Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two up with camping gear

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    if you are somehow compelled to hang stuff on your bike, do not use bungees except as some sort of safety catch. Use straps. BTW, after riding two up for over 60,000 miles (two 11,000+mile stretches) let me tell you this: unless duties emerge spontaneously you must divide tasks for take off and landing moments. Do not, once the tasks emerge, get involved in the other's duties. Do not,sir! Also, riding as copilot is not always particularly exciting so be aware of that stress. Can she see in your mirrors? Make it so. Does she have a camera and the determination to document the adventure. Hope so. Trip planning is a cooperative/collaborative thing... do not hog the process . Sharing, patience and communication will help you keep 'feelin the love' Enjoy! -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Just along for the ride JeffMunn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by craigt View Post
    What is a u-bag and where would one find one?

Craig
    Craig, I've used a Jo's U-Pac for years. Jo is a member of our local club here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. She not only makes an incredidle product, but will also customize it for any specific bike, i.e extra reflective material, extra tie-down points, etc.

Here is the link to her web site.

What is a U-Pac? It is a duffle bag that is in the shape of a big U, that lays on top of the saddlebags and goes around behind the passenger. Not only can you fit a ton of stuff in it, but it makes a wrap-around "armchair" for the passenger. My wife loves ours.

In 2004 we went two-up to Alaska. Full camping and cooking gear. Loaded for weeks on the road. We rode onto a Truck Scale outside of Fairbanks and the operator told me we weighed 1100 lbs, fully loaded, full tank, two-up. And yet the GS never flinched doing the Top of the World Highway, the Cassiar, and even the Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay. That U-Pac is a wonderful way to load, and when you get to your campsite, you can unhook it and carry everything to the site at once. Same with loading in the morning. You load it, then carry it to the bike.

If I ever wear this one out, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    And how did you fasten the bag on top of the side case? TIA
    The R12RT has those grab handles on the side of the seat for the passenger so I just attached the straps to that using H2H straps.

4. 02-09-2009, 12:53 AM

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMunn View Post
    Craig, I've used a Jo's U-Pac for years. Jo is a member of our local club here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. She not only makes an incredidle product, but will also customize it for any specific bike, i.e extra reflective material, extra tie-down points, etc.

Here is the link to her web site.

What is a U-Pac? It is a duffle bag that is in the shape of a big U, that lays on top of the saddlebags and goes around behind the passenger. Not only can you fit a ton of stuff in it, but it makes a wrap-around "armchair" for the passenger. My wife loves ours.

In 2004 we went two-up to Alaska. Full camping and cooking gear. Loaded for weeks on the road. We rode onto a Truck Scale outside of Fairbanks and the operator told me we weighed 1100 lbs, fully loaded, full tank, two-up. And yet the GS never flinched doing the Top of the World Highway, the Cassiar, and even the Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay. That U-Pac is a wonderful way to load, and when you get to your campsite, you can unhook it and carry everything to the site at once. Same with loading in the morning. You load it, then carry it to the bike.

If I ever wear this one out, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

jeff

ditto. Same sort of experience here although on older technology. I like your GS set up very much. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Good info in the CampSite

Two-up riding & camping tips.

an oldie but a goodie.

ian

pssst... i've got a jo's upac for sale if you'd like. turns out my wife hates riding *and* camping.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

you can also use some well placed bungie Buddies. you can use them with straps instead of bungies if you chose. their about $ 2.50 apiece. I put a set on my RT just before Gillette last year, and found them very handy...

8. 02-09-2009, 01:16 AM

elkroeger
    Two up camping is a labor of love. My advice is to get a copy of Ray Jardine's book "Beyond Backpacking".

Credit Card camper

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeffery View Post
    Hey thanks for all the help I have a few ideas now to research. I like the comment "A very understanding wife".
    My wife is a credit card camper and roughing it would be an outdoor pool...
    So I have to do it right the first time!

Thanks again.
    If the wife is not a camper A long day in the saddle plus an uneasy night in a tent could mean a shorten trip. May be a good thing to try camping before you invest in a lot of money in expensive camping gear. Maybe borrow a tent and camping supplies to try camping.

You might think about getting a motel after a long days ride and camping after you get where youÔÇÖre going and have shorter sight seeing rides. If thatÔÇÖs your plan.

My ex announced after the first days ride and first night in a tent that she was not a motorcycle rider and not a camper. She was however a bus rider as I put her on one and sent her home. Had a great trip..
    R and R

We're using a Mag's Bags Ubag. We didn't get the gigantic one, but the "regular" sized one. We carry two Big Agnes 15F bags, two Big Agnes sleeping pads, a Mountain Hardwear Haven 3 tent, a set of cooking gear, an MSR Whisperlight stove, a couple pairs of shoes, two Kermit chairs, a lantern and we still have room for the random stuff you pick up on the road like stray beers and the like.

One of the things we like about the Mag's Bag is that it has stretchy cord on top, which is handy for stashing layers as you peel them off during the day. It also has some clips on the side, which allows us to clip a Camelbak 100oz Unbottle to the bag. Neither of us have to wear the Camelbak, which is nice on long days.

We organize our stuff this way: she gets a sidebag, I get a sidebag. The tankbag carries the stuff we use on the road and in the tent. The big Ubag holds the bedroom and the kitchen, along with the patio furniture.

To protect the tops of the saddlebags, I took them down to the local auto accessory joint, where they put some of that clear stuff on. It's the same stuff they use on the front of cars nd it nicely protects the bags from scuffing and the like. As an added bonus, it protects the tops of the bags from random boot kicks.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    The R12RT has those grab handles on the side of the seat for the passenger so I just attached the straps to that using H2H straps.
    Thanks. , don't know why that didn't occur to me.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonr View Post
    If the wife is not a camper A long day in the saddle plus an uneasy night in a tent could mean a shorten trip. May be a good thing to try camping before you invest in a lot of money in expensive camping gear. Maybe borrow a tent and camping supplies to try camping.

You might think about getting a motel after a long days ride and camping after you get where youÔÇÖre going and have shorter sight seeing rides. If thatÔÇÖs your plan.

My ex announced after the first days ride and first night in a tent that she was not a motorcycle rider and not a camper. She was however a bus rider as I put her on one and sent her home. Had a great trip..

Just along for the ride JeffMunn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    ditto. Same sort of experience here although on older technology. I like your GS set up very much. -Bob
    Thanks Bob, although your set-up was even more impressive given the steed. The GS is a pack mule when it comes to hauling stuff, but lordy to goodness it does it with aplomb. If I ever were limited to only one BMW, it would be the R1150GS.

Two Of You Fit On That

WOW!

Glad that i didn't have to drive it......

This might qualify for the thread What's Wrong With This Picture but we made this rig successfully manage 11,500 miles in July-August of 2001. We had a ball!! Even the Black Sheep were impressed that we had the gumption to carry this caper off! -Bob

Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

JANMILLER
    No prob, if you have a frugal nature and a cooperative partner. Look for backpacking stuff. Here's my '03 RT, from Duluth, MN to the BRP and back, about 4K, all type of weather. Kelty tent, Helen 2 Wheels compression bags, GIVE E52 topcase, tank bag. Later added the bigger case lids... Plenty of room. Down or similar bags, Therma-Rests, lots of other stuff goes in the H2W bags, held on with web straps. Small stove, minimal cooking/eathing gear in the GIVI...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I purchased the small j-bag in 2000 and I'm still amazed at how much it can carry. When I got rid of the RS I kept it for use on my RT as they both have the same rear rack. 100% satisfied with the quality and durabality of the bag. For the price, one of the best after market products that I have purchased over the years.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com