Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colorado in August 2009

Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned. Colorado is a great place to ride. Go to my photo site, the flickr link below, and look at the set called "Summer 2008 Riding" and you'll see many of these places.

And I'll second the 100,000 foot mountain pass ride. I did it last August for the first time and it was a very fun day of riding.
    Christopher Ross, Lubbock, Texas

2012 R1200GSA
    1974 R90S

Pretty much any two lane highway west of I-25 will yield good riding, but a loop not to be missed if you have the time is Colo. 141, you catch it about 10 miles south of Grand Junction on Highway 50, then take Colo 145 out of Naturita to Cortez. From there, east on US Hwy 160 to Durango, then north out of Durango on US Hwy 550 to Montrose. This is probably one of the best loops in Colorado, and 141/145 are not heavily travelled or patrolled and are just made for motorcycles. I'm salivating just sitting here writing about it in January (sob). You can do this loop in a day, it's about 390 miles starting and ending in Grand Junction. 2 days would allow you to savor it more. And, if you do go to Grand Junction, don't miss Colorado National Monument.

I am in the planing stage of my trip through Colorado in late July of '09. I have seen many great suggestions here and will be incorporating as many of them as possible into my ride. Thank you all for providing your suggestions. Sounds like my Colorado trip just got longer and better!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ryd View Post
    Pretty much any two lane highway west of I-25 will yield good riding, but a loop not to be missed if you have the time is Colo. 141, you catch it about 10 miles south of Grand Junction on Highway 50, then take Colo 145 out of Naturita to Cortez. From there, east on US Hwy 160 to Durango, then north out of Durango on US Hwy 550 to Montrose. This is probably one of the best loops in Colorado, and 141/145 are not heavily travelled or patrolled and are just made for motorcycles. I'm salivating just sitting here writing about it in January (sob). You can do this loop in a day, it's about 390 miles starting and ending in Grand Junction. 2 days would allow you to savor it more. And, if you do go to Grand Junction, don't miss Colorado National Monument.
    ok, ok, it's hard to stop..while your at the monument, be sure to ride Unaweep Canyon http://www.durangobill.com/UnaweepCanyon.html. Stop on 7th Street in old town Grand Junction, and eat GREAT Mexican at Los Trees Reyez http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/d...flat/ID=217927, then ride east a bit on I-70 to the Grand Mesa http://www.grandmesabyway.org/. Come out into Delta, and in August, you may have Colorado peaches, the BEST in the world! Be sure and stop at the fruit stands. Go towards Montrose and wind up to Telluride. Don't miss the Bridal Falls outside of Telluride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qolwPcDSo74 for some great surroundings...whew!

I live vicariously throught your trip planning! Where ever you go in Colorado, you will have a ball!

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Where ever you go in Colorado, you will have a ball!
    well, not counting the necessary evil of the eastern plains, of course.
    and hold your nose closed if you come thru Kersey area on US34- the feedlots can be pretty brutal.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    well, not counting the necessary evil of the eastern plains, of course.
    and hold your nose closed if you come thru Kersey area on US34- the feedlots can be pretty brutal.
    The old joke was..

A guy was on a date with his gal, and out parking, and she said..."oh honey, please kiss me where it stinks!!"

So he drives her to Greeley!

Registered User westhautianplen's Avatar

2nd 141 Along The Delores River

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ryd View Post
    I would highly recommend this ride also.
    Plen Smith
    07 R1200RT

As does Clement Salvidore.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

okay- what's your favorite mexican food places in FtC and Loveland? I know the Rio does the best margs, but who's got the best rellenos and el pastor? i like Taquerio Rancho Allegre 3 over on 14th St. near the old H-P plant.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Although Mexican food for me is/was a staple in my life, it's been 6 years since I fed this south of the border habit it Fort Fun..

The Rio was my favorite in atmosphere and has the best Tacos el Carbon, my favorite rellenos and other Mexican especials has to go to the place off highway 14 and Link Lane, North of The Hunt strip club...forgot the name... Castillions?

Taquerio Rancho Allegre 3 was not there, but I will go next summer when I'm riding out there in the fall...

Been awhile...

Greeley in all it's glory used to have several holes in the wall Mexican Places that were great! El Charro on 9th street was real mex and delicious! Not hot like tex mex, but real authentic flavor...

I used to hate El Burrito off Pine Street and Linden, but ended up eating there alot because I worked abut four blocks away...

if you like Castillion's you'll love Rancho Allegre. we had our local BMW club- the Twisted Shaft- meetings at Castillion's for awhile. nothing special was my estimation.
    when you heading out here? we'll have to do some riding! and eating
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

OUTBACKUFO
    Quote Originally Posted by glennhendricks View Post
    Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista to Taylor Park is a great ride, dirt road and not a huge amount of traffic. From Taylor Park you can go north to the Aspen area via jeep roads.

Warning about the Taylor Pass Rd... This is what you will find to get up to the pass then down the easy side to Aspen...

i'd sure rather tackle that going uphill than down! that kind of large scrabble doesn't give much for braking traction. or most any other kind of traction you might be looking for.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBACKUFO View Post
    Warning about the Taylor Pass Rd... This is what you will find to get up to the pass then down the easy side to Aspen...

I have hiked this a time or two, and would have no problem on my 250, but for this trail, my 12 GS "Pig" will never asked to go..

I remember several other areas rutted out and full of ponds that could be quite a go.

I did, however get quite a few miles above Marble a couple of years ago, to a camp above the trees! That's as far as she goes!

Again, my hats off to you!