Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the policy regarding guns on the rally site?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Legal possession of a firearm cannot be superceded by any policy or 'rule' of the MOA.

Unless a TN law or local ordinance prohibits weapons on the rally site property, the question is moot.
    Where you can't carry a gun
    Even with a carry permit, there are lots of places where a gun is off-limits, from the obvious to the not-so-obvious (some laws apply only to Tennessee):

Airports
    Most court facilities
    Federal parks
    Public facilities, including city parks and greenways.
    School grounds, including public schools, private schools, and colleges. There's an exception when dropping off students, as long as the gun stays in the car and isn't handled.
    Any private property where a notice is posted. In Knoxville, that includes all of West Town Mall.
    Anywhere alcohol is served. In addition, you can't carry while you're drinking. In Tennessee, there's no threshold or blood alcohol level. No drinking whatsoever is allowed while carrying.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Sorry, I already asked.

I'm sure someone from the Rally committee will let us know what it is.
    If you'd like an official response, please send a note on this question to "board@bmwmoa.org" or to "rayz@bmwmoa.org". Thanks.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    If you'd like an official response, please send a note on this question to "board@bmwmoa.org" or to "rayz@bmwmoa.org". Thanks.
    Thanks Greg. On the way.

I posted the question here as the very first post on this forum includes this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by vanmar27 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I thought it may be a good idea to start this thread after reading several rally related comments on various other threads. The purpose here is to exchange information and try to answer questions related specifically to the MOA National Rally NEXT year 2009.

Now, it is your turnany questions or comments?

Vance Harrelson
    2009 Rally Chair
    Perhaps I read too much into this statement.

Thanks Greg. On the way.

I posted the question here as the very first post on this forum includes this statement:

Perhaps I read too much into this statement.
    No, you read that right. But, such a policy would come from the Board, so it's not a bad idea to ask there. Your email to the Board is making the rounds right now. I can give you the short answer is that as far as I can tell we have no official Policy on the books about this, and I've never heard of an un-official one at any of our rallies - or for that matter any BMW rally I've been to.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    No, you read that right. But, such a policy would come from the Board, so it's not a bad idea to ask there. Your email to the Board is making the rounds right now. I can give you the short answer is that as far as I can tell we have no official Policy on the books about this, and I've never heard of an un-official one at any of our rallies - or for that matter any BMW rally I've been to.
    Thanks Greg. Always appreciate your prompt response.

I'm going to make no further posts on this issue and see what the Board thinks is appropriate as they have the final say.

Ride Well

Where you can't carry a gun
    Even with a carry permit, there are lots of places where a gun is off-limits, from the obvious to the not-so-obvious (some laws apply only to Tennessee):

Airports
    Most court facilities
    Federal parks
    Public facilities, including city parks and greenways.
    School grounds, including public schools, private schools, and colleges. There's an exception when dropping off students, as long as the gun stays in the car and isn't handled.
    Any private property where a notice is posted. In Knoxville, that includes all of West Town Mall.
    Anywhere alcohol is served. In addition, you can't carry while you're drinking. In Tennessee, there's no threshold or blood alcohol level. No drinking whatsoever is allowed while carrying.
    There is a tavern in Wisconsin that SELLS guns and ammunition.
    (Leland, Wisconsin - Sprecher Tap)

I guess I am wondering how you would enforce such a policy?
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Rosebud...It's his sled. DwayneH's Avatar
    Common sense should prevail here. I too like Firearms, pistols and such, but I would NEVER consider bringing one to a public event. Just because you have a permit to carry, doesn't mean you need to ALL THE TIME. The fact that you have mentioned here that you want to bring a Firearm, sets you up for theft, should someone figure out who you are.

Seriously, please leave the Firearm at home, and if you want to talk guns, hell I'm there, but to actually bring one...for what purpose exactly?

The short answer, consult the local gun ordinances in Washington County, TN, site of
    the Rally. I tried calling the site office but they must be off for the holiday.

Will call them on Monday to get their response.

advrider.com
    Why does it matter so much?

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Why does it matter so much?
    If the question is directed at me, the answer is that I like to be aware of my surroundings.

Why does anyone feel the need to have a weapon at the Rally? Is there any history of violence? Is the site in Grey more dangerous than previous sites?

If it's this dangerious I think I'll just go to a Harley rally!!
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

I would like to make sure that no one is allowed to have a knife on the site.

Also no items that have the capability of holding explosive liquids or gasses.

Oh, and no more conch shells, dammit.

Would the board please specify these requirements for entrance to the rally site to please me.

Thank-you for your attention.

Cool

I respectfully disagree. This is a private event and the organization can choose to not allow weapons on the grounds. Just like they are not allowed in other places in states with carry permits.

It is not an unrestricted right.
    I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement.

Courtesy of the most recent ruling from the US Supreme Court, one's right to bear arms can only be restricted by a federal, state or local (ordinance) statute.

This commonly does occur where court houses, taverns, aircraft, schools and public institutions come into play (or a felony conviction), but still requires a legal foundation (statute) to support the restriction.

The MOA may prefer that no one possess a firearm at a rally, but they simply cannot sidestep the Constituion to accomplish that goal. If Johnson City (TN) legally prohibits firearms on the fairgrounds, the MOA is welcome to 'ride their coat tails' and post such a restriction as a rally addendum.

Personally, I don't relish the guy in the tent three bikes down from me stumbling back from the Beer Tent to cuddle up with a .357 magnum under his pillow.

But it's like the STOP Signs posted all over the Wal-Mart parking lot. You can 'blow right thru them' without any fear of being cited, since they have no statutory authority (at least not in WI) - they exist only as a courtesy for pedestrian/customer traffic.

Without due process, you have no legal restriction.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 01-02-2009 at 09:59 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

E_Page
    If law enforcement are present and carrying guns, even with kids running around, no one really thinks about it, and no one objects. If all those carrying guns were as responsible with them as we expect our law enforcement folks to be, there would be no problem. Most gun owners that I know are that responsible (many are law enforcement).

Unfortunately, there are a minority of gun owners who are less responsible to varying degrees, and a miniscule minority who have them for nefarious reasons. They are the ones who get the press when they do something stupid or criminal, and they represent what most non-gun owners think of when they picture gun owners.

Unless you are hoping for the BMWMOA to say "No guns, no knives, no staws with spit wads!", it is foolish to even ask the question in today's social and political climate. If forced to state a policy, they would most likely set a no-weapons policy for fear of litigation, if not for the unreasonable fear that there will be a remake of the gunfight at the OK Corral.

I know that I am one of the responsible gun-owners, carrying in a safe manner when I do carry, and keeping it inaccessible to kids and other adults. If I were considering bringing a weapon for protection while travelling, I would make my decision on that criteria and on the state carry laws, and not upon the idea that I needed to get someone else's permission.

What happens when the organization denies permission is that the very people who you would consider that you may need to protect yourself from, either at the rally or while travelling to or from, will have ignored any such prohibition. If worse comes to worst, you may find yourself in a gunfight not having brought a knife (those are prohibited too), but with a 10mm box end wrench. Good luck, Hoss, you got one shot.

Answering SIBUD's last question of whether there is a perceived need to be armed for fear of violence at the rally. I haven't been to one of the BMW rallies. I expect it's a bit more civil than many of the Harley rallies. That being the case, I woudln't feel the need for any hardware. Most often, I like to have it when travelling. It's a big country and there's some rough spots between home and many destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by E_Page View Post
    If law enforcement are present and carrying guns, even with kids running around, no one really thinks about it, and no one objects. If all those carrying guns were as responsible with them as we expect our law enforcement folks to be, there would be no problem. Most gun owners that I know are that responsible (many are law enforcement).

Unfortunately, there are a minority of gun owners who are less responsible to varying degrees, and a miniscule minority who have them for nefarious reasons. They are the ones who get the press when they do something stupid or criminal, and they represent what most non-gun owners think of when they picture gun owners.

Unless you are hoping for the BMWMOA to say "No guns, no knives, no staws with spit wads!", it is foolish to even ask the question in today's social and political climate. If forced to state a policy, they would most likely set a no-weapons policy for fear of litigation, if not for the unreasonable fear that there will be a remake of the gunfight at the OK Corral.

I know that I am one of the responsible gun-owners, carrying in a safe manner when I do carry, and keeping it inaccessible to kids and other adults. If I were considering bringing a weapon for protection while travelling, I would make my decision on that criteria and on the state carry laws, and not upon the idea that I needed to get someone else's permission.

What happens when the organization denies permission is that the very people who you would consider that you may need to protect yourself from, either at the rally or while travelling to or from, will have ignored any such prohibition. If worse comes to worst, you may find yourself in a gunfight not having brought a knife (those are prohibited too), but with a 10mm box end wrench. Good luck, Hoss, you got one shot.
    I asked an honest question with no agenda. Only asking for information.

To then equate sidearms with knives and straws spit wads seems to be a red herring.

Are you saying that we can no longer ask a question because of today's social and political climate? Or are you saying that because of today's social and political climate we should just expect people to be armed where ever we go?

I don't expect to have to protect myself from anyone traveling to or from a rally. Do you? I pretty much travel around the US with no fear of my life or safety. But there seem to be some that feel insecure where ever they go.