Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big 'n Tall Kerit Chair- who's in?

Kermits way too expensive for me, for the number of times I would use it during the year. Saw these the other day though and am thinking about getting one since it looks to be normal size and could be used for Fourth of July, football games etc etc

It is called the Blue Max chair

site-- http://www.bluemaxinc.com/

review--http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/blue-max-chair/

callmethebreeze

New chair

The Blue max looks good but the pico has a lot of appeal. I've tried the kermit. Too small for comfort and I still don't get the pricing. The pico is tall, doesn;t need optional leg extensions @ $29 or drink holder @$18. Perhaps the cachet of owning a kermit is too alluring for some. I'll pass,

Breeze

Low speed, high drag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze View Post
    The Blue max looks good but the pico has a lot of appeal. I've tried the kermit. Too small for comfort and I still don't get the pricing. The pico is tall, doesn;t need optional leg extensions @ $29 or drink holder @$18. Perhaps the cachet of owning a kermit is too alluring for some. I'll pass,

Breeze
    I think that one difference is the Pico and others are cranked out by the thousands in factories, while I suspect there is more hand labor involved in building a Kermit. It's also repairable, and I've visited with both Kermit himself and now Tom Sherrill (new owner of company) in person at rallies. Replacement parts are readily available.

To me, the Pico and others are utilitarian, while the Kermit is classy.

I don't need the drink holder, as I have two hands and the ground nearby. I agree that the Kermit is too small (for me) and too low to the ground. That's why I'm trying to get a bigger run made that will fit me, and will be higher off the ground w/o leg extensions. That said, each to his own- it's great that we have choices!

End of sales pitch...

I'm in. A couple more inches for my ass, and a couple more inches in leg height would be great. My left knee can't handle the "deep kneebend" type of feel to getting out of low chairs. I otherwise like the Kermit chair, though.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

My $20 REI chair (a slightly nicer version of the infamous $10 chairs) is still chugging along nicely, and fits me better than any Kermit. I don't care that I can't put it in a hard case; I strap stuff on top when traveling anyway.

To me, a Kermit won't be comfy unless it's scaled up in EVERY dimension. Not just width; I also find the depth of the seat (the dimension from the front edge to where the backrest begins) to be quite insufficient, and I wnat back-support high enough to really sink into around the campfire. I would also want the height be sufficient without having to purchase add-ons, and by then the thing has to be packed outside the cases anyway. With that in mind, how can a $100+ chair possibly compete with a $20 chair? Oh yeah, and because it looks like all the other chairs, it's VERY unlikely to get stolen, and no heartbreak if that happens anyway. Handcrafted charm? Pointless for something I'm gonna strap to the bike for long rides. If I want handcrafted charm, I'll buy a wooden canoe.

I find the arguments about other chairs being 'utilitarian' pretty hilarious. Isn't utilitarianism the thing that used to be the big draw about BMWs? For something I'm going to tie to my bike and schlep around rallies and touring and camping, utilitarian is a great quality and is NOT exclusive of comfort.

The Kermit is a nice piece of craftsmanship, but IMHO it offers very poor value. No offense intended if it turns your crank; I'm just callin' it like I see it.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Low speed, high drag

Smile

Discussion points pulled out by UncleHowie, whose responses are in blue:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    To me, a Kermit won't be comfy unless it's scaled up in EVERY dimension.
    Good feedback on various suggestions for improving the chair's dimensions. 'Nuff said.

With that in mind, how can a $100+ chair possibly compete with a $20 chair?
    I've been unable to find a $20 folding chair (or $50 chair, for that matter...) that I find comfortable and durable. I may have to look at REI's offerings, as I went through a couple of el cheapo $20 chairs this last rally season. These were not massive failures from a flattened frame or anything like that, but little things- pulled aluminum rivets, cracked plastic junction blocks, etc. Parts (if needed) aren't typically readily available for the el cheapo chairs, so you are left to improvise. Chair repair is not my chosen leisure time activity, so at some point I just end up buying another chair...

If I want handcrafted charm, I'll buy a wooden canoe.
    Fair enough, but funny you should use this example! I own two wooden canoes- one built by me, one built by my dad... I also own a family heirloom 1966 Alumacraft canoe, so I can't be called an elitist snob!

I find the arguments about other chairs being 'utilitarian' pretty hilarious. Isn't utilitarianism the thing that used to be the big draw about BMWs?
    Interesting take on the BMW/utilitarian link. I do find my R1150GS to be extremely utilitarian- a versatile touring machine, which is how I use it. I also enjoy riding a bike that's somewhat out of the ordinary, so admittedly a portion of my ownership decision wasn't based strictly on practicality. Of course, there's no illusion of exclusivity (with a Kermit or a GS) at your typical BMW rally, where they're both a dime a dozen!

No offense intended if it turns your crank; I'm just callin' it like I see it.
    No offense taken, as you have many valid points. If I found a $20 chair that worked for me, I'd probably be sitting in it already. It's great that we have a lot of choices available to us, and can choose what appeals to us.

I'm 6ft 4" and 245lbs and 62 years old. I find the kermit amazingly comfortable after a long ride. I thought about buying the extensions but haven't really felt the need. I bought it at the Vermont rally and I have used it several time on trips and at my granddaughters soccer games. It's more comfortable for me than the canvas folding chars you see often today.
    TMMV

Saddle Max

http://www.bluemaxinc.com/

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/ar...ag-chair.shtml

Anyone every try this companies chair, quarter the price.

callmethebreeze

Wide glide

I wonder what a double wide kermit will cost. What's next, hydraulic lifters?

Breeze

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    There are sooo many alternatives for a kermit.
    Best ad I ever saw for a chair was in the Village Voice:
    "A Cheap Chair for Your Cheap Ass."

That in mind... These ain't bad.

http://www.directorschairs.com/
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Low speed, high drag
    Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze View Post
    What's next, hydraulic lifters?
    Nope.

Electronic reverse, and little training wheels that are deployed at stops.

Oops, those are already on the market!

I'm a larger GS rider too, looked at the kermit chair and agree it is made for others. I carry a seabag waterproof bag on the back and I put one of those newer style mesh folding camp chairs right inside or down along beside it if I am pressed for room. They're about $40 for a good one with a couple of nice pockets and beer holders but more importantly my knees are in line with or below my hips, not up at a chest level,, making for a comfortable legthly sitdown.

I've got my eye on one of the styles with the attachable foot rest, that's livin' baby! I think most GS riders are spoiled, unless you are going around the world or two up for a month, there really are no space issues. I've got a givi top trunk that I don't even use.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Here is my camp chair: http://www.thermarest.com/product_de...?pID=101&cID=4

I don't see what all the fuss is about getting one's ass levitated above the ground. Sitting on something soft on the ground works fine for me - and the sleeping pad conversion kit takes up virtually zero space and weights almost nothing.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Yet another good reason for sidecaring... You always have a seat.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."