Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tire Etiquette

I dont know about others' experiences

but i know that when i had several services done to my RT, and questioned how many times i was charged to take the tupperware off, i got absolutely lambasted by the owner of the shop. Maybe some shops are willing to discuss their pricing, but mine certainly isn't. And frankly they are 15% to 25% higher than on-line prices. Then they wonder why i don't do all my business with them.....
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    Maybe some shops are willing to discuss their pricing, but mine certainly isn't.
    Then the answer is to go to another shop that will discuss their pricing (although they may not be willing to negotiate about it) . . . and maybe also send a polite complaint to BMW.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

RIDEOREGON
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post

4. You expected to be given the "good customer discount" for this work of installing tires that you bought elsewhere (although you neither asked for it nor were offered it by the BMW shop), but instead the BMW shop charged you their "normal" rate for this work.

5. And now you think the BMW shop treated you unfairly.

Am I pretty close on the facts?

Next time, you should determine the TOTAL COST of a tire change (tire purchase AND installation), before you decide which option is truly the "smoking-good price".
    1. No, you are not close on the facts. How many times do I have to reiterate that I'm NOT complaining, that I did NOT expect a discount and that I do NOT feel treated unfairly? You could try reading posts before responding to them. Sheesh. The dealer got pissed and showed it. I'll react accordingly. No hard feelings. It's just bidness, for him and for me. Comprende?

2. I wasn't asking for your advice about how to deal with future situations. But thanks. I'll file it appropriately.

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by rideoregon View Post
    1. No, you are not close on the facts.
    Well, I asked what the facts were.

How many times do I have to reiterate that I'm NOT complaining, that I did NOT expect a discount and that I do NOT feel treated unfairly? You could try reading posts before responding to them. Sheesh. The dealer got pissed and showed it. I'll react accordingly. No hard feelings. It's just bidness, for him and for me. Comprende?
    So, your ONLY problem about this whole episode was that the dealer acted pissed off when they did the work for you? Is that really the intended point of this thread? If that's the case, then I don't really see what else you planned to PM me about. I also don't understand the purpose of this post by you (and another similar post talking about what you were charged for the work), which I did read:

"I went to pick up my bike, fully expecting to pay shop prices for the work installing my tires. So the dealer charged me for 2.7 hours -- $193 to mount two tires. No one would look me in the eye. I didn't say a word. Just paid the bill and left.

Guess he showed me.

Fair enough. I'll factor that in when making future decisions about where to buy parts and/or service my 2 beemers. No hard feelings. Lots of alternatives."

My experience has been that when people talk about the cost, but say that cost is not really the issue, cost really IS the issue. Sorry for my misunderstanding here.
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 01-15-2009 at 07:30 PM.
    Mike White
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Every time I see these posts, the out come is the same it is a LOse-Lose situation all around.

Dealer policy restricts installation of outside tires= He is a SOB
    Dealer tries to make a small profit on his tire sales= Dealer is a rip off
    Dealer installs tires= Dealer looses $, closes doors and customers bitch because they have to drive xxx miles for service.
    Dealer charges shop rate to install customers tires= Read above.................

Lose-Lose

Sorry it turned out that way for you, but live and learn I guess.

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Sorry it turned out that way for you, but live and learn I guess.
    No, no . . . apparently if the dealer had charged the shop rate for the installation (which he did), but had SMILED ABOUT IT (which he did not), then everything would have been OK.
    Mike White

as i see it:
    dealers may need to charge more than many other places due to overhead costs. however, tire purchasing & installation is a fairly competitive aspect of the business- i can get tires most anywhere, but i can't get my OEM parts from SWMoto.
    BUT, i can't figure out any justification for $193 labor on mounting a set of tires onto a K75- the front wheel is off & then back on in about 20 minutes total, and the rear is maybe 30 (assuming you remove the half fender in back). give some additional leeway to the shop, and call that 1 hr. i'm a rookie, using inferior equipment, and i can dismount, mount & balance 2 tires in well under an hour. give another hour to the shop. where's the extra .7 hours? that's another $50-$75 for ????
    i'm pretty tired of the argument "if we don't give business to the dealer, they won't be around when we need them." how about "if the shop fails to treat customers fairly, and works at being both realistic (charge 3x for removing fairing because each individual job gives time for that to happen? ) & competitive in their pricing, they will be out of business"? it's a 2 way street- we need them, but they need us just as much.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    BUT, i can't figure out any justification for $193 labor on mounting a set of tires onto a K75
    But Bikerfish, the problem here is NOT the charge, it's the BMW shop's attitude. RO has indicated that he has no objection to the amount he was charged for the work.
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 01-15-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    Mike White

I think that this is a subject that covers basic customer satisfaction. Sure, some people are just plain cheap some frugal and some just blow money like it's going out of style. Somehow the businesses that you patronize need to leave you with a feeling of satisfaction if you are to ever come back whatever your "style". It seems like the dealer in question did alright for himself without the profit on the sale of the tires, and yet managed to alienate the customer.

Lots of good businesses have gone under by ticking off customers without doing anything dishonest. Every business that I deal with is only as good to me as our last (satisfactory to me) transaction.

Very simple solution here... Buy your tires on line, then bring them to me. Pull into my spacious Garage and remove your wheel with my tools. ( I'll help you ) then I will mount and balance your new tire, and dispose of your old tire. I'll do all this for $ 25.00 per wheel, and we will have a great time. PS If you have spoke wheels, you will need to bring your own weights.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    ............. PS If you have spoke wheels, you will need to bring your own weights.

BUT lead is toxic!!!

No, no . . . apparently if the dealer had charged the shop rate for the installation (which he did), but had SMILED ABOUT IT (which he did not), then everything would have been OK.
    I've never seen a bike shop charge anywhere close to $193 to mount two tires. My local dealer charged me $25 to mount a Pilot Road some time ago (but he charged me $216 for the single tire, a Pilot Road 2). My Honda dealer used to charge the same amount for mounting on my Goldwing, with the tires at internet-competitive prices. Two local independent shops charge $25-35 per tire to mount, one only tires you buy there, the other, get 'em anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    BUT lead is toxic!!!
    iVe bin usnig lead for yerz and i dno't argee.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

RIDEOREGON
    But Bikerfish, the problem here is NOT the charge, it's the BMW shop's attitude. RO has indicated that he has no objection to the amount he was charged for the work.
    No, that's not what I said (again).

I said it wasn't unfair and that I wasn't complaining. I have no right to complain. That doesn't mean I liked the attitude or was happy with the bill I got. I didn't like the attitude before I got the bill and I didn't like the bill either.

If you go to the doctor and don't negotiate the fee up front, you are kind of at the mercy of the doctor. That doesn't mean you have no objection to the amount of the charge, especially if you sense that the doctor was ticked and used the situation to teach you a lesson.

I think the owner decided to teach me a lesson. He did. I'll remember it. The dealer was within his rights to treat me like a leper and charge me $193 for changing two tires. And I'm within mine when I take my business elsewhere. Like I keep saying: No hard feelings; it's just business.

This is a small dealer in a small city. Like all similar dealers, he's probably flush with customers and doesn't need my business.

Just along for the ride JeffMunn's Avatar
    The question is whether it's inappropriate to buy tires online and pay normal shop rates to have them installed at the local BMW shop?
    Theoretically, it should not be inappropriate. Business is busines, and they have two different parts of the business, parts and SERVICE. If they don't wish to provide the service of mounting tires acquired elsewhere, that is their choice, and I would understand it completely. But they should post that policy, and keep all the emotions out of it. That's just good business sense.

But would I do that to my local BMW shop? No I would not, for all the reasons that have been mentioned here by others. Fortunately for me, it was issues like this that prompted me to buy the equipment and learn to do it on my own.

With this situation, I personally would not give any further business to them no matter their attitude. I would question the professional competence of any motorcycle shop that takes 2.7 hours to remove, mount, balance and re-install two tires. To me that is inexcusable, and would make me question their ability to do the technically difficult work. So like you, I'd be weighing my options and looking elsewhere. That is the choice of every customer.

I'm glad you asked the question. We all walk that line between saving money, and keeping our local shop operating. I give my shop (Morton's) as much money as I can afford, and I try to save money where I can. They understand that.

jeff