Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet Woes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    It's hard for me to believe flip ups would be given any good safety rating if they weren't actually safe. And no manufacturer would leve himself open to liability.

Your helmet ought to be a bit snug at first. After several hours of wear, the liner will conform to your head and you should find it more comfortable. If it moves around on your head, it's not safe. If it's comfortable when you first try it on, it's the wrong size. If you're faced with the choice of one that's a little too tight or one that's comfortable right away, go with a little too tight.

This is what I've heard for years and it makes sense to me. Hope it's helpful to you.
    #1) which fip-up has been given a good safety rating, and by whom? DOT? DOT just asks the manufacturer "do your helmets comply with our standards?". company says "yes they do" and they get a DOT sticker. SNELL actually tests helmets, and when/if they pass, they become Snell Certified. Only 1 flipup helmet has even been given to Snell for testing, and is about to receive certification. I have not yet been given definitive info, but i believe it to be AGV's Longville.

#2) if the choice is between "too tight" or "too loose"... go to a different store that sells a different line of helmets. every amnufacturer builds to a different shell, and sometimes more than one within a brand (I have several AGVs, and they all fit a bit differently, and all are the same size).

Your final fit should pretty much be Goldilocks- "just right". if it's a FF lid, maybe a tad snug in the cheek pads. everywhere else should fit correctly, right from the get-go. the padding around the majority of the shell has very little real give to it. when it finally stretches out- it's time to be replaced.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Funny we should have the exact same head size and with an elongated head. You've already been given the advice I would give so I'll just add that I've been riding with an HJC flip up for almost a year and am quite happy with it. I like the flip-up and I know it is not as safe as the full face. However it's better than the open face and I'll just have to take the chance. I like the flip up. It's perfect for me around town with the shield up or on the road with the shield down. Works great for freezing weather too.

The full face is just way too confining for me. My proferial vision is restricted to the point that I fell it unsafe to use. I can also use the flip up for a sun visor and that's very important to me. I rode from Atlanta Ga. to Mederian Miss. one time with the full face on, with no way to shield the sun except with my hands. I was straight into the sun.
    Dangerous and I'll never to that again. My flip up goes with me now. I have an open face with kinda a visor but the temps were below freezing that day so it was out.

Try a bunch on and buy the one that fits.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    #2) if the choice is between "too tight" or "too loose"... go to a different store that sells a different line of helmets. every amnufacturer builds to a different shell, and sometimes more than one within a brand (I have several AGVs, and they all fit a bit differently, and all are the same size).
    That's what I like about Arai; they offer different shapes as well as different sizes.
    Other manufacturers are starting to do likewise, finally. Optional or adjustable liners or cheekpads are another way of getting it "just right". The days of the "one shape fits all" helmet offered in a small range of sizes are going away.

I'm not plugging my favorite brand, just making a point. Shop around and try on lots of helmets from different makers until you find one that fits your head right.
    A helmet that earns the highest safety ratings is not safe if it doesn't fit correctly.
    We don't have to compromise any more, so why settle for something and be unsafe and/or uncomfortable?

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my aging Schuberth C1.

Been thinking about the safety / convenience of a full face / flip up design.

The new Schuberth C3 is not available here in the states. It can be had for a price and risk of being stuck with it after ordering from the EU and getting the wrong size. They have reportedly changed the head shape, so I can't be sure my current size would fit the same.

I tried on all the available full-face and flip-up designs at our local motorcycle store. They did not have the Arai Corsair V in stock yet. That helmet looks very nice. Of course it's a full-face design. The thing I haven't liked about their helmets was the way they cut my peripheral vision. The new Corsair V has widened the eye port by 5mm. So maybe that will help. I'd like to try one and see.

I was surprised I liked the Shark Evoline helmet as much as I did. It's a very comfortable lid on the inside with the type of lining they use. More comfortable for me than the Nolan N103 and Shoei Multitech.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

Angry

"I did spend some time wearing the Arai, the Shoei(s) and the Exo 1000 the other day at my local shop (Morton's BMW--Fredericksburg, VA--highly recommended by the way). "

And then after using the dealer for fit, you went and bought on line? Can not bring myself to doing that with equipment that is available at my dealers in my area.

For the record--I went with the Vemar--which Morton's doesn't carry, nor does anyone else in the area, that I'm aware of.

That being said, I agree with the observation.
    Jeff Peterson
    Fairfax, VA
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Fit of Vemar

My riding buddy bought a Vemar, I liked it went to the store to try one on my noggin. Didn't fit at all for me great for him. Nolan fits me (just got the n 103) haven't ridden in it yet will post my ideas when I do. Nolan doesn't fit him. That's just the way with helmets.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

North Coast, Ohio

Arai

Just a point for conversation. I was at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show and was measured by a Arai Rep. I thought the Profile was for me. But it was not. I experienced the same pressure on the lower back of my head and cheeks.. So we tried on the Vector. Bingo everything fit as designed. Rear of head and yes the cheek pads were much better.

The style of the Vector is not as pointy in the rear of the helmet. The Profile has a sharper taper. Less pressure in the rear allows the face to reduce pressure on the cheek pads. So it was explained to me.

I did visit the local Arai dealer in North Akron area and they were nice kids but did no measuring. I was trying on xxl sizes, the Arai rep, fitted me with an xl. Go figure, I have never fit into a xl. But I am sold.

Arai Vector is my next purchase. But not from the dealer.

Thumbs down

Well--the Vemar finally arrived. Nice helmet, good finish (a little "plastic-y" in the lower chin bar) and overall, feels solid--the good news. The bad news--in an XL (59.5cm noggin--mid-long oval) it fit OK for about 20 minutes. Went for a test spin, and AFTER about 20 minutes my forehead started to hurt. After an hour, bordering on torture. When I stopped and took it off, I had a very nice reverse impression of the liner in bright red dented into my forehead.

Needless to say, it doesn't fit my headshape. Oh well, I knew I was taking a chance with an online order and not being able to try it on (against all good advice, I might add ). At least now I know. Would not recommend this helmet to those with oval heads.

Its going back and when my head stops hurting, I'll go back to the drawing board.

JEP
    Jeff Peterson
    Fairfax, VA
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Maybe the Nolan will fit then

Post above my buddy has a Vemar fits him Nolan doesn't fit him , I wear a Nolan Vemar doesn't fit me. Might be worth looking into.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

haughty
    I bought the Vemar Jiano- long long wait- bought two so I could use the bluetooth.
    Good news is- it has bluetooth.
    It is more noisy than I thought it should be- yes the vents were closed!

Bluetooth is good for about ten hours as they say. somewhat a pain at times to link. But it does work.
    + 1 there.

No good for the zumo though. SOund quality not to my preference- shoulda tried it out first. so its going to be- upgrade the LT's speakers.

It is a tight fit, but I had no problem as long as I dont try to chew a bunch of bubble gum at the same time.
    I like the flip down visor.

I do like my scorpion, but it isnt a full face- so that one is on the endagered list- Its either full face or full face..

I found a deal on a Schuberth C2 and absolutely love it. Fits my head perfectly, and since I am replacing the C1, its an easy transition.

Look for the Jiano to be on the fleamarket soon, I'd rather give someone else a break than pay the 10% restocking fee.

JEP
    Jeff Peterson
    Fairfax, VA
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,