Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: System 5 Helmet

System 5 Helmet

Here in the good old USA, does anyone know how to get a System 5 Helmet?

gened12

Cool Not in the US but...

BMW helmets do not have the DOT certification. I believe it is a question of lawsuits ect. They are homologated according to the ISO standards (which are more stringent) In Canada this standard is now accepted and we have the BMW helmets. You can buy a little sticker (I know it is not legal) on ebay with the DOT symbol for travel in the US. Since the helmet is of superior quality I see this transgression as minor. Try moto international in Montreal or any of the Canadian BMW dealers.

I bought mine last summer (on sale) for 480 C$. Quite a deal. It is a very good helmet comparable to the C2 but roomier around the ears.

Good luck

Cheers

Denis R1200RT

Global Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by gened12 View Post
    BMW helmets do not have the DOT certification. I believe it is a question of lawsuits ect. They are homologated according to the ISO standards (which are more stringent) In Canada this standard is now accepted and we have the BMW helmets. You can buy a little sticker (I know it is not legal) on ebay with the DOT symbol for travel in the US. Since the helmet is of superior quality I see this transgression as minor. Try moto international in Montreal or any of the Canadian BMW dealers.

I bought mine last summer (on sale) for 480 C$. Quite a deal. It is a very good helmet comparable to the C2 but roomier around the ears.

Good luck

Cheers

Denis R1200RT
    Canadian (or any outside-of-USA) BMW dealers are not allowed by BMW corp policy to retail/ ship System helmets directly to US addresses. In theory out-of-US BMW dealers are also not allowed to retail System helmets over-the-counter to US citizens.

So, as a US citizen, you can
    1) have a Canadian (or any outside-USA) friend buy the System helmet from an outside-US BMW dealer and mail/ ship it to you as personal mail;
    2) have a Canadian friend accompany you to a Canadian dealer, buy it for you over-the-counter;
    3) go to a CND BMW dealer, and do a good impersonation of "Canadian"--eh?

Some Euro BMW dealers are known to pay little attention to the corp BMW restrictions on over-the-counter sales to US citizens. Others are known--from time to time, depending on who's on the sales counter that day--to 'knowingly' sell System helmets to US citizens; or to circumvent the restriction by selling over-the-counter on a local currency/ cash basis only, no US travelers' checks & no US credit cards.

gened12

Talking Hey I was just trying to help

I was just trying to help. I think that the system 5 is the best helmet I ever bought. Safety wise and comfort wise. I did not w=mean to touch a nerve here.

cheers

denis R1200Rt

Global Touring
    I was just trying to help. I think that the system 5 is the best helmet I ever bought. Safety wise and comfort wise. I did not w=mean to touch a nerve here.

cheers

denis R1200Rt
    Denis,
    No nerve touched or felt. It's a good helmet, just difficult for USA folks to access.

Court

MPGOLIGHTLY
    Just ordered mine from Designerhelmets.com in the UK. I have worn a Schuberth for several years now and it needs replacing. The seals are deteriorating and the UV film on the inside of the visor is starting to flake off.

I did some research into the FMVSS-218 vs. the ECE-22.05 certifications. I am satisfied that the helmet is very safe and quality made. It is after all built by Schuberth for BMW.

It was interesting to find out that ECE-22.05 is backwards compatible with DOT, but, not all DOT helmets would be vice-versa.

Global Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by mpgolightly View Post
    Just ordered mine from Designerhelmets.com in the UK. I have worn a Schuberth for several years now and it needs replacing. The seals are deteriorating and the UV film on the inside of the visor is starting to flake off.

I did some research into the FMVSS-218 vs. the ECE-22.05 certifications. I am satisfied that the helmet is very safe and quality made. It is after all built by Schuberth for BMW.

It was interesting to find out that ECE-22.05 is backwards compatible with DOT, but, not all DOT helmets would be vice-versa.
    It's great you found a UK supplier, who is apparently able to bypass BMW corp policy against retailing System helmets to US addresses (assuming you asked that it be shipped to the US). Let us know how the delivery experience to US works from Designerhelmets.

There's never been a question about System helmet safety or quality. Many US riders use them, regardless of BMW retail/ delivery policy to the US market.

Peter_Krynicki
    I'm going to Paris again in April. If I just bought one and carried it back through the checks at CDG and Newark would anyone stop me? Could I just declare it on the form?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpgolightly View Post

Any thoughts on the BMW vs. Schuberth? Advantages, disadvantages, cost, etc?
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

Global Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by 75571 View Post
    I'm going to Paris again in April. If I just bought one and carried it back through the checks at CDG and Newark would anyone stop me? Could I just declare it on the form?

Thanks
    Assuming that a Paris BMW dealer will sell you one--likely, but may depend on which salesman and how knowledgeable of the corp policy--then, you can return with it as either checked or carry-on luggage, passing security checks at CDG and EWR without hassle.

You could declare it on inbound US Customs 'purchase' form, OR, if you are otherwise presenting yourself as returning from an overseas bike trip, you could claim (if Customs even asks) that the helmet was already part of your gear, hence it wouldn't need to be declared & counted as part of new overseas purchases.

Depending on how amenable/ knowledgeable the Paris BMW dealer is, and how much time/ fortitude you have to deal with another bureaucracy, you might even be able to get a French VAT refund on the VAT portion of the purchase price. That requires some additional paperwork documentation by selling dealer, and--I think--it requires visiting a special VAT refund desk at CDG before flight departure:
    http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=110

With regards to purchase in Europe or UK. I purchased a System 5 for a friend from the UK BMW dealership while on a layover @ LHR last spring Hauled it back to USA in my carryon bag - no problemo. They did not ask about it at customs. My friend loves it.

I am told that there is a difference in the strap between the European and UK model.

Personally I plan to bring back a Schuberth next trip as it has the tinted visor that the BMW helmet lacked. IIRC it is cheaper also.

God luck - i bet you will enjoy the lid. Am told that it is very quiet while riding.

Peter_Krynicki
    Court ...

Comment on dit "Helmet?"

"Un helmet s'il vous plait."
    "Merci"

Think they'd suspect?

Thanks

gened12

Talking un helmet svp????

OK,

That might work, but you will get a better response if you say:

Puis-je acheter un casque syteme cinq s'il vous plait?

Pouey_je achetay un kask system synch sil_vou_play? (OK my phonetic spelling is not perfect but it should work...)

Besides why do you guys want to buy them in France and England when the Euro is so strong versus ordering one from Canadian BMW dealers? cheaper and easier delivery.

my 2cents

Denis

gened12

Smile I agree about the tinted visor

Quote Originally Posted by Petrodog View Post
    With regards to purchase in Europe or UK. I purchased a System 5 for a friend from the UK BMW dealership while on a layover @ LHR last spring Hauled it back to USA in my carryon bag - no problemo. They did not ask about it at customs. My friend loves it.

I am told that there is a difference in the strap between the European and UK model.

Personally I plan to bring back a Schuberth next trip as it has the tinted visor that the BMW helmet lacked. IIRC it is cheaper also.

God luck - i bet you will enjoy the lid. Am told that it is very quiet while riding.
    I owned both the C2 and a system V. I prefer the roomier fit of the system V. Does not picnh the cheeks as much and provides a lot more room around the ears. However I miss the tinted internal visor.

Besides why do you guys want to buy them in France and England when the Euro is so strong versus ordering one from Canadian BMW dealers? cheaper and easier delivery.

my 2cents

Denis
    Because the Canadian dealers are under a strict embargo order not to sell to Americans, and won't do it.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)