Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Putting the T's in Twisties

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I agree that VA16 is up there on my list....Helen wanted to flip around and "do it again"
    You need to do it both ways. It's like being on a totally different road. I drove Rt 16 round trip twice a week between Marion and Tazewell for 5 years when I worked. I wore out tires very quickly on my company car and once made the trip in 40 minutes. I can't do it that quickly on a bike. I probably don't appreciate it as much as some because it is so familiar.

Ken
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Many thanks to the folks who published these routes. I owe you one

One small tip from my experience planning routes - When I plant a via point near a turn, I try to locate it just following the turn. On the route we followed (Roan Mountain) there were a couple of vias located immediately before the turn and on my GPS (2720) the turn direction does not appear until after I pass the via. It was still a good route and we enjoyed riding it.

thanks,
    hank
    Hank Barta
    K1200RS, R100R/Velorex 700
    Beautiful Sunny Winfield, IL

Quote Originally Posted by HANKB View Post
    Many thanks to the folks who published these routes. I owe you one

One small tip from my experience planning routes - When I plant a via point near a turn, I try to locate it just following the turn. On the route we followed (Roan Mountain) there were a couple of vias located immediately before the turn and on my GPS (2720) the turn direction does not appear until after I pass the via. It was still a good route and we enjoyed riding it.
    well, now that is weird... i *always* put the waypoints up the road after the turn. because nothing drives me more nuts than what you mention.

below is a capture from my roan mountain route... rider enters this from the right and then turns left on TN143.

all of the routes on this thread use this same TN143 waypoint.

maybe you got a route from somewhere else?

(glad at least that you got to ride over roan mountain!)

ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Ian, I did most of the Dual Sport Routes you posted. I also did the routes in the program. They were also good. I was enjoying the twisty dual sport roads and I took very few photos.

I was in Del Rio, Tennessee having lunch and these two guys who were exploring with a two wheel drive pick-um up truck told me they tried Rocky top Mountain and could not make it and turned around.

I know if I ever listened to the song "Rocky Top Tennessee" I would regret not trying the 4WD road.

The trail was as good as the song!

And . . .

if you mess-up, someone may build ya a roadside memorial

Last edited by BeerTeam; 02-02-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerTeam View Post
    Ian, I did most of the Dual Sport Routes you posted. I also did the routes in the program. They were also good. I was enjoying the twisty dual sport roads and I took very few photos.

the photos you did take were good... as usual.

this one looks like Little Stony Creek road.

now, that Rocky Top you shot looks interesting too... please check your PMs.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.