Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Etiquette

RIDEOREGON

Tire Etiquette

If this has been covered, I apologize. I did a search and didn't turn it up.

The question is whether it's inappropriate to buy tires online and pay normal shop rates to have them installed at the local BMW shop.

My two beemers are regulars at the local shop, and I've given that shop a fair amount of business, with a couple expensive Level II services and various things in the past few years. This time, I bought a pair of tires on line for a smoking-good price and took them down to the dealer last Saturday to schedule an installation appointment. All went well, appointment scheduled, tires dropped off.

Today, I took the bike in for the appointed service, and I was treated like a pariah, which has never happened before. The owner happened to be there, saw the service tech writing it up, and said in a snide voice: "You get these at ____?" I said, "No, I got them at [name of internet site]." He rolled his eyes and looked away. But I know the tires would have cost more if I'd had him order them, because I asked before I ordered them.

I know it's not cool to use a store to look and fondle merchandise, then buy it online (at least to most of us), but did I do wrong by just having them install tires I'd bought elsewhere? Times are tough for them; but times are tough for everyone. Am I wrong to seek the lowest price at no disadvantage to him? I'm paying full price for the labor, and isn't that a benefit to him?

Republic of Texas
    Excellent question. If the BMW shop will accept doing the tire change (which may not happen at all shops), and charges you for the work (which, of course, they will), then I don't see any etiquette issues. The shop always has the right to refuse the work, and they should not act snobby about it if they do accept the work.

That said, I would not personally do this unless it was really a smokin' hot deal on the tires. To me, it is worth paying a few extra bucks for the intangible good will at the BMW shop.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

You did right by saving yourself some $$, as I am sure most of us do. Each dealer will react differently, but in my own experience it is better to buy the tires on-line and mount them yourself...If this is too difficult, than a techday with some friends may be in order to get them mounted. It isn't hard at all, it is in technique, not force.. If you tick off your dealer, than he may let you wait a bit when you need him the most...Just sayin'

Bob
    My nearest BMW shop is 180 miles away, and really not competetitive anyway.
    I use my local shops, who are friendly and appreciate my business. I just dismount the wheels and bring them in. If you shop around your area, you might find a (insert brand here) dealer, or just bike repair shop, who can get you tires and mount them at a more reasonable price than you think.
    Your BMW dealer will get enough of your $ for other parts and services, on top of what they made selling you the bike.

I have run in to this before as well with the dealer only installing the tire he sells. Most dealers do not charge the full labor rate to dismount and install tires, Labor flat rate on most BMW is 1 hour per wheel on the bike and at $96.00 per hour that computes to $192.00 with most dealer only charge ?ยข that to do the tires and there for they make some of the money up in he tire sale. The other thing could be a liability thing if you was to have a problem with a tire that the dealer did not sell he might be liable for that. This is why I purchased a No Mar tire changer and with the two motorcycles I own it has paid for it self in one year with the discount I get on tires and the labor rate of myself. The model I purchased slides into the receiver on my truck and when not in use I store in the corner of the garage. Good luck in your tire dilemma most of us have been there before

The BMW shop in Ottawa won't mount tires bought elsewhere. So far, they are my cheapest supplier though, so I buy tires there and take them away to mount them myself and am getting better at it.
    I gave 'em 9K for a 10 year old bike and they still think I'm cheap for not buying a new one.

To answer your question though, I think I'd ask first about something like that. It probably varies by shop owner.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I did this once and the service manager asked if I really got that great of a deal after shipping, tax, etc.compared to their 'discounted' price for being in the local club. I did and said so, and they were friendly enough to go ahead and do the mounting with no other qualms I know of. But I came away feeling they did not 'approve'. A year of so later, they did away with their 'discount' program for local clubs and lowered all their prices such that they were competitive. I believe that also increased their volume of tire sales. But by then, with the high miles I and others in our club were doing, we went the route of Mike and JLSquire and a couple tire machines were purchased. I bought a balancer, others got other stuff. That was around '98 and I have since mounted about two sets of tires per year, plus the changes on and off for track days. At least 60 individual tires changed.....quite a savings at the mentioned rates. Our dealer is now competitive enough on tires I will buy from them versus on-line if they have the tire I want that day, then I do my own work.
    Jim
    Mendocino

Mike in NJ
    I did the same thing only my local BMW dealer got even with me by charging me over $65.00 per wheel to mount and balance. Needless to say, I don't do business with them any more if I can help it. Their tire prices were prohibitively high which is why I didn't buy them there in the first place.

The last tire I bought online I had mounted and balanced by a local Victory dealer for $40.00. That's what I consider fair.

Mike in NJ

Tire etiquetter

I don't think that many independent BMW service shops are making a killing, working on motorcycles.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Depending on your relationship with your dealer, you could approach him with your internet cost (tires & shipping) and ask how close he can come to that figure. If he wants your business, and knowing that you will be spending money there for the mounting, he may meet the price or come close enough to make it worthwhile. Never hurts to ask; everything is negotiable.

I order from whoever gives me a reasonable deal and mount them myself.

never used my local BMW shop for tire purchases or mounting- the overall pprices were just criminal. now, with 5 bikes in the house, it was well worth it to buy the tools to do it myself. but even before that, i would look around- there are plenty of hungry shops and indys that are happy for the business you give them. my indy BMW shop (used to work for the local, started their own,place and is now an Aprilia dealer) recognizes that not all customers are cut from the same cloth- and gives different rates for "buy tires here" and "bought them elsewhere" on mounting.
    it's not an etiquette thing, or at least it shouldn't be. there's no place for bad attitude in the retail world.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

New Tires

I'm 120 miles from my dealer so I purchase my tires on line and take them down to my local tire store (2miles away). Most of these guys are changing the low profile tires with TPM and he did not hesitate to change out my tires for $12 each. He even gave me a primer on TPM care in case I decide to do it myself. I'd get the tools and do it myself but I'd need to change a lot of tires to break even. Last summer I had two pilot roads put on the RT in Salt Lake BMW for $500 and using my local guy and an internet tire purchase my cost is $270.
    R1200RT '07, F650CS '03 & Suzuki Bergman '03
    R1150RT 2004 & K75RT 1993 Sold

"It's all about the journey, make the best of the road you find yourself on."

Chromehead

Tired Yet?

Nobody has mentioned (that I saw) anything about road hazard warranties. On another site, I mentioned to a friend that I had gotten a great tire deal online.
    He said that for a little more I could have bought locally (Cycle Gear, I think) and received one. He did and had to use it, which of course paid for itself many times over in just one instance.
    That sounded smart.
    As for mounting, I think it depends on your financial situation. I am an older gradual student with limited $. I use a local wrench to switch them for both of our bikes. He gets $ 40 a tire. Seems fair. If I had the mounting tools, I'd most certainly do it myself.

Cheers

+1 on Cycle Gear. they used to charge me $20/pr to mount tires bought at their place, if i brought them the wheels. i have pulled wheels off numerous beemers in the parking area behind their Manchester, CT store more times than i can recount.

good thread on budget tire changing equipment
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ht=tire+change
    it won't take many $40 bills to pay for this setup.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

That's why i split with a couple guys and bought a tire changer. Just bought the cheap Harbor Friegt model and it works good with a few small modifications. Now i buy on line and change them myself. It has been a great investment. The local dealer was charging $50 per tire if i brought him my wheels and online tires. Now they won't even do them unless you buy the tires from them. I guess i understand, but with onine prices being so much cheaper, it's had to justify buying them at the dealer.

Brian