Thread: Tools-Cordless Screwdriver

beemergrl

Tools-Cordless Screwdriver

My husband's B-Day is in a couple of weeks and I thought I would get him a cordless screwdriver and bits, etc. to work on the bike. I am tired of the allen wrenches. It is time for them to be replaced with something faster. Anyways, can someone comment on what you are using to repair your bike with. I am looking for a cordless screwdriver and some metric tools to go with it. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

MT State of mind
    I received as a gift one of the B&D with the new battery technology. However, it is shaped like a pistol, it's a bit fat and hardly reaches into anywhere. I wish I'd been given one that has the pivot point, so it can swing into a straight handle, and I wish it was a bit smaller in diameter, so it would fit more places. But, on the good side, it came with a bazillion little inserts.

I have a Craftsman, with the pivot, that I bought a few years ago. I have used countless times without fail. It will make small work of removing 30+ tupperware screws. I always used an allen wrench to put them back though.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

grumpyone

Black and Decker

Black and Decker makes a small piviot type ; Can use it as a pistol for leverage and straight for speed.
    It is rechargeable and runs about 25 bucks. Pretty handy if you have a lot of tuperware to take off but like mentioned above dont use it to put the tup back on; It will spin up and brake the hole out been there done that.
    If you need another handy idea if he does not have it get him a tap and die of the tupperware size to chase the threads when needed ; comes in real handy cleaning up misaligning screws that get cross threaded.
    Good Luck ; Sounds like anything you get him would be appreciated, its the thought right
    Jim and Esther

I have a Skil shaped approximately like a 2 cell flashlight with a removable battery which fits in a charger. I have 2 batteries. That way if I run down the other is charged up ready to go. It has a rocker switch to operate with your thumb: press left; counterclockwise - loosen. Press right; clockwise - tighten.

I use it all the time. I have adapters for 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive sockets. So can use any of my sockets, socket allen wrenches, socket ball end allen wrenches, etc. And of course screwdriver and Torx bits. I use it on fasteners ranging from body panel screws to wheel bolts (once loosened of course).
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beemergrl View Post
    My husband's B-Day is in a couple of weeks and I thought I would get him a cordless screwdriver and bits, etc. to work on the bike. I am tired of the allen wrenches. It is time for them to be replaced with something faster. Anyways, can someone comment on what you are using to repair your bike with. I am looking for a cordless screwdriver and some metric tools to go with it. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.
    This Bosch is fantastic. Happy Birthday to him!

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS20-2A-...8C2SQWZ56ES2ZM

Chromehead
    +1 on the Bosch!

Now somebody convince my wife that one of these would compliment my Dewalt battery drill/driver collection.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

cordless screwdrivers

Is this a new idea?

I just went out to check my toolbox and EVERY screwdriver in there is lacking a cord. Same for all my wrenches and hammers too!

Does this mean for once I am finally ahead of the technology curve?????

Friedle
    Airhead #46
    Ride fast safely

beemergrl
    Thanks everyone for posting some suggestions for tools. I knew that I could come and get some great information from all of you. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Penforhire
    Just a thought, I almost never use electric or air tools on my bikes. For faster Allen bolt wrenching I highly recommend a high-quality "T" handle set instead.

Aw come on, it's his birthday! Why not spring for something a bit more elaborate.... he deserves it does he not?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost