Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Etiquette

Brett
    I buy my tires at Southwestmototires.com and it only takes about five minutes to remove them. Then I have a local car tire place mount and balance them for $10.00 a piece. This saves me a ton of money because I usually go through 7 tires a season. Of course you have to be able to find a local guy that will do that for you but not a motorcycle shop, the local shops want $50 to mount and balance because I didn't buy them from them. If I had to have a BMW dealer do it I would have to travel at least 100 miles. So in the end I save a ton of money removing them and reinstalling my self at a total time of about ten minutes. Again the key for me is to just take in the rim tire and valve stem, car places wont remove them for you. Also for me the tire place is on the way to work so I drop off and pick up without any inconveinence.

Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I can understand the dealer being upset, he needs to make $$ to keep the doors open, heat and lights on.

As some said, dealers usually discount installation when they make the sale, so when they charge the flat rate, or hourly rate it usually ends up being $30-$50/ tire and loose the customer because he feels ripped off.

Seems some people want the dealer to take a loss on tire installation which is not fair to them.

Lets look at it from a dealer stand point of cost:
    Writing the service order
    rolling the bike in and on the stand
    removing the wheels
    mounting and balancing the tires
    The $5 fee/ tire it costs them to get rid of the junk tires
    Cleaning the bike after so the customer does not bitch about sloppy work
    Filling out the paperwork
    Cashier time
    Accounting time
    Liability if something goes wrong
    Getting blamed for the chip on the rim from a stone, now the customer wants a new rim at no cost.

AND we expect it all to cost $20????

Been said before, I would not expect a restaurant to cook and serve lobster I bought at the fish store because it was cheaper then their Market price. Personally I would not have the gall to walk into any business and expect installation of parts I purchased cheaper, when they sell the same item. Maybe it is just me.

RIDEOREGON

The Shop Wins

I went to pick up my bike, fully expecting to pay shop prices for the work installing my tires. So the dealer charged me for 2.7 hours -- $193 to mount two tires. No one would look me in the eye. I didn't say a word. Just paid the bill and left.

Guess he showed me.

Fair enough. I'll factor that in when making future decisions about where to buy parts and/or service my 2 beemers. No hard feelings. Lots of alternatives.

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by rideoregon View Post
    I went to pick up my bike, fully expecting to pay shop prices for the work installing my tires. So the dealer charged me for 2.7 hours -- $193 to mount two tires. No one would look me in the eye. I didn't say a word. Just paid the bill and left.

Guess he showed me.
    Did you ask IN ADVANCE what the charge would be?! If not, well, that's your fault.

Did you take the bike to them or just the wheels/tires? If they had to remove/replace the wheels and tires in addition to mounting/balancing the new tires, then 2.7 hours does not sound outrageous . . . at least not to me.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

RIDEOREGON
    I'm not complaining. Fair is fair, even for a regular customer of several years. It then becomes part of the calculus. They made theirs; I make mine.

Republic of Texas
    I'm not complaining. Fair is fair, even for a regular customer of several years. It then becomes part of the calculus. They made theirs; I make mine.
    Sort of sounds like complaining . . . and you did not answer my questions so the rest of us could evaluate whether the dealer really took advantage of you as you seemed to imply.
    Mike White
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

my $.02 worth
    It's the same as you walking in with internet purchased parts and asking them to install. On the flip side the BMW dealers all seem to charge full retail for tires. While they have full control over pricing of OE parts the same should not apply to tires or aftermarket parts. In my mind give the customer at least 10% off, it gives them a feeling of saving some money.
    The best is to set yourself up to do your own tires. I have never farmed that job out except once on the road at 98 degrees high noon.
    The other option is to phone around and find the best rate for supply/re&re from independent shops. Be sure to make sure they are reputable as to not scratching rims etc.
    If you do buy over the internet be sure to confirm that the tires are not old stock by confirming the date code. This holds especially true for odd sized tires.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

RIDEOREGON
    No, I acknowledge it's a business deal. No one's "fault". I'm not "complaining." It becomes part of my business calculus. They have theirs, and I have mine. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I can understand the dealer being upset, he needs to make $$ to keep the doors open, heat and lights on.

As some said, dealers usually discount installation when they make the sale, so when they charge the flat rate, or hourly rate it usually ends up being $30-$50/ tire and loose the customer because he feels ripped off.

Seems some people want the dealer to take a loss on tire installation which is not fair to them.

removing the wheels
    Cashier time
    Accounting time
    Getting blamed for the chip on the rim from a stone, now the customer wants a new rim at no cost.

Been said before, I would not expect a restaurant to cook and serve lobster I bought at the fish store because it was cheaper then their Market price. Personally I would not have the gall to walk into any business and expect installation of parts I purchased cheaper, when they sell the same item. Maybe it is just me.
    Well said!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Republic of Texas
    No, I acknowledge it's a business deal. No one's "fault". I'm not "complaining." It becomes part of my business calculus. They have theirs, and I have mine. Perfect.
    Well, apparently you are not going to answer the questions, so the rest of us will not be able to do our own "business calculus".
    Mike White

RIDEOREGON
    Feel free to send me a PM if you want to use this shop in Oregon, and I'll help you do your business calculus.

Republic of Texas
    Feel free to send me a PM if you want to use this shop in Oregon, and I'll help you do your business calculus.
    No, you are making a public post that essentially says your BMW shop treated you unfairly, so no need for a PM. You should be able to publicly post simple answers to my two simple questions, so that that rest of us can independently judge. I probably won't be needing any BMW shop in Oregon, but it may be useful for the rest of to know if our local shops are treating us differently than your local shop, and vice versa.
    Mike White

RIDEOREGON
    Relax, Tiger. It's not that big a deal. Not sure why it's become such a crusade for you. Let's take a deep breath.

They have their rates posted on the wall. I know what they are. And I've always trusted them to service my bikes calculating the hours accurately and fairly. It's been a mutually-beneficial relationship that has, I think, worked for both of us.

In this case, I'm a long time customer who brought them service business in January. They didn't have to cut me a deal; I had no basis for expecting them to cut me a deal. They didn't cut me a deal. Instead, the owner treated me (again, a longtime customer) like a leper, and service charged me full retail. I assume the tech took 2.7 hours to change the two tires. Fine and fair. It's business.

They clearly didn't like the fact that I bought my tires elsewhere, and they showed it. I didn't realize I was breaching etiquette, which was the subject of my original post.

No hard feelings. No complaints. It's business. It won't have turned out to have been a profitable transaction for them in the longrun, but that's up to them. And to me.

In a free enterprise system, businesses get to decide their policies, and customers get to decide where they do business. It's not a moral statement; just economics.

Peace out.

scqtt
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post

removing the wheels
    Cashier time
    Accounting time

I'm with you on this one as well.

I take care of my dealer and they take care of me. There is a balance.

Republic of Texas
    Relax, Tiger. It's not that big a deal. Not sure why it's become such a crusade for you. Let's take a deep breath.
    Sorry, but it's not a crusade. You started a thread essentially complaining that you thought your BMW shop treated you unfairly, or at least did not treat you like expected to be treated.

Although you never really answered my two questions, it seems the facts are these:

1. You bought a couple of tires on-line for a "smoking-good price".

2. You took your bike and the two tires down to your BMW shop to have them install the tires (apparently, including R/R the wheels on the bike).

3. The BMW shop owner expressed displeasure at you buying your tires elsewhere but bringing your bike and tires to them for installation (but agreed to do the work), but you apparently did NOT ask in advance what the charge would be for this work.

4. You expected to be given the "good customer discount" for this work of installing tires that you bought elsewhere (although you neither asked for it nor were offered it by the BMW shop), but instead the BMW shop charged you their "normal" rate for this work.

5. And now you think the BMW shop treated you unfairly.

Am I pretty close on the facts?

If those are the facts (or close to it), then I don't really have much sympathy for your case. In my opinion, the equities are just not on your side. You made your "savings" in buying the tires, and then you paid the normal price for BMW shop installation on your bike.

Next time, you should determine the TOTAL COST of a tire change (tire purchase AND installation), before you decide which option is truly the "smoking-good price".
    Mike White