Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coleman tent/stove on sale (and other things)

BY the way, Ted uses Coleman products at every event I have seen them at. He uses te $39 tent like I had.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by BeemrTim View Post
    BY the way, Ted uses Coleman products at every event I have seen them at. He uses te $39 tent like I had.
    T
    I've never seen the tents I use go for $39, their site lists them for $60 for 7x7 and $70 for 9x7. I get a qty discount, of course.

They do hold up well, when properly staked, they can withstand pretty severe weather. Only lost two or three with that huge storm in Lima (out of 80 tents, winds gusted over 60 mph).

Coleman has been very good as far as replacing leaky air mattresses, tent poles, etc.

I do use Coleman tents, air mattresses and sleeping bags. Looks like only recently they started making chairs that suit my needs, in the past, I've always gotten ozark chairs (and full size pillows) from Walmart.

The Coleman products put up with a decent amount of abuse and have no regrets using their products.
    Camping guy

The one I had was a 7x7 and I believe it had a MSRP of around $60. Caught it on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $39.95. Seems like they are on sale every time I go in the store.

Pay's to look around a bit. Coleman has the best bang for the buck going in camping equipment (in my humble opinion).
    T

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonr View Post
    Shipping size is 23.5 x 7.25 x 7 , 12 lb so I would think you could take a little off of all of these for packaging. my guess.
    Received mine, today. They changed the packaging a bit from my "old" model, which only came in a stuff sack. This one has a longer package with a zipper.

First things first - I was a bit worried when I pulled out a tightly packed green bag, but inside the green bag is another cardboard box with the tent inside. The rolled up tent by itself is pretty close to the figures above. It's pretty much right on at 23". I'd say 7x7 for width and height, though maybe 6.5. Not bad for a tent this size.

Here it is rolled up:

Here it is with it's green bag. It's plenty roomy, so I don't think there would be a problem re-packing it if you decide to use the green bag. I may use a separate stuff sack, myself.

For proof, here it is fitting easily into my large Ortleib bag that I strap to the rear seat:

And here it is with it's green bag separate to show that there is room enough for two, plus space on top of them, yet. I know the green bag is not expanded. It would still fit, trust me. There is also plenty of room on top for other things. Maybe not enough for a sleeping bag rolled (you probably wouldn't be able to roll the Ortleib bag down).

And finally, just a shot of the Ortleib bag holding the tent. Again, it's the "large" size:

I hope everyone who ordered likes them. Seems like a steal for $29. If you don't like it, sell it on E-bay for $40 or $50. If you have a yellow bag like mine, I think you could get the tent plus two therm-a-rests, or one therm-a-rest and a small sleeping bag (that rolls up to a similar size) in there. Possibly more. Judge for yourself, of course.

And sorry, no set-up pictures. It's very cold and snowy outside, I have a cold, and I'm not sure I have room in my house to set it up without moving furniture.

Coleman Tent Reveiw

Very imformative. Thanks for taking the time and pictures, which allows other members the chance to see this bargain.

That appears to be a Crestline tent. I use Sundome.

According to the Coleman site, the Crestline costs more than Sundome (MSRP, etc). I can only assume then that the Crestline is a little better than what I provide with my service.

If the picture on that box is accurate, I like how far the rain fly goes down.

The Sundome rain fly varies from year to year, was so short one year I didn't buy any replacement tents until the following year.
    Camping guy

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    That appears to be a Crestline tent. I use Sundome.

According to the Coleman site, the Crestline costs more than Sundome (MSRP, etc). I can only assume then that the Crestline is a little better than what I provide with my service.

If the picture on that box is accurate, I like how far the rain fly goes down.

The Sundome rain fly varies from year to year, was so short one year I didn't buy any replacement tents until the following year.
    It indeed is the Crestline. They are a bit bigger than the sundome. It's sort of a sundome with two trapezoidal areas on two of the sides. It adds two poles. As I said, I used my old one in a number of storms (including the '06 rally) and never got a drop on me. The photo is indeed correct regarding the rainfly. They did change the design a little since my old one. The "old" version had one straight pole running front to back that you basically tied to the two main pulls. This newer "u" shaped design looks better, actually.

It's a steal for $30.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    It's a steal for $30.
    Indeed.

I think that's a better price than I get for the 9x7 direct from Coleman (when I buy quantity, which is usually $5k-$10k per purchase).
    Camping guy

I have a 7x5 two man version of the sundome. It kept me dry in Lima, Essex Junction and Gillette. Definitely a good value. I was saying my prayers in Gillette I confess. The cloth tubes that enclose the crossed poles are getting a bit ragged most likely due to my carelessness, but have a long way to go as far as I can tell.

I was thinking that the Ortleib waterproof bag might not be the best to carry a tent such as this' My thinking is that the tent getting/being wet is to be expected so why fight it. a porous stuff bag would not permit a rolled up wet tent to properly dry out, but would help. I would think that the ortleib would keep water in just as well as it normally keeps it out.

Use the ortleib to keep things like your sleeping bag & clothing dry, don't put a wet tent in with them when breaking camp early in the morning (and plan on your tent being wet in the morning). Mine has ridden quite well in the green bag on the bike.

Here is a link to the HTW PDF Perhaps the concepts of dry vs wet packing shown will be some food for thought.
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/d...nTwowheels.pdf
    Last edited by amiles; 01-19-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Seems to me the biggest problem packing these tents on a bike is the length of the poles. They still take a bit of room even when all folded down.

I think I've heard of someone making custom fiberglass poles that come in shorter sections so they pack away easier. I didn't come across such a site that provides custom length poles with short sections, but I did come across this site:

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

If you scroll down a bit, you'll see directions on how to make your own. With a little time on your hands to build your own, you could end up with a set of poles that pack much easier, and I believe would only be a very minor hassle to deal with during eventual tent construction.

If I thought there was a big demand for such a product, I'd do this myself and offer them up for sale.
    Camping guy

ground cloth

I just ordered one of these (I need more room), but forgot about a ground cloth. The people who use this, do you not use a ground cloth? If not, any problems?
    the Luz

Quote Originally Posted by theLuz View Post
    I just ordered one of these (I need more room), but forgot about a ground cloth. The people who use this, do you not use a ground cloth? If not, any problems?
    I never use ground cloth. Never for years of personal use or for the Sherpa camp.

I've always found the ground dry under the tent when packing up wet tents. I've seen ground cloths that extend beyond the footprint of the tent, and water stays on top of the cloth (usually vinyl, etc) and thus ends up being trapped between the cloth and the tent. I've just never seen a need for ground cloths with today's tents.

I've also had mild flooding (Georgia Mountain Rally, it usually rains during that rally) where my tents were situated in several inches of water. The tents remained dry inside, a testimony to the Coleman bathtub bottom.

There will be others that have a different opinion, but you got my $0.02.
    Camping guy

When I used mine, I never used a ground sheet. This tent has a pretty tough bottom. If you REALLY wanted to make it last forever you could use one, but I would say unless you frequently camp on rocks, you won't need it.

Thumbs up

Received my Crestline today. A very nice tent especially considering the price. I wondered about a footprint/ground cloth but will try the tent without one for the time being. I like the size of the tent as it will accommodate a twin size air mattress leaving a generous space for bags and incidentals. I will use this tent for the Winter Rally at Camp Blanding in February. Ride Safe

Thanks for the link on this sale. I've used a Eureka Wind River Geo dome 2-3 man since 1989 with excellent service. It's still working fine but I'm sure it'll wear out sometime and I've been looking at the MSR Mutha Hubba as a high quality replacement.

After reading all of the great comments about these tents combined with the $30 price tag, how could I not take a flyer and try this tent out? I'm aware that this isn't a backpacking tent but I either motorcycle or car camp anyway. As long as I stay dry and the tent can withstand a thunderstorm I'm going to be pretty happy. I suspect this tent will last more than a season or two but even if it doesn't I will have received a good value.

Can't wait to try it out but it's -7F at 1:00pm here today.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red