Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photo Editing Software

Photo Editing Software

I'm in the market for decent photo editing software. I don't need Adobe Photoshop. I don't need all the features and I don't want to spend the time figuring it out.

Got any suggestions? I've been looking at Adobe Elements 7 but I hear that it's slow and tends to lock up. Right now I use Roxio PhotoSuite 4, which came with my old Gateway digital camera.

I have a Sony Vaio computer with 508MB of RAM and a 1000MHz Intel Pentium processor. The browser is XP with Service Pack 2.

Thanks.
    Marilyn Roberts
    F800R, R1150R, R100 Mystic
    Add about 1100 to my post count

Google offers a pretty neat program for free called Picassa or Picasso. I'm sure you can find it with Google. I use Photoshop but have also heard good things about Apple's program Aperture (sorry, I think it's Apple only) and Adobe's Lightroom. I think both run around $200.
    Dan

Marilyn,
    I have been very pleased with Picasa, the free one from Google. It has been my primary photo software for a few years now. It is easy to use and easy to order photos from a variety of sources.
    Best,
    Mark
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

bpdougd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    I'm in the market for decent photo editing software. I don't need Adobe Photoshop. I don't need all the features and I don't want to spend the time figuring it out.

Got any suggestions? I've been looking at Adobe Elements 7 but I hear that it's slow and tends to lock up. Right now I use Roxio PhotoSuite 4, which came with my old Gateway digital camera.

I have a Sony Vaio computer with 508MB of RAM and a 1000MHz Intel Pentium processor. The browser is XP with Service Pack 2.

Thanks.
    You might want to stick with the recommendations for Picassa. It's a nice program, well-featured, and it works on modestly configured systems such as yours. Elements would probably not perform very well on your system. BTW, the amount of RAM you have is marginal for Windows XP. For about $20 you could double the amount of RAM and see a real improvement in the responsiveness of your system.

What features do you need? I've been using Photoshop Elements 5 and have quite a bit of power with it. No locking up or slowness.

Irfanview has some basic features and it's free.

Depends on what you're after...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Paint Shop Pro

The new Photo XII is pretty good for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    What features do you need? I've been using Photoshop Elements 5 and have quite a bit of power with it. No locking up or slowness.

Irfanview has some basic features and it's free.

Depends on what you're after...
    Photoshop Elements will give you 90% of what the full Photoshop will do for editing. You can remove elements from one photo and insert into another using "layers" - a feature none of the other low cost programs offers. The automatic correction features are first rate, and it has arguably the best catalog system for your photos of any in this class. On the downside, it is slow at times, and requires some time up front to learn where all the good stuff is scattered.

Picasa is good for light duty work - very easy to use. ACDSee is more powerful than Picasa and relatively easy to use.

If you just want to do light exposure and color adjustments, and crop your photos Picasa will do that, and it's free. If you want to add some advanced editing ACDSee is a great upgrade. If you want to build a long-term catalog, and (eventually) be able to do some very advanced manipulation, Photoshop Elements.

Just my two-cents worth.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    You didn't really say what you'd like to be doing for edits?
    If you just need eye removal, adjust the horizon, tweek the color and resize Fastone Image viewer is a easy to use, free, small footprint
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I've been using Photoshop Elements 5 and have quite a bit of power with it. No locking up or slowness.
    I use Photoshop Elements 5 most of the time.

Uploads photos to Smug Mug. Came free with a Canon scanner:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...#ps-tech-specs
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

I'm liking what Elements does. I'd like to move beyond my Roxio PhotoSuite 4, which will straighten; crop; adjust colors, brightness, hue, etc.; and give me some strange effects if I want them.

I'd like to be able to remove parts of a scene (telephone poles and lines, construction cones, etc.) and adjust white balance. Occasionally I have to photograph jewelry or beads in a mixed lighting situation and I currently can't get rid of the "muddiness."

It's looking like I need a computer upgrade before I can upgrade my photo processing software. Ugh. I already have two laptops, one is 2000 vintage Compaq and this one is circa 2003, a Sony Viao PCG-TR3A, which is small and fits nicely in my motorcycle side case. I really like this Sony.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Marilyn Roberts
    F800R, R1150R, R100 Mystic
    Add about 1100 to my post count

photo editing

Another advantage to Photoshop Elements is that there's a Dummies book for it.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    Photoshop Elements will give you 90% of what the full Photoshop will do for editing. You can remove elements from one photo and insert into another using "layers" - a feature none of the other low cost programs offers. The automatic correction features are first rate, and it has arguably the best catalog system for your photos of any in this class. On the downside, it is slow at times, and requires some time up front to learn where all the good stuff is scattered.

Picasa is good for light duty work - very easy to use. ACDSee is more powerful than Picasa and relatively easy to use.

If you just want to do light exposure and color adjustments, and crop your photos Picasa will do that, and it's free. If you want to add some advanced editing ACDSee is a great upgrade. If you want to build a long-term catalog, and (eventually) be able to do some very advanced manipulation, Photoshop Elements.

Just my two-cents worth.
    As a PhotoShop CS4 user ... I can't agree with your "will give you 90% of what the full Photoshop will do for editing" assertion, but for the audience you are addressing on this forum, I'd say Elements is 200% more usefull than PhotoShop because you don't have to learn so darn much to really use it.
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

In the late 1980s I bought a digital camera - which recorded the pictures on a floppy disk inserted into the camera. With the camera I got a ..... floppy disk ..... with Arcsoft Photo Studio Version 2.0.

Since then we have bought 6 or 7 digital cameras - each with associated software. And I've bought a couple of other photo editing programs.

So guess which program of these 9 or 10 is my primary photo program. You guessed it! Photo Studio.

I now have - and use - on this laptop:

Photo Studio
    Fuji Fine Pix Ver. 4.2
    Picassa 3
    and the ubiqutous Microsoft Paint

They each have a few things they do best - but Photo Studio Version 2.0 from about 1985 does most things best of the bunch. And that doesn't even count the half dozen or more programs I don't install and use any more.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Canadian Rockies Rider

Photo Editing Software

Take a look at Nikon Capture NX2. While it is considered a professional tool and can be a challenge, the tools are exceptionally good and the resulting pictures rewarding. I use RAW rather than JPG files for most of my work and all of the camera manufactures have their own version of RAW, thus for us Nikon users, Capture NX2 is a great option. One big advantage of Capture NX2 is NX2 does not modify the original file! I use PhotoShop Elements 7 for "quick and dirty" work.
    Where to ride today? Mountains or Prairies? Prairies or mountains or.........
    2004 R1150 RT, 85 GPZ900, 74 H1E MACHIII

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post

Just my two-cents worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post
    As a PhotoShop CS4 user ... I can't agree with your "will give you 90% of what the full Photoshop will do for editing" assertion, but for the audience you are addressing on this forum, I'd say Elements is 200% more usefull than PhotoShop because you don't have to learn so darn much to really use it.
    I'm a CS3 user, and while Elements may not be 90%, it is 90% of what the average introductory user is looking for.

I was able to do some great things with Elements, and with the help of Elements, I was able to afford CS3...

Elements is a great value for the price. Until you have mastered Elements, you're not likely to get into the features of the higher priced versions.

-Alex