Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HJC Helmets anyone?

If you are looking at getting an HJC flip up helmet you may want to check out their most recent model. The HJC IS-Max looks llike an update for the Symax. Here is the New Enough page for IS-Max, http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eye...le_helmet.html

It looks to me like the IS-Max is a lower cost version of the Symax

IS max is molded polycarbonate
    Sy Max is fiberglass spectra composite weave.

It stands to reason the fiber re-enforces shell is the higher cost and intended to be better.

That being said, I have a Sy-Max. In general it is OK. 3 things I do not like

It has open ear areas, probably for speakers. I do not use speakers and I think it makes the helmet noisy.

The other thing is there is no padding on the chin bar, just a hard plastic piece between your chin and the actuating mechanism for the latch.

I admit that I do not know how these affect crash performance. I hope I never find out.

Fogging between the sunshade and visor, never clears.

Things I like

The sun shade, I love it, I wish they offered a darker one, but this one is great.

My first flip front, getting the glasses on is so nice.

Steel latch for the chin bar, I know it attaches to plastic, and again I have no interest in testing it. I think it is safer.

Everything works nice with heavy winter gloves.

It seems to fit very well.

The visor has almost zero optical distortion. In another few months I will get to test the hard coat washing off the bugs.

I think for the money it is a very nice helmet, I will have to see how it ages.

Rod

Me Too

I have had both the Sy Max and the CL Max and I liked them. They were comfortable for my 2XL head. The open ear cup makes the helmet very easy to put on; but it is NOT quiet. Face shield open one notch to defog - not above 40 mph behind the K75 windshield.
    Gar

I like HJC...

I have a CL-15 that I like quite a bit. It fits me perfectly, very comfortable. However, the venting leaves a little to be desired.

I tried on a Shoei Multitec yesterday, and it, too, fits me very well. In fact, the XXL was too big for me, and the XL fit me perfectly. Of course, the Multitec is a bit more expensive than the HJC, however, when the time comes, I may very well go for a Multitec.

For the money, HJC is hard to beat, IMHO.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Ear holes, HJC's?

Maybe, just maybe the ear holes can be filled to control noise, or would this hinder on and off with the helmet? I may well go after a new HJC very soon, if I can find a 3X somewhere. They make the CLMax in this size, but finding it available! Polycarbonate vs. fibreglass for strength is a good point and would be interesting reading how they are tested against one another. I know the poly helmets must be lighter. Impact? Unknown. My last sevearl have been the high dollar glass helmets and have hit the ground so many times, I lost count. Not with me in it! Dropping my helmets off the bikes seat, etc seems to be my weakness. Randy

Manfred
    In this video: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm a rep from Arai says dropping an empty helmet onto concrete is no cause to be alarmed. When the added mass of one's head (or a bowling ball) is in the helmet, the helmet is damaged.

jeremell
    I have had several models of HJC, never the modular, and I like them. I currently have two full face and one 3/4 HJC helmets. I crash tested an HJC many years ago and I believe it saved my life.

I have a 10 month old Sy-Max. Don't care for it much...

The visor will not stay up. I like to ride with it that way, but the wind at speed forces it down. This started to happen after about the first few rides.

The ear hole area I filled with cut to fit micro fiber towels. Worked great and actually made the in ear customs sound better.

The sunshade is to light and mine is distorted, right where I look through it.

probably my head shape (long oval) but glasses will not work with it. Mine are held off my nose about a 1/4 inch and this causes them to vibrate like hell

It is a much cooler helmet than my close fitting arai signet. A real blessing on those hot humid summer days.

I wouldn't reccomend one to a friend. Take that for what its worth. I sure wish Arai would build one...

On the Road
    southern New Mexico, desert mostly, ride almost year round, put about 15K on the bike commuting over San Agustine Pass each day...

Nolan vs HJC Sysmax II

I have a Nolan N100, it is NOW too big for me, the flip is iffy and the shield no longer indexes at the just open position. This helmet is about 3-3 1/2 years old now and it is time to retire it. I have owned two full face composite HJC's and both are/were excellent in fit and function. I also had an open face HJC that really fit well. I currently have a Sysmax II and I love it. Much better than the Nolan. fits well, noise is tollerable, I like the sun glass/shield, wanted yellow, no dice, so white for conspicuity. I can feel the chin bar on the Nolan with my chin, seems too close to me. Wife has Nolan N102 and she is happy with it. If you go with a Nolan, get one with center, one hand opening feature, ie the N102, the N100 needs to be opened only on the left side, so if stopped with the clutch in, you have to reach around your head with your right hand to open it, and I like to have the bike in gear at stops. Not sure about the N103, but is looks like the N100 in having two releases. The first thing to go on the Nolan was the shield seal, the chin curtian destroyed it. The Nolan also seems noiser than the Sysmax. But that said, my Shoie openface is quieter than any helmet I have ever owned. All in all, I like the HJC better. Craig in NM

I have a FS10 full face I really like, a older SyMax, and a CL Max. I use them all.

THe FS10 is my favorite, SyMax probably second and CL a distant third. Both SyMax and CL are pretty noisey. Full face FS10 much better but not what I would call quiet.

They are the best bang for the buck in my opinion for quality, comfort and fit.

Love the pop-up sun shade in the FS10.

Hint: buy them on eBay after confirming size at local shop and save a bunch of $$$!

SyMax ll delivered to your door for under $200. FS10 about $20 less.

3 Red Bricks
    Randy:

CL-Max $134- $149 Free Shipping No Sales Tax:

http://www.Motorcycle-Superstore.com...ax-Helmet.aspx

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    I have a 10 month old Sy-Max. Don't care for it much...

The visor will not stay up. I like to ride with it that way, but the wind at speed forces it down. This started to happen after about the first few rides.

The ear hole area I filled with cut to fit micro fiber towels. Worked great and actually made the in ear customs sound better.

The sunshade is to light and mine is distorted, right where I look through it.

probably my head shape (long oval) but glasses will not work with it. Mine are held off my nose about a 1/4 inch and this causes them to vibrate like hell

It is a much cooler helmet than my close fitting arai signet. A real blessing on those hot humid summer days.

I wouldn't reccomend one to a friend. Take that for what its worth. I sure wish Arai would build one...

I also have the Sy-Max II. I think the visor ( also like to ride with visor up ) stayed up maybe the first two or three times I used it never again. Emailed HJC and was told to by another shield. Really think it should have lasted longer than a week.

Not good Customer service in My Op. Cant really complain about the rest of it but the visor problem brings it down to average.
    R and R

Thanks;

The Moto Superstore tip is good. I checked my "Helmet City" link and they have this helmet(CLMax 3X) backordered a MONTH out. HJC is selling these apparently. A lot of good feedback on this helmet here at MOA central, so the HJC is likely my next helmet. A Nolan plus, is my best buddy SLID down the pavement for 30 yards one day on his chin bar, NOLAN and it saved his life a few years back. The bar stayed put and a lot of helmet material was rubbed off, but the helmet stayed locked shut. Randy...

Thumbs up

I really like my Symax-II. Love the sun shade but wish there was more air flow. I wear ear plugs so the noise isn't really an issue.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

rgeoffrt

SyMax II

I purchased my Symax II late last year, and have been very pleased with it. I'm on the other end of the spectrum with a 6 7/8 bean, hard to find a good fit for a pea.
    Very comfortable! I like the flip down sun visor, they could one up it and make it polarized. Still wear polarized sunglasses even with the shield.
    I liked the Nolan as well, but just wasn't as good a fit for me. The price difference was fairly large as well.
    The modularity is nice, especially for talking to other riders at stop lights, getting gas, etc.

HTH,