Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zumo 660

Thanks for posting the link also. Looks like I might be getting another Zumo. It would be cool if they would provide updates with those new features for the 550, therefore saving people money. But I might be asking too much on that front. Also, a lot cheaper then the 550. Anyway, I will be looking at the new Zumo when it comes out and planning on how I'm going to sell my first child to get it and I don't even have any kids.
    Recycling saves the Planet. Peace saves lives.
    '05 BMW F650cs
    MOA, BMWBMW, BMWRA, AMA, Black Belt Gang,
    MSF, Rider's Edge instructor IBA#35617

Ute's Chauffeur
    According to Garmin no XM radio

wouldn't that be the same as the 450?
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

No XM, but price is $639.99 for AMA member logged-in. Also is FM traffic capable, and that was very reliable in PHX when I used it with the other Zumo I had (still have an extra, wrapped one I can use with the new 660 if make a go at it).

Music via MP3 is good, but I have a now useless SD card, since 660 uses micro SD. Not like the 450 though, this one will connect BT, and is stereo BT, while 550 is mono BT, and no XM BT headset anyway
    Last edited by AZ-J; 01-08-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: added
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

No Freeway Avoidance routing

Looks like the 660 still doesn't have what I wanted to have on my 550, Freeway Avoidance Routing. I hate riding on Interstates, and my Garmin always wants to direct me that way. Magellan's have this capability. Don't know how well it works, but I would love to have the option.
    Skidgillen

Black 2002 R1150R abs
    "I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by skidgillen View Post
    Looks like the 660 still doesn't have what I wanted to have on my 550, Freeway Avoidance Routing. I hate riding on Interstates, and my Garmin always wants to direct me that way. Magellan's have this capability. Don't know how well it works, but I would love to have the option.
    Isn't that a function of the MapSource software ?
    JD Watson
    2004 R1150RT
    "Too much of a good thing is not enough..."

Quote Originally Posted by jdwatson View Post
    Isn't that a function of the MapSource software ?
    Mapsource does offer this capability but several models (276C included) offer "route preferences" for GPS based routing that would include avoid "interstates", "unpaved roads", "u-turns" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    Mapsource does offer this capability but several models (276C included) offer "route preferences" for GPS based routing that would include avoid "interstates", "unpaved roads", "u-turns" etc.

IIRC, my car-used StreetPilot i5, nuvi 680, nuvi 770, and a formerly owned BMW Zumo on my lemon-status F800S, all had/have "route preferences" or "map preferences" for GPS based travels to avoid "interstates", "unpaved roads", "u-turns" and more, i.e., "toll roads". I cannot imagine that Garmin omitted this on any of the newer units.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

the good news is... with the 660 soon to be available, the price on the 550 should come down...

It says it does have this feature if you do the compare with the 550.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

This website link shows that it can avoid interstates. Cool. The previous garmin blog website link didn't mention anything about it.

My 550 will avoid "Highways" not interstates, and when I try to use this avoidance it will sometimes totally route me in the opposite direction I want to go, add several hours if not days to a trip. And in some cases it routes me back onto an interstate. I complained to Garmin about this error when I first got my 550, and I just got a generic email in return. This may be their fix.

I could use the Mapsource on laptop to custom make my routes, but I don't take my laptop everywhere I go. And for the price of the gps, why should I have to.

Thanks for letting me rant.
    Skidgillen

Black 2002 R1150R abs
    "I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

This website link shows that it can avoid interstates. Cool. The previous garmin blog website link didn't mention anything about it.

My 550 will avoid "Highways" not interstates, and when I try to use this avoidance it will sometimes totally route me in the opposite direction I want to go, add several hours if not days to a trip. And in some cases it routes me back onto an interstate. I complained to Garmin about this error when I first got my 550, and I just got a generic email in return. This may be their fix.

I could use the Mapsource on laptop to custom make my routes, but I don't take my laptop everywhere I go. And for the price of the gps, why should I have to.

Thanks for letting me rant.

With all due respect, until you've seen how this unit really operates in its menus, maybe you need to rant somewhere else.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Will the 550 power cable fit the 660, or will I have to lay a new cable on each bike? Stay tuned....

Fred

Mudbug
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Will the 550 power cable fit the 660, or will I have to lay a new cable on each bike? Stay tuned....

Fred
    Yes.