Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Glaicier NP, approaching from the east?

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsscout View Post
    We all stopped in the next town and got on our knees and thanked Jesus for not killing us with a samsonite suitcase on an Indian reservation.
    Is getting killed by a suitcase on an indian reservation somehow worse than getting killed by a suitcase somewhere else?

I will say this about Browning, my wife's bike broke down there, just outside of town at the junction of Highways 2 and 87. She called a local tow service, who responded promptly (about ten minutes) and brought a tilt bed with a winch to load the bike properly. We had reservations made west of the park and didn't want our weekend ruined, so they stored the bike indoors on a word and a handshake until I could come back to pick it up with my truck three days later. Total bill: $92. And they helped me load the bike on my truck.
    I'm sure there are a few MOA members who would have appreciated service so good in non-"ghettos".

If you explore a little bit, you'll find the Museum of the Plains Indian there, and some fantastic Bob Scriver sculptures in the old mercantile.

MT State of mind
    They have the best July 4th pow-wow in the region, if that is what you are looking to attend.

"Is getting killed by a suitcase on an indian reservation somehow worse than getting killed by a suitcase somewhere else?"

No I just thought it would be ironic. Especially if it were a samsonite suitcase.

Was not meant as a slur and if you took it that way ---- you are way too sensitive.

I live within six miles of and Indian reservation and grew up here. Have a bus load of Natives who are good friends. Don't attempt to label someone until you know them.

I was commenting on the getting killed part, as in: dead is dead, regardless of location.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Is getting killed by a suitcase on an indian reservation somehow worse than getting killed by a suitcase somewhere else?
    Not for the deceased, but yes for the family. The Bureau of Indian Affairs and FBI will treat it like a Federal case - because it is a federal case. I suspect the paperwork would be horrendous.

Same goes in a National Park so don't get hit by a Samsonite in Glacier either - that would be my advice.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 01-22-2009 at 04:37 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Dead is dead, but I think I would rather have my grand children say he was eaten by a bear in Glacier Park than say, a suitcase flew out of the back of a pickup and took him out.

Dead is dead. But then there is the legend that lives on with those that follow.

all good info i live 60 km north of the us border and going to the sun highway is a favorite day ride of mine . i did end up in browning once typical reserve i remember a burned out broken jeep in every other yard always wanted to go back and look for parts but have not .
    1990 gs100

Browning

Over the years, I've learned to trust my instincts, and when I'm standing at the pump there, filling up a German flashbike, I can feel the stares.

I'm also advised by the locals to be very careful which bars to go into.
    Last edited by rinty; 01-22-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I would also recomend staying at Johnson's campground. You will be up on a little hill so you can overlook the valley in some places. The KOA is also a nice spot. Make sure you get there before 9:00 so you can have dinner at the best restaurant anywhere in GNP St. Mary's Cafe. Just across Hwy 2 from Johnson's. Best Pie anywhere in the world. You will have to wait in line, as it is become a little famous.