Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Tire changing at the national?

  1. #1
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    1,022

    Tire changing at the national?

    Looking at the current state of my tires, I figure they'll need replacing about the time I arrive in TN. Are there facilities for tire changing (preferably where I can do it myself with guidance from those who have done it before) at the rally, or should I plan on riding a couple thousand extra miles to wear them out before leaving VT?

    TIA,
    Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  2. #2
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,533
    If I were you I'd change them before I left. There should be tire changing at the Rally ( there was at Gillette ) but you will need to purchase your tires from them. FYI the line and wait was very long at Gillette...

  3. #3
    SEEKER
    Guest

    tyers

    I had a valve stem go bad at the national in Ohio a few years ago, I was able to buy a new tire and have it installed right there... besides if you do it yourself what are you going to do with the old tire?

  4. #4
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    1,022
    Here's my dilemma. If I replace them before the rally I'll have 3000 miles plus on them by the time I get home. The cost down there can't be any higher than my local dealer, but the long lines could be an issue since that would cut into my ride time. Ride time is important.

    Hmmm, maybe I should just endeavor to wear out the OE tires before leaving, then replace them at the 6k service.

    Thanks for the feedback!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  5. #5
    Rather Be Ridin' alabeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Helena, Alabammer
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Looking at the current state of my tires, I figure they'll need replacing about the time I arrive in TN. Are there facilities for tire changing (preferably where I can do it myself with guidance from those who have done it before) at the rally, or should I plan on riding a couple thousand extra miles to wear them out before leaving VT?

    TIA,
    Pete
    I feel certain there will be one or more vendors that will have tires and the equipment to mount them. However as others have stated the lines are usually quite long and I am confident you will want to ride the area while you are there!
    Whatever...come on down and get you some "Mountain Magic...Southern Style"

    Vance Harrelson
    2009 Rally Chair

  6. #6
    Registered User RINTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,305

    Tires

    Don't change them at the National.
    Rinty

    "When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lake of the Woods,Ont
    Posts
    597
    Personally,if my buddy the tire Nazi will be there,I'll be getting him to spoon a tire or 2 on for me...
    Nose

  8. #8
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Oznay View Post
    Personally,if my buddy the tire Nazi will be there,I'll be getting him to spoon a tire or 2 on for me...
    The tire Nazi is one interesting dude.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  9. #9
    07 R1200GS Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Killdeer, ND
    Posts
    1,153
    If it is like Gillette, NoMar will be there demonstrating their equipment. Just go to them with your newly purchased tire and they will install it for free. Good guys, and their booth is always surrounded with onlookers.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,429
    Or, you can plan to take a run down to Knoxville..
    http://www.cyclegear.com/city_location.cfm?Store=60
    They have lots of tires at very competitive prices http://www.cyclegear.com/productlist...0&L2=10&L3=155
    last i knew they were charging $20 for a mount and balance, if you give them your wheel. i would just pull the front wheel in a back parking area with my tool kit,, block the front end off the ground, then give them the rear (that method makes for short lines at teh tire places on-site at the rally. Things go much faster if you do the easy labor yourself.
    if you call the CycleGear store in advance and arrange for a particular arrival day, you could be sure that the tire you want is waiting for you, as well as a spot in the mounting line.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  11. #11
    Aspiring Profligate jeff488's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Or, you can plan to take a run down to Knoxville..
    http://www.cyclegear.com/city_location.cfm?Store=60
    They have lots of tires at very competitive prices http://www.cyclegear.com/productlist...0&L2=10&L3=155
    last i knew they were charging $20 for a mount and balance, if you give them your wheel. i would just pull the front wheel in a back parking area with my tool kit,, block the front end off the ground, then give them the rear (that method makes for short lines at teh tire places on-site at the rally. Things go much faster if you do the easy labor yourself.
    if you call the CycleGear store in advance and arrange for a particular arrival day, you could be sure that the tire you want is waiting for you, as well as a spot in the mounting line.
    Gotta be that rarefied air that clears the mind and makes for such perspicacity.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,429
    nah. it's the great micro-brews that does it!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Here's my dilemma. If I replace them before the rally I'll have 3000 miles plus on them by the time I get home. The cost down there can't be any higher than my local dealer, but the long lines could be an issue since that would cut into my ride time. Ride time is important.

    Hmmm, maybe I should just endeavor to wear out the OE tires before leaving, then replace them at the 6k service.

    Thanks for the feedback!
    That's always the way it seems to work out. I never seem to get the full mileage out of a set. IMHO it's a PITA to find and change 'um on the road. Last time I did it was Rhinebeck back in '99. I rode out from San Diego with new tires on an R100R. They were about half gone when I got to NY. I don't think I really had a choice.
    aaaaaa

  14. #14
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    Wear'em out, always!

    Its not hard to get tires on the roadtrips, imo. BMW Dealers are not hard to find and I always have had good luck, if willing to take the tire/rim from the bike. If you do not want to do this, dealers will sometimes make you wait or pass on it if too busy. I've never had a wait, doing this and just did it last week in Tucson, far from home for a front tire. They worked me in immediately, as I handed them the rim and tire. Use the tires up, its money wasted if you don't and they are not cheap anymore. Rallies, same rules apply. Randy

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    37

    My Rally Tire Experience

    I was at Gillette and the lines were a lot longer than I wanted to wait around for during the day. So I figured I would wait till I got home to change my tires. Since I was riding solo home I was in no hurry to get out and on the road on Sunday. So on Sunday morning I went to mail all my loot home at the UPS station and I walked out of the building and by the tire changing station and they were open to help anyone out that might have a last minute problem or want to do air checks. They said they were going to stay open for most of the day. I asked if they had my tire size and they did so I went and got my bike and was in and out in 20 minutes. Absolutely no wait.

    When you get to the rally check and see if the are going to be open on Sunday. If so and you are in no hurry to get on the road see if you can pre buy your tires and schedule a time for Sunday if they will let you. The rally really emptied out quickly on Sunday morning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •