Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Agnes Sleeping Pad Question

RK Ryder

Big Agnes Sleeping Pad Question

I've read many posts on this site praising the more comfortable sleep achieved with the Big Agnes Sleeping Pad as compared to the Therm-A-Rest pad and I am seriously considering one for this coming summer. However on another site, there are several reviews that mentioned frequent leaks that developed.

My question to this group is; have leaks occurred with your Big Agnes Sleeping Pad?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Nope.

And I've used mine camping on your Canadian Shield rocks! BA works - the only drawback is that they are not self inflating.

The comfort is so good, I don't mind though.

Rally Rat

big agnes leaks

Going on my fourth rally season with no leaks. So much more comfortable than the thermarests I have used in the past. I have the Big Agnes foot pump and a Wal Mart electric pump. The time spent inflating (and deflating with the electric pump) is nothing compared to the comfort of the system. Another big plus is the size of the deflated pad--about as big as 2 softballs. The pumps only add minimal bulk - about one more softball.

Voni and I each slept on ours about 90 nights last year. I had mine for the previous year too. Liked mine well enough she got one too. No leaks. Either mattress. Ever. Yet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Question

I too have been contemplating the addition of a sleeping pad to my cargo, but haven't done too much research as of yet.

Which of the Big Agnes pads do you use and how do they compare to others that you have tried?

Thanks - Monte

Quote Originally Posted by MonteC View Post
    I too have been contemplating the addition of a sleeping pad to my cargo, but haven't done too much research as of yet.

Which of the Big Agnes pads do you use and how do they compare to others that you have tried?

Thanks - Monte
    I don't know - the one that fits my Big Agnes sleeping bag.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Rally Rat

big agnes

I have the Air-Core Insulated Pad. It is rated to 15 degrees. My bag is the down/fibrefill combination, rated to 30 degrees. Have used in in temps as low as the low 30s and have not been cold. The secret is to sleep with minimum clothes, use a cotton bag liner and keep your head covered. If you do not like your face to be confined in the bag, wear a fleece pullover cap. A good inflatable pillow with a flannel cover is also recommended.

As far as I know the Big Agnes mattress comes in only 2 styles. Non-insulated and insulated. Then you have a choise of 2 sizes, Standard and Large. I use the standard/insulated and have been more than happy with it
    T
    Last edited by BeemrTim; 01-12-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Check it out

After decades on a Thermarest, I bought BA in Gillette and managed to sleep right through the big thunderstorm that night. It really is so much more comfortable and easier to pack that it is worth the inflation effort. It does come with patches, but I haven't had to use them yet. If you want to see what it is like, I'll be back in Ancaster next week. PM me for when I'm home.

Holly

No leaks with my BA pad.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Yeah, I like my Fat Agnes pad better than the Thermarest too. Packs smaller.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

FatChance
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteC View Post
    Don't limit yourself to just Big Agnes pads. Be sure to check out the Exped pads, in particular their Downmat pads. I have the Downmat 9DLX and it is the best sleeping pad I have ever used.

I'm considering buying the BA Encampment. In researching all of the reviews I was curious about all of the ominous reports of pads leaking air.....lots of reports complaining about that. I called BA directly and spoke with one of their product people about it. She confirmed the reports of the leaking problems in the earlier release pads that came from a specific vendor.

Going forward with a different vendor they have had very reliable pads without the leaking problems. She said to be sure that when you order a pad (insulated air core) that it is a brown/tan color instead of the older version which is dark blue. I was very satisfied with her feedback and will buy their system. I have complete confidence they will stand behind their product.

Looking forward to more comfort than I've experienced the last twenty years on my Thermarest pads. Good luck!
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

I've had my Big Agnes Aircore pad for 3 years, soon to be 4. No leaks (knock on wood). Get the long one (72" or 78"), don't mess with the short one. It is almost as comfortable as my bed at home. I am a side sleeper and I am very happy with it. I don't have any experience with their sleeping bag.
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar

options at MEC

Try here for an overview:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...=1231860156466

After years on a Thermarest I thought I'd try an inflatable. I wasn't certain I wanted to drop over a hundred to find out I didn't like the inflatables so I tried this one:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1231860169664

Verdict:
    I used it for summer camping so cold was not an issue. It IS a summer pad. It packs so small I will never lug around a thermarest again. The valve with backflow preventer works well. It is a glorified air mattress but I slept very well on it. I am 6'3" and 225 lbs so the 9cm of cushion was fantastic. Also, the night an inch of rain pooled in my tent at Gillette I was happily floating a few inches above it. For 40 bucks it was worth it. I am tempted for an Exped or BA now.

And, since you are in London, you could pop into the MEC store in Toronto one day and compare all of the pads shown on the site. You can even try them out in the store fully inflated.
    G
    Last edited by GrantMacEachern; 01-13-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot some info
    g r a n t