Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

Cool . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Texas Hill Country

Hanger Hotel
    Fredricksburg, Texas

I found this spot, which steps back in time, on Henzilla's ride report.

The WW-2 style hotel, conference center and a 1940 dinner (great food) are all copied from a Pacific Air Base, Nice

Fredricksburg, Texas

This is a famous Texas town. Fredricksburg a fine town, but not my cup a tea as I am into the small rural towns.

The town did bring back memories of our BMW National we had there in 1997. I camp just a short distance from where a camped in what felt like years ago. I peeked in the building that we had the Beer Garden and it felt like just yesterday.

Below: Fredricksburg Brewery

Thumbs up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Twisted Sisters

Texas Hill Country, Twisted Sisters

"Twisted Sisters" or "The Three Sisters" as the locals call it are rated as the Hill country and arguable in all of Texas best paved roads. Motorcycling magazine Ride Texas rates these three the best of roads in Texas for motorcycles, Ranch Road 335, 336 and 337. Sisters consist of a loop of about 180 miles of big hills, sharp curves and the best views around. One of my favorite section being from Vanderpool to Leakey (pronounced LAY-key) Texas.

Thumbs up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Twisted Sisters

Last edited by BeerTeam; 02-09-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Thumbs up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop

The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop located on Ranch Road 337.Leakey, Texas has been voted #1 hangout 4 times by Ride Texas readers. The stop has been included in the top ten best hangouts since they opened in 2002.

The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop is home of the original "Three Twisted Sisters" T-shirts.

Smile . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop

The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop

Talking . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop

The Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop

Thumbs up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Nueces Canyon Gypsy M.C

The Nueces Canyon Gypsy M.C

I had the privileged of hanging with the Gypsy Motorcycle Club while I was enjoying the 3 Sisters. Well, you say how do ya know the Gypsies? Seems the local Prez, everyone calls him "Chug", owns the local Motorcycle Campground- Rocky River Camp and the place was highly recommended by the locals in Camp Wood, Texas. Chug has a Wing for cruising and a DR650 for the dirt. Chug plays Santa Claus during the holidays, as he has the personality, white hair and beard to play the part.

When I finally left the town of Camp Wood, the Gypsies had donned their Colors and had a Club Ride and rode with me to the Frio River Motorcycle Shop, and then to a great lunch at Hill Country Diner over the mountain in Kerrville.

Rocky River Camp
    751 River Rd
    Campwood, TX 78833
    Phone: 830-597-4239
    located near Camp Wood, Texas in the Western part of the Texas Hill Country approximately 2 hours drive from San Antonio, Texas. The area, called the Nueces Canyon is often considered the Undiscovered Texas Hill Country. Flowing rivers and scenic vistas greet visitors as they traverse thru the Canyon. Abundant springs and creeks make up the Headwaters of the Nueces River, one of the clearest streams in the State.

Talking

Fantastic ride report and pictures!

I live near Bandera, and have yet to try some of those great dirt roads near Enchanted rock, but your photos have whet my appetite.

Thank you!
    Timba
    "You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."
    ~ Charles Buxton
    TnA's travels

Quote Originally Posted by Timba View Post
    Fantastic ride report and pictures!

I live near Bandera
    , and have yet to try some of those great dirt roads near Enchanted rock, but your photos have whet my appetite.

Thank you!

Thanks, Timba

The route I took from the town of Kingsland was crossing the "Slab", continue to 308 and you get to an area called "Click". Click is a only a spot on the map. At that point I just guessed my way out of the area with the help of a local rancher. As long as you have gas and the area is dry, you will have fun exploring. When I hit Hwy 16 it was on nice small paved roads to Enchanted Rock.

I have heard that the Willow City loop is a sweet paved ride, may talk Henzilla into some riding in that area.

I missed Bandera on this Texas loop, but I may visit Bandera in the next two weeks

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the details on your route!

Drop me a line if/when you head to Bandera, and I'll be glad to ride with you, and buy you a diet coke during the ride, or a beer after the ride!
    Timba
    "You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."
    ~ Charles Buxton
    TnA's travels

Man, I love your ride reports.

Did you mean to have some of the photos side x side? On IE it really messes up the formatting of the page. C'est le vie.

What tires are you running on your G/S?
    Thanks again for your stories.
    Last edited by wuli959; 02-10-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Fantastic, Jim!

I always love reading and viewing your stuff! You've got a fantastic eye and use the camera well! Looking forward to seeing you again in TN.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

franze

Bravo

great stuff!!! that opening silhouette of the GS is one of the best pix I've seen in this forum, a great example of Less is More. Thanks for taking the time to post. It's much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone. Glad you like my ride reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    Man, I love your ride reports.
    What tires are you running on your G/S?
    Thanks again for your stories

Looks like a G/S but it is a Paralever style white 1988 R1000 GS.
    I am running Tourance on my Texas Trip because I will be riding her home; for my true dual sport rides I run Dunlop 606; on my Trans Wisconsin ride I ran TKC 80.
    Jim

Back to the story, up to this point of the trip I had one day of not perfect weather, 50 and a possibility of a light drizzle. Remember I was told that it has not rained for over one year in the Three Sisters area. Great weather if I were back in Wisconsin, but the forecast calls for 65 and sunny again. I went riding around Camp Wood just far enough to takes these few photos. The photos are just down the road from Chugs Campground. I took the road to the top of the mountain, and the mountain was fogged in. It was still nice exploring.

Talking . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dual Sporting the 3 Sisters

Bump Gate
    you just push it with your bumper (I mean with the front tire of the GS) and it open allowing enough time to drive in and it closes behind you. Some of the ranches have a bump gate every few miles.

I am sure the local body shops invented these contraptions.

The cattle guards perform the same function.

There is a nice gravel road that goes from Two of the Three Sisters (335 to 336) at the Vance Cut-off . It starts paved and when it hits gravel it's called Bullhead Road. Nice road, here a few photos. When I got back to the campground, Chug told me I should of road Hackberry rode also. Well next time.