Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: KY Hwy 421

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Brian and I are planning to spend a night or two in Memphis, and then head east towards the rally. Probably take the whole week off.
    WooHooo!! Beale street, baby!! Some of the best blues outside the Delta.

Have fun!

Mike

Along the Banks of the Ohio River in Madison Indiana

map option route

On the map shown another route from Brownstown is SR 250 over to SR 7 North of Madison. Alot nicer route with better scenery and more turns than SR39 to SR56
    Ride time is 1 hour to Madison with more turns than the lined route shown. In fact the SR 250 route over to Patriot is a super ridge road ride. It makes a neat 100 mile round trip to Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by mandypants View Post
    If you want suggestions of good places to eat/visit/get coffee around Lexington, Richmond or Berea in Kentucky, let me know. That is my old college stomping ground.
    Yes please, Mandy.
    I am thinking Lexington will be the end of my first leg.

cheesewhiz
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Yes please, Mandy.
    I am thinking Lexington will be the end of my first leg.
    Mine as well

Map Updates

There are probably more, but these are two that I know of close to home.

After getting off I-65 in Franklin, the first two flashing lights are now stoplights.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

Local Highlights from Franklin to Madison

Starting in Franklin. Gas prices are usually cheap, but not necessarily just by the interstate. You'll pass an Admiral and a Shell after you pass the courthouse downtown. It's usually cheaper there.

Nashville is crowded on weekends! It might make a good lunch stop and a chance to get off the bike and shake a leg. There's a myriad of arts and crafts shops to poke around in. I can recommend a good BBQ shack called Trolly's on the north end of town off to the left on E. Gould St. You can park in a pay lot ($2 for MC) across the street and eat out on a deck where you can see your bike. The Brown County Inn is also very nice, but they often have a waiting list to get in. There's a large Shell before you leave town, but it's on the wrong side heading south and prices can be higher.

Don't eat too much because SR-135 gets pretty twisty south of here! Watch out for 90's with loose gravel, too.

The quaint old country village of Story, Indiana is just 20 minutes south of Nashville along SR-135 (it's on the map) and would be a great place to stop, too. A lot less hustle and bustle than Nashville! The Story Inn has a gravel parking lot. The old general store is pretty authentic turn of the century. It's fun to walk around and look at the relics of a bygone era. There's a tavern which serves food and a courtyard to eat outside in nice weather. It's also a B&B and is reportedly haunted! They have a fine-dining restaurant open in the evenings with excellent food and a good selection of wines. Definitely worth a stop.

The route will take you right through downtown Madison, Indiana along the Ohio River. It's a beautifully well-preserved collection of Federal style architecture. Madison was a boomtown that went bust and left a bunch of historic structures untouched by 'improvements.' Now a lot of buildings are in the National Register of Historic Places. There's a small restaurant and bar along the riverfront on Vaughn called The Madison Lighthouse with good parking and outside dining. They serve an excellent rueben! Another place called Hinkles is right on Main Street/421/56 and is well-rated, but I haven't been there yet. Here's the Delta Queen pulling out of Madison, sadly, for the last time...

Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    If anyone is interested, I am riding down to Palm Coast FL on Sunday(end of MOA Rally) for a couple of days. Free stay at my cousins and heading back on Tuesday via GA with a free stay there at a friends. Arriving at RA Rally Thursday. Feel free to join me! My wife does not like me riding alone so I am posting this for both of us.
    Steve

I am 1.5 east of Lexington,KY and can be of help with my area if you have questions about a route. Hitting the Mountain Parkway via I-64 east will take you to the Natural Bridge State Park and Red River Gorge Geological Area(where I live) for some nice rides and from there you can do several roads south towards the rally. Other nice spots to visit in that area;Google any of these: Cumberland Gap, Black Mountain, Pine Mountain,Breaks Interstate Park. I'll say that 421 is mild compared to many other rides in KY. Over toward Mandy's "stomping grounds" is Shaker Village and some neat scenery there abouts. As for being dry in Berea, Lexington is not,( if you want a good generalization about alcohol in KY-the whole state is pretty much dry with the exception of the larger cities and a few smaller towns and some college towns) - Berea is a nice town for people that enjoy crafts; there are many craftspeople that live there and have shops plus the Artisans Center.For music people there are several venues there-Renfro Valley & nearby the Music Museum. If you are coming from the north, consider coming down one of several scenic routes through Ohio and then coming into KY just west of Maysville . Google "covered bridges in KY" for some ideas. Also, Washington ,KY is the oldest town in KY and even the post office is a log cabin-no, it isn't a kit. South on lots of paved rural roads from there towards TN .PM if you have questions or certain things you like to do or see. I am a hiker among other things so can lean you that way. If you are trailering I can send you to lakes and golf.
    Last edited by kantuckid; 05-03-2009 at 12:26 PM.

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    Thanks Kid!

EyeBiker

A Fellow Wildcat / Favorite eating places in the Lexington area

Quote Originally Posted by mandypants View Post
    If you want suggestions of good places to eat/visit/get coffee around Lexington, Richmond or Berea in Kentucky, let me know. That is my old college stomping ground.
    Two favorite places to eat in the Lexington area were Ramsey's Diner and Hall's On The River when I lived in Lexington for a 3 year residency more years ago than I care to admit. They were still good last week when I was back in KY for a week-long 1500 mile ride.

__________________________________________________ __________________
    CalMil
    Member: Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels
    '07 R1200RT