Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big 'n Tall Kerit Chair- who's in?

Low speed, high drag

Question Big 'n Tall Kerit Chair- who's in?

Like many GS riders, I'm a big oaf. I'd love a Kermit chair, but they're just built a few inches too narrow- as opposed to my butt being too big... That, and the height is more appropriate for someone with legs like a Welsh Corgi...

Here's my proposal for a slightly larger Kermit chair:
    -2-4 inches wider than a regular Kermit, width yet to be determined
    -legs slightly longer, so need for leg extensions is eliminated

Related thoughts:
    -I pack gear on a rack, so I don't care if my chair fits in a saddlebag. A packed chair that's two to four inches longer than the current Kermit Chair wouldn't give me any problems...
    -no need for leg extensions would be nice, and one could get back to the "1 bag" concept that makes the Kermit Chair so appealing in the first place.

I've talked with Tom Sherrill, owner of Kermit Chair Co., in person about this. He apparently already posseses plans for just such a beast, and there are supposedly some prototypes floating around out there...

If a few of us chime in, maybe we can get him to build some of these chairs. I'd be in for one, quite possibly two. If the fat guys of the world unite, and demand a slightly bigger chair, I think we can get it!

I've read all the various chair threads, and I'm convinced that the Kermit Chair is what I want/need. I have no beef with the price, except that I don't want to pay top dollar for a chair that's fundamentally too small for me. I've thought of trying to modify a Kermit, or building a scaled-up version, but I'd rather just buy one.

If you're interested in a larger Kermit Chair, please post here, and contact Tom directly. http://www.kermitchair.com/contact.tml Let him know that there's a market for a slightly bigger chair!

Thanks, -Howie

Quote Originally Posted by UncleHowie View Post
    Like many GS riders, I'm a big oaf. I'd love a Kermit chair, but they're just built a few inches too narrow- as opposed to my butt being too big... That, and the height is more appropriate for someone with legs like a Welsh Corgi...

Here's my proposal for a slightly larger Kermit chair:
    -2-4 inches wider than a regular Kermit, width yet to be determined
    -legs slightly longer, so need for leg extensions is eliminated

Related thoughts:
    -I pack gear on a rack, so I don't care if my chair fits in a saddlebag. A packed chair that's two to four inches longer than the current Kermit Chair wouldn't give me any problems...
    -no need for leg extensions would be nice, and one could get back to the "1 bag" concept that makes the Kermit Chair so appealing in the first place.

I've talked with Tom Sherrill, owner of Kermit Chair Co., in person about this. He apparently already posseses plans for just such a beast, and there are supposedly some prototypes floating around out there...

If a few of us chime in, maybe we can get him to build some of these chairs. I'd be in for one, quite possibly two. If the fat guys of the world unite, and demand a slightly bigger chair, I think we can get it!

I've read all the various chair threads, and I'm convinced that the Kermit Chair is what I want/need. I have no beef with the price, except that I don't want to pay top dollar for a chair that's fundamentally too small for me. I've thought of trying to modify a Kermit, or building a scaled-up version, but I'd rather just buy one.

If you're interested in a larger Kermit Chair, please post here, and contact Tom directly. http://www.kermitchair.com/contact.tml Let him know that there's a market for a slightly bigger chair!

Thanks, -Howie
    I looked at the Kermit and liked it but I'm going with this chair. check it out
    http://www.fullthrottlecamping.com/product.php?id=71
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    I have the same chair. This past year I used on the bike when I went to some of the ralles and when I went to some of the car shows I go to. When you go in a 1959tr3 you don't have much room and this chair is perfect. the price is the same as the Kermit but a full size chair.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
    I have the same chair. This past year I used on the bike when I went to some of the ralles and when I went to some of the car shows I go to. When you go in a 1959tr3 you don't have much room and this chair is perfect. the price is the same as the Kermit but a full size chair.

Don
    Great, How about the quality. Do you think it will last as long as a kermit? Thanks in advance..
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I

Low speed, high drag

Smile

I've looked at the Pico. It may be plan "B" for me if I can't come up with a "larger" Kermit.

I think the Kermit is classy, where the Pico is just utilitarian.

But, if the chair fits...

FYI: Cabella's stores are carrying this chair now. If I remember correctly, also a little cheaper than Full Throttle. And we know BMW riders are cheap
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    FYI: Cabella's stores are carrying this chair now. If I remember correctly, also a little cheaper than Full Throttle. And we know BMW riders are cheap
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

I have one of these (in addition to a Kermit chair with leg extensions) they are nice. You can beat that price though... $130?!? Retail is only $125 IIRC. I paid $89 but haven't seen it that low since. It holds up very well, I'm sure just as durable as the Kermit. Not easily packed on a bike unless you want to strap it across the back seat against your topcase. I toss it in the camper I pull behind the bike.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Too heavy;

The kermits are 6 lbs, I think and a 9 pounder is simply too heavy to tag along, imo. Kermits also pack into a nicer package and have the looks for sure! I still do not have one and feel the price is too high at 125+. Should have bought one years ago. Sitting is one of the last things I do anyhow, after a long days ride. I'm ready to lay down! Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The kermits are 6 lbs, I think and a 9 pounder is simply too heavy to tag along, imo. Kermits also pack into a nicer package and have the looks for sure! I still do not have one and feel the price is too high at 125+. Should have bought one years ago. Sitting is one of the last things I do anyhow, after a long days ride. I'm ready to lay down! Randy
    Not to knock the kermits, but if you add the legs and holder its closer to 9 pounds, it does pack a little smaller. Either chair is a good choice depending on ones need and taste.

Great, How about the quality. Do you think it will last as long as a kermit? Thanks in advance..
    I think it will last as long if not longer than the Kermit.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    I would call them and se if they actual have it. Cabella's is where I saw this chair last May and placed the order. Then found out that they did not sell it. This was in a sale paper on got in the mail. I then found that Bass Pro Shop's carried it and had them in stock and order one from them.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
    I would call them and se if they actual have it. Cabella's is where I saw this chair last May and placed the order. Then found out that they did not sell it. This was in a sale paper on got in the mail. I then found that Bass Pro Shop's carried it and had them in stock and order one from them.

Don
    Good to know. There's a new Bass Pro Shop at the New England Patriots stadium. I was planning on going up there in a few weeks. That way I can try the chair and see if I like it instead of odering on line. I'm already familliar with the Kermit. I'll report back on my findings at that time.

I like my Kermit...can't beat the coolness factor. I'm in for a wider, taller Kermit if they will make it.

Low speed, high drag

News flash-

Tom Sherrill over at Kermit Chair Company has apparently heard enough of my bellyaching.

He says he's going to work on it, though it'll take "some work and a lot of testing."
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...stcount=25:bow

There may be light at the end of the tunnel!