Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vacation plan help needed for Blue Ridge area

trip is semi planned.

Well the plans are set reservations made.
    3 days in the north end around Peaks of Otter, 3 days at the Bluffs Lodge, and the remainder at Pisgah Inn in NC.

Day rides on and around the Parkway. Each destination is about 150 to 175 mles so that day wont include saddle time but that will work out best for the wife.

While I can easily do 300 to 500 mile days back to back she cannot. So the truck ride will be ok to get from each destination. Plus if the wife picks up some stuff along the way we wont owe FedEx a ton when we get home. I will fit all my stuff collected on memory chips from my camera

We will take in the many sights suggested. We will be skipping the dragon as there are many other roads less traveled.

We will be print out this thread and bring it along with us fro reference.

Cheers!
    Mike G
    Northern Illinois Packer fan
    Bikes: 2009 R1200RT

Good suggestions all. Considering the time of year once off the parkway it should be hot enough to welcome some splashing around. Around the corner from the Pisgah is Sliding Rock off 276 (heading to Brevard) just down a bit from the cradle of forestry and Looking Glass Falls (almost Roadside). Sliding Rock is just that 80 feet of natural water slide into a 5-6 foot deep pool. $1.00 a person gets you parking and a changing room, and cooled off.
    Sandy Becker, Rider Formerly known as Capecodbeemer
    Veni, Vedi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
    Asheville, NC

Quote Originally Posted by capecodbeemer View Post
    Good suggestions all. Considering the time of year once off the parkway it should be hot enough to welcome some splashing around. Around the corner from the Pisgah is Sliding Rock off 276 (heading to Brevard) just down a bit from the cradle of forestry and Looking Glass Falls (almost Roadside). Sliding Rock is just that 80 feet of natural water slide into a 5-6 foot deep pool. $1.00 a person gets you parking and a changing room, and cooled off.
    This sounds like a way cool idea! When we were in hawaii last year same deal off the road to hana but temps were unseasonably cool on maui at the time.

any side trip that is only $1.00 per peson can't be all bad.

Right now in the Chicago area it is a whopping 4deg. and the thought of swimming out side yikes!

Cheers Thanks again. I cannot believe all the good suggestions so far. And Imagine I bought 5 or 6 books to do the research.

Thanks to all

Cheers
    Mike G
    Northern Illinois Packer fan
    Bikes: 2009 R1200RT

SUNNYBEAR
    276 is also a great road...although not too long...cycled it before (foot power that is) and camped too many times at Davidson River...

from the Parkway take 276 down into Brevard for lunch

you may hit the beginning of blueberry season up around Graveyard Fields...

there is a motorcycle only campground that my folks use to go to on the other side of the parkway...on the way to Cold Mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    if this is the case, you might consider making the blue ridge motorcycle campground a base camp. you will be there with like minds.

ian

Yes what he said.

Within spitting distance of the Pisgah Inn. Nice cabins, great folks and food on the weekends. Also where we are having the second Klassic K Kampout on the weekend of July 10-12.

IMHO 276 towards Brevard is full of tourists that time of year and has some rough pavement sections. very pretty though. NC 215 is one of my favorites, along with other roads that I can't tell about.

SOunds like you are going to have a great trip!

JANMILLER
    http://www.blueridgeonline.com/BandBs.htm

We stayed at Brooksong in Maggie Valley,

http://www.brooksong.com/

charming, new, and Betty and Cletis were great hosts...

The biggest problem we had on the BRP was lack of grocery stores, seems Walmart has killed off all the Mom and Pops.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by scbmwrider View Post
    Yes what he said.

Within spitting distance of the Pisgah Inn. Nice cabins, great folks and food on the weekends. Also where we are having the second Klassic K Kampout on the weekend of July 10-12.

IMHO 276 towards Brevard is full of tourists that time of year and has some rough pavement sections. very pretty though. NC 215 is one of my favorites, along with other roads that I can't tell about.

SOunds like you are going to have a great trip!
    The Pisgah Inn ON the parkway is also a very nice place, spend the extra $15 and stay in the remodeled units. Not cheap, but not that expensive. The wife will appreciate it. They have a GREAT restaurant on premises, and prices are very reasonable for the quality of food. Wife and I spent 4 nights there last summer. One of the days she stayed on the balcony and read a book while taking in the great scenery, and let me play alone for the day.