend when I was a part time medic. He saw the mini van coming, with mom turned around yelling at the kids, he tried to get out of the patrol car, he was in the doorway when she impacted the Cruiser. I was unfortunately dipatched to the accident. He was badly hurt, but did survive on disability till he died of cancer a year later. This still bugs me.

Maybe this helps me get just a lecture sometime, but my last stop a couple years ago was in PA on I80. I knew he was coming and considered stopping. But my memories make me concerned for both of us. I eased up, waved to him, pointed ahead to try to indicate around the bend, saw the exit 1.5 miles and pointed to that, pulled into the dirt off the paved shoulder of the exit ramp, well away from traffic. We had a nice long talk about bikes, nice guy.
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

ghostryder

Smile

Im sorry I was not trying to tell anyone to ride in clumps of trafic. I personally like to ride in between the clumps. I was just trying to offer up a suggestion or two for those of you who like to particapate in the sport or speed detection, or evasion which ever side you happen to be on. I like to look at it as a sport myself. Just something that is kind of fun to do on those days when I get bored. Like a big video game. Well that is just the way I look at it.
    As far s sitting so close to traffic....not me I never do it. I will usually sit around a curve, or at the bottom of a hill, somewhere I can get a view of about 5-600 feet or so. This way I can sit off to the right of the road and get a good "shot" while I am safe, and away from the flow of traffic. I have seen, and been caught by the troopers here in Ga that sit on the left side shoulder, just past he crest of a hill, or around a bend and I think that they are nuts. That is way too close to traffic for me.....for what? A speeding ticket? Nope not worth it.
    To me the important thing is to just keep an eye on your surroundings, and drive in a defensive mode. Always ride safe.

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar
    My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek for much of that post. Ohio troopers on the turnpike use barrier cut throughs that protect most of the car from both directions. Troopers elsewhere are different.

In Columbus you see them out with the "students". I've seen this on the left berm on the outside of a curve standing between the car and the cement barrier, doesn't look safe to me. Around my home Progressive Ins. donated a bunch to local departments. Some of these officers are nutz!!!!! I came around a bend in express lanes to find one on the left berm. He could barely get the door to the car open enough to stand there with his laser gun and only inches between his car and the lane of traffic. To make it worse (good for surprise) is the barrier was high enough he was concealed until you were on top of him. I was startled when he came into view. Ohio law says you must slow down or change lanes for law enforcement on the shoulder. This guy was going to get killed or kill someone who too rapidly changed lanes into another vehicle or braked suddenly in heavy traffic. This was rush hour on a heavily traveled road. You had to be lucky to be between packs and able to speed, but he was going to get that sucker come hell or high water.
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

FN in MT

Attitude

MT Troopers may be a lot more laid back so take this with a grain of salt. THE big thing out here with the majority of us is not so much the NUMBER on the radar unit but the SITUATION.
    +15 over or even more on a wide open stretch of Interstate 15 or I-80 is one thing. But 55 mph on a small Town street with kids,dogs,etc is another thing. Or 100+ through heavy traffic, bad passes, high speeds on a road with deer,elk,cattle.

I have always looked at the totality of the situation; the weather,road conditions, VEHICLE, DRIVERs ability,etc. Plus I have to say the Drivers ATTITUDE has a lot to do with it. It's tougher to write one out to a friendly and HONEST violator who admits to the speed, than a wisee ass with a confrontational attitude.

Honesty is a big one, as we tend to deal with so many irresponsible people. That dishonesty and lack of responsibility tends to wear on us after a few years.

And you have to remember too. We are the ones who have to clean up the mess when YOU wreck. Even after many.many years on the job injury accidents are upsetting and fatal accidents even more so. You don't know what its like to call or worse yet stop in person to give a death notice to a Family.

FN in MT MHP#237

Thumbs down 9 over in Wyoming

Car, daylight, Interstate, downhill. No other vehicles. Paid $90 for 84 in a 75. WHP said he gave us a $10 break since we were wearing seatbelts. Local rider said to stay out of court in WY. The court would just add costs to the fine.