Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Heated Vest vs. Jacket Liner

Thanks everyone for the comments, pretty much a no brainer at this point I will be spending the extra $ to get the jacket

KINCHY
    The Gerbings vest is easier to pack and does keep the torso and neck warm but in cold weather your arms will feel the chill. If I had to do it over I would get the jacket.

BMW vest under Olympia AST:)

I 've had my BMW vest for years now and still use it. A new purchase of the AST Olympia and a Texas road trip recently, with "teens" for temps in the AM hours, proved my setup worked for me. My arms do NOT get cold, with heated grips on high and heated vest simply ON, no thermostat. Had the thermostat and it was a failure, so I wired it to a simple on/off switch and find it perfect. It gets HOT at 45+ outside, but once there, I do not need it anymore. It fits nicely under the AST jacket with liner in place too, so I wear the jacket/liner and vest together. 2x Jacket and ME at 245 and 6'...Into the teens and I was warm. My wife loves her Gerbings liner and finds the arms required for her and I simply do not need the liner. We are different. The liners draw TWICE the current a vest uses, but most new BMW's are a no brainer for this today. The older BMW's a problem exists here, with standard alternators! "Know your equipment"...Randy PS;Voni, missed your place as I rode the Horn of Texas, but found it a wonderful ride all over that area 2 weeks back. I know you were gone! Randy

Brett
    I use the linen BMW and my wife rides with a Gerbings jacket. I wish I had the jacket or that hers would fit. 100 % better than the liner because it also keeps your arms warm. Nothing better than riding warm.

Brett Endress
    Altoona

not really true

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    My arms get cold first. I figured a vest would just make that worse.
    strange as it may seem, if your core body (vest) is warm, all your extrmities are warmer. weird, huh?
    the Luz

Gerbings Jacket liner !
    Warm arms make a big difference, and the Jacket Liner makes it much easer to plug in the Gerbings Gloves ! Grip heaters do a wonderful job of warming my palms, but the back of my hands still freeze. Gerbings Gloves All warm and toasty !

Motorradfahrer
    I agree with those that suggest a heated jacket liner. I wear a BMW Rallye Pro2.

1) Jacket
    2) Jacket liner
    3) Gerbings heated long sleeve liner

Fits perfect. Remember to order the heated long sleeved liner a bit snug so that it fits reasonably snuggly on your body. Don't buy a too loose heated liner.

elkroeger
    Wear the heated jacket as close to your body as is reasonable, so that it heats you, rather than several layers of clothes... Generally, I wear my gerbing's jacket with an insulating layer over it, and both layers go under my roadcrafter (of course). That way it keeps all the heat in better. With this setup, I'm good for long distances in the cold, right down to about freezing temps (which is when I throw in the towel anyway).

I used to have a vest. I used it for about three years. It worked well enough most of the time here in Seattle. Last year my commute tripled in length (30 miles each way), and the vest just wouldn't cut it anymore during that pre-dawn cold in January....

Basically, it all depends on what you're doing. I got the vest for travelling, and I liked the way it took up a little less room. Using it for the commute, it was okay most of the time. Occasionally in the dead of winter, going 50 - 60 miles, I wished I had sleeves. But 95% of the time, the vest was sufficient.

So it depends on how cold you want to go, how far, how often, and what your comfort level is. I got a friend who bought the electric jacket and gloves... and then from October - March he drives his GMC to work anyway. My two cents is that if you're a die-hard rider stretching the limits of old man winter, get the jacket. If you want something for a x-c trip in the summer, the vest might be a better choice. Either way, go for the heat-troller, and use your electrons wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by mtfrench View Post
    I have a Gerbings jacket liner and love it as well. However, my fingers still get numb in the cold temps. Has anyone combined the Gerbings liner with the heated gloves? If so, what are the observations?
    you can get gloves or glove liners. both work well...

JANMILLER
    I use the jacket liner under my Olympia, and all is fine. VERY glad I did the jacket, the heat on the arms is great, as is the heated collar. You do need the controller or you'll fry, though..
    Might take a look at this one:
    http://www.gm-cycles.com/Shop/Contro...id/0/SFV/32653

I am riding the day the ice goes away...

OK, you guys sold me on Gerbings jacket as the one to get.

Talk to me about battery draw; am I going to lose ground (battery speaking) on short 45 mile trips? (my daily commute)

So this jacket has a temp control, or does it have one included with the jacket?

Do the sizes run small or large?

And finally, what other choices are out there? All I hear is Gerbings Gerbings Gerbings ..

Warm-n-Safe is equivalent to Gerbings...same connectors and all

Read his take on his controller vs the Gerbings unit.The original Gerbings was good, seems some folks have had some bad China models...read some threads about that somewhere. I have Gerbings pants, but Warm-n-Safe liner. The controller works a little diff than G's brand.it is solid state pulsing vs. a voltage rheostat. I have the portable/dual controller so I can run pants and jacket seperate and move it from bike to bike with either the BMW plug adapter or the Gerbings/Warm-n-safe direct to battery stereo jack looking plug connection(teknikal term). Have never had an issue with battery drain,even on short runs. After we started using the liners vs the BMW vest...never used the vests again. My BMW outlet on rear of my GS tripped out when Helen plugged into it recently...That one needs to be wired into my Centech in the future... That day she was trying her gloves and jacket at same time.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.htm?P...fb4047e27d1170
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

and...the sizes are talked about on that site...mine ran the same as my jacket size I recall. The thermostat is seperate...of cour$e
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I had a vest before I brought the jacket liner. The liner was alot warmer. There be days when you need both the jacket liner and the gerbing liner.

Roc

Low speed, high drag

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    OK, you guys sold me on Gerbings jacket as the one to get.

Do the sizes run small or large?
    Red-

IF you're going to the Cycle World show in Mpls this weekend, and IF Gerbing's has a booth there, they'll measure you up to make sure you get into the right size. Very helpful.

There are some "fit critical" issues with electric gear that I wasn't fully aware of.

I did this last year, and took the "factory" measurement sheet with me in case I decided to order one later.

Still haven't done it, but I probably will do it someday...