Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Two up with camping gear

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    WOW!

Glad that i didn't have to drive it......
    well you know, it was much easier than you might think.... especially once you got rolling. People would wait to watch how we boarded the critter. Comfortable though. All kinds of things that I could say about that particular adventure but will save that for another trip report. Suffice to say that some safety stuff was sacrificed (uh.... where'd the brakes go?) but that sort of foolishness is behind us now. BTW, we took that trip almost immediately after tearing the motor apart in my basement.

We're much saner now. Really. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

One more important point - if you start to really load stuff on there, make sure you don't exceed GVWR. You'll most likely benefit from a shock with a spring that will cope with the added weight of a passenger and gear as well. We went with Ohlins this time and worked with Ted at The Beemer Shop to get the right springing. It really, really makes a difference in handling. Tina and I can get down the road at a pretty sprightly pace, even loaded up.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Rally Rat
    I couldn't find an easy way to fit tent poles into our hard top case, and it didn't seem as useful for handling camping gear. I bought a Mags Bags U-bag last spring, and highly recommend it. My wife and I each get one side case apiece for clothes (mine has some tools as well). The Mags bag sits on top of the luggage rack and the top of the side cases and I use a couple of Aerostich straps to snug it down. It contains our three person Eureka tent with poles and rain fly, one compressed LL Bean sleeping bag (we're cozy with one very warm bag as a cover), two Thermarest pads, a Jet Boil stove, some freeze dried meals, camp towels, water container, etc. We also keep our extra gear, e.g., heated vests, jacket liners, waterproof liners and gloves, in the Mags bag. The bag is easy to pack and get into, with one big zipper along the top.

Jerry Holtz
    Maplewood NJ

upac ubag

I just came across a upac earlier tonight on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8143&viewitem=

*I don't know anything about the seller or the product...I just thought I'd pass it along...
    1995 K75 A/3 - Will the lifetime memberships ever come back? If so, I want one!
    Peace....Theo

Dry Bags

I borrowed a friend's backpacking tent, etc for an overnight to try it out, and it worked great.

So, I ended buying my own. I recommended backpacking quality for weight and compactness. You can buy some stuff sacks for the sleeping bags to get them small. I stuff all the gear into a 35L, you might want to use a 40L for 2 people, drybag and strap it onto my cargo rack....it serves as a backrest too..

let us know what you try out....and what works for you..
    1995 K75 A/3 - Will the lifetime memberships ever come back? If so, I want one!
    Peace....Theo

Quote Originally Posted by cb75076 View Post
    I couldn't find an easy way to fit tent poles into our hard top case
    tent pole length is a key measurement for me in packing up the gear. I don't like having related gear such as the tent body, poles, & fly packed in different areas on my bike (due to fitment) as I've found that it can lead to leaving a key component behind

If too long there are several suppliers that can build replacement tent poles that break down to your desired length.

Here is one that I've had success with:

TentPole Technologies
    8212 NE 99th Circle
    Vancouver, WA 98662
    www.polesforyou.com
    (360) 260-9527
    FAX (360) 260-9937

Bryan

It Can Be Done

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeffery View Post
    I have a R1150RT and am thinking about camping with my wife. Can you get a tent, two sleeping bags, and two sleeping pads along with the normal overnight gear on the bike? A trailer is out of the question.
    Anyone have pics with all their gear loaded up?

My wife and I rode up to the Wisconsin Rally back in 07. This was my/our first two-up, out of state ride to anywhere on a bike, despite being a motorcycle rider since 1986. We only had the 04 RT for a few months, nothing prepped for such a trip.

We had some camping gear already, but in general had the following in about a week prior to the trip: Bought a "Big Mamu" U Bag, I think it was from California ?

Got hold of a used best-rest from a local BMW owner, then ordered the fit kit for the RT. The Best Rest rack is really nice to have, do get the larger "T" version

We packed a small two-three person tent, still just large enough for a blow-up queen mattess with a battery pump (two roll-pads took up too much room). We used one sleeping bag that would unfold as a large blanket. We utilized bed sheets also. If it's warm, the sleeping bag goes on the bottom and sheets on top. If colder, that arrangment gets flipped. Two sleeping bags was out of the question for this arrangment.

Enough clothing for two days plus what we were wearing was also packed in the U-bag.

Cooking gear (one burner unit, plates, utensils, etc) and minor tools (air compressor, tire plugs, allen wrenches etc) for the bike went into the saddle bags. Tried to leave one saddle bag somewhat open for any nic-nacs picked up along the way.

Last big of space was a nice large tank-bag that could be expanded to fit other stuff as needed. Mostly it held maps, notebook, camera, bottled water and other immediate need items. Bag was by Marsee, magnet mount, but as I understand it, they do not make that all-fabric expandable bag anymore.

Main suggestion is to get smaller bags and isolate clothes, cooking gear, other items, especially if your worried about anything getting wet. If the bag falls out of saddle or U bag, everything stays in little bags, rather than scattered about.

Pillows and towels were small, pocket-size, non-cotton type that would compress easily, locate at REI or other similar camp-supply outlets.

We attended the Helen-2-Wheels seminar at the Rally. My wife and I were impressed with the system and bought some of the bags, plus the tips on packing items in an unconventional mannor as presented by Helen herself. We ended up sending the U bag home from the rally (you usually have to mail stuff home to "make space" on a long trip). Used the Helen 2 wheels system on our way back.

That trip was 4000 miles in two weeks..two up. It can be done, but it was a bit insane. My wife and I now ride separate bikes and I utilize a Uni-go trailer for the RT now. But I hope these tips will work for your current situation.

I have one good pick of that U bag on the RT, but its on another computer, I'll look it up when I get home later.

Good Luck...
    Bryan & Lori
    04 RT
    05 CS
    95 R

random thoughts

I'm a proponent of two up travel with camping. As a strictly money comparison:
    two up travel = $20K vehicle that gets 40 mpg.
    two mc travel = $40K vehicle that gets 20 mpg.

can add up over 4000 miles or so.
    the Luz

geez, i don't know how we managed it back in the Stone Age of Motorcycling, but somehow we did just fine.....

Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Whatever you pack, make sure itÔÇÖs well secured on the bike.

When I was about 19 (ÔÇ£back in the Stone Age of MotorcyclingÔÇØ) I was riding some twisties home from a weekend at a friends camp when the small backpack I had strapped to the seat behind me worked its way into the rear wheel of my Yamaha RD250. Fortunately, I was on one of the few straight-aways on Rte. 160 (East Parsonfield, ME - middle of nowhere) when the rear wheel locked up solid at 80 mph. I rode it out in a nice straight line and ended up coming to a stop at the side of the road with a cloud of blue smoke and a black line of rubber behind me that looked like it went on forever. It seemed to take a long time to stop and the tire made a shrilling screeching sound all the way. Wore a relatively new Dunlop tire down to the canvas . . . just short of popping it. I yanked the remains of the backpack out of the wheel and rode on home . . . about another 50 miles (probably wouldnÔÇÖt chance that today, but I was young and foolish). I could feel that flat spot every time it went around. The funny part was I had come to a stop in front of an old farmhouse where a couple who looked an awful lot like Ma & Pa Kettle and a ragged bunch of country kids were outside grilling up lunch ÔÇô they all just stood there staring at me like I was from Mars. Probably the biggest thing to happen around there in a long time!

Once again . . . the moral of the story is MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SECURE! If that had happened to me on a curve or in traffic somewhere . . . who knows?
    Dean

'04 R1150RT, '97 1100GS, '99 DR350, '02 DR650, '03 DR650

J bag

This may be a foolish question ... but how water tight are the j bags that are shown in the previous treads? I think I need one , one of the company's show "truck tarp" material, as well as cordura with a rain cover which do you recommend?

Thanks
    Brian

Dry Bags

We use a dry bag on the tail as opposed to a trunk. Can fit our tent, bags, pads and a few other things in it.

Deb gets the right bag for whatever she wants to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeone View Post
    This may be a foolish question ... but how water tight are the j bags that are shown in the previous treads? I think I need one , one of the company's show "truck tarp" material, as well as cordura with a rain cover which do you recommend?

Thanks
    Brian
    I have a Mag's Bag that's made out of the truck tarp stuff and it's completely waterproof.

We also have a Mag's Bag Ubag that's made out of their regular stuff. The rain cover fits really well, keeps the bag dry and secures well enough that I don't worry about it blowing off.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.