Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57

Thread: The state of Rhode Island

  1. #31
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Hi Razman10, We have a meetingt coming up in 2 weeks. Stop on by. Location is in the web sight located in my signature. Later
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  2. #32
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusma View Post
    Rhode Island also has "Coffee Syrup" Delicious!!!!
    And don't forget the "Family Guy" which is filmed live in Rhode Island..
    Last edited by r11rs94; 03-07-2009 at 12:18 AM.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  3. #33
    razman10
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Hi Razman10, We have a meetingt coming up in 2 weeks. Stop on by. Location is in the web sight located in my signature. Later
    Thanks for the invite... I actually mailed my application to the group in December. I was waiting for confirmation before attending any meetings. I just confirmed a day or two ago that my info was received, so I SHOULD be there on the 9th.

    The only GOTCHA is that a networking group I belong to has a GREAT topic that same night. I'm trying to get someone to record that meeting for me. That way I'll get both!

  4. #34
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by razman10 View Post
    Thanks for the invite... I actually mailed my application to the group in December. I was waiting for confirmation before attending any meetings. I just confirmed a day or two ago that my info was received, so I SHOULD be there on the 9th.

    The only GOTCHA is that a networking group I belong to has a GREAT topic that same night. I'm trying to get someone to record that meeting for me. That way I'll get both!
    Thats great. I'll be the guy sellng the club stuff. introduce your self when you get there and welcome aboard..
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    R.I.
    Posts
    54
    Ray, and I am the secretary so show up early and say hello. The next meeting is awards night.
    Bill K
    Foster,RI
    05 R1200RT

  6. #36
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by razman10 View Post
    I call it God's country...

    Though I would love to live in a warmer climate that provides year-round riding, we in Rhode Island:

    • generally don't get the BITTER cold as the upper mid-west and northern New England
    • generally don't experience the outrageous heat as the southwest
    • are not prone to earthquakes as much as the west
    • don't experience STRONG hurricanes as the southeast
    • have hills that make the area NON-conducive to tornadoes as the mid-west


    Add to this the fact that we generally do not get too much snow annually, and it's a great place to live/work/play.

    If you haven't been here, be sure to visit!!!

    Just don't leave without having some coffee milk, and Del's frozen lemonade (the real stuff, not the powdered stuff)
    Toss in some Gray's ice cream too!

  7. #37
    cheesewhiz
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    And don't forget the "Family Guy" which is filmed live in Rhode Island..
    And the film "Me Myself and Irene" was set there too! (AND featured some great motorcycle footage)

  8. #38
    Registered User soffiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sterling, CT
    Posts
    713
    Providence has three universities that are renowned internationally: Brown, Rhode Island School of Design, and Johnson&Wales. I don't mean to slight Providence College or Rhode Island College, also in Providence; I'm just not sure they have the same international stature. Moving outside Providence, but still in Rhode Island, you've got Bryant University, Salve Regina, and the University of Rhode Island (a "state" school but with international acclaim in some programs, oceanography for example)

    Brown brings Ivy-League intellect, RISD brings a wealth of creativity, and J&W brings... FOOD! Their culinary program is among the very best. Not coincidentally, Providence has an abundance of fantasic restaurants.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

  9. #39
    Addicted to curves azgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    685
    Let's not forget the Speidel building in downtown Providence... it's the one George Reeves jumped over in the original Superman series!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

  10. #40
    Registered User Fritzc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central Michigan
    Posts
    657

    Thumbs up I want to visit!

    RI is one of four continental United states in which I have never been. I plan to visit in between the RA and MOA rallies. My Great Great Grandmother was a Rathbun who was one of the original families that settled Block Island. My plan was to go out onto Long Island, NY and take the ferry across to New London, CT. From there ride around in RI then back across CT and on to WV for the RA rally.
    I'd like to take ferry for a day or partial day to Block Island but concerned about security of bike in the meantime. Any ideas? Advice?
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

  11. #41
    Registered User soffiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sterling, CT
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzc View Post
    RI is one of four continental United states in which I have never been. I plan to visit in between the RA and MOA rallies. My Great Great Grandmother was a Rathbun who was one of the original families that settled Block Island. My plan was to go out onto Long Island, NY and take the ferry across to New London, CT. From there ride around in RI then back across CT and on to WV for the RA rally.
    I'd like to take ferry for a day or partial day to Block Island but concerned about security of bike in the meantime. Any ideas? Advice?
    Hi Fritzc:

    I am not quite following you. Are you taking the bike to BI, and concerned with its security over there? Or, are you parking the bike on the mainland?
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

  12. #42
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzc View Post
    RI is one of four continental United states in which I have never been. I plan to visit in between the RA and MOA rallies. My Great Great Grandmother was a Rathbun who was one of the original families that settled Block Island. My plan was to go out onto Long Island, NY and take the ferry across to New London, CT. From there ride around in RI then back across CT and on to WV for the RA rally.
    I'd like to take ferry for a day or partial day to Block Island but concerned about security of bike in the meantime. Any ideas? Advice?
    Unless there is something specific on Long Island you want to see I'd say don't bother with the ferry. If you are coming up from Johnson City to go to Long Island you would go over the Verazanno Narrows Bridge, then out to Orient Point. By the time you get to New London you've taken most of the day to cover what would only take 3hrs (tops) to do if you stay on I95.

    If you are leaving Johnson City on Sunday morning I'd take back roads north to the PA /WV/MD boarder area (day one), then a big slab day to RI, spend the night, go out to BI on Tuesday and start south Wednesday.

    If you take the boat from Pt. Judith you can easily bring your bike with you. If you take the boat from Newport you can leave your bike there for the day with no issues but I'd lock up the tempting stuff.

    You can also leave the bike at Pt. Judith with no issues.

    If you time is flexibe I'd suggest / invite you to come out here and tour BI on Friday the 11 of July and join us on our rolling tour to the MOA Rally. We are leaving New England on Saturday the 12.

  13. #43
    falcon415
    Guest

    Cool Road suggestions in RI

    A) Rt.1A from Watch Hill to Wickford, (a very quaint historic seaside town).

    1.) And/Or, about 8 miles before Wickford, break East on Rt.138, crossing the two bridges to Newport.
    A stop after the first bridge brings you to the Island commonly called Jamestown. A stop here in the local village and a ride to Beavertail Point is worthwhile. (The road is bumpy)
    The views from the bridges may take your breath away.
    Over the next bridge, in Newport, you must ride Ocean Drive, and walk the Cliff Walk.

    In Newport:
    Have a great meal at 'Salas's', on Thames street, at a reasonable price and rub elbows with the locals. 'Yesterdays' Restaurant near the old courthouse is another good local place.
    Have a great meal at 'The Clark Cooke House' and rub elbows with International Yacht racers. The Black Pearl is another very cool, internationally visited restaurant and outdoor bar.
    All three places have excellent bars.

    Summer weekends are traffic hell. Go early or late summer, and/or during the week.

    Eastern RI and Western CT.:
    B.) Rt. 102, West from Wickford to Rt.44. Go west on Rt.44 until you get to Pomfret, CT, at the intersection of Rt.169 and Rt.44. Stop, drink coffee and have a nice sandwich at "The Vanilla Bean", a restaurant that is very popular with bikers.
    Go south on Rt.169 for one of the more scenic rides in New England.
    You can find your way to Rt.95 near the end of Rt.169.

    Some parts of RI roads can be rough with potholes.

    Ride Safe,
    R.P. Falcon
    BMW 07 K12GT
    97 HD Sportster 1200
    Cannondale road and mountain bicycles.

  14. #44
    looking for a coal mine knary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    5,878
    Quote Originally Posted by soffiler View Post
    Providence has three universities that are renowned internationally: Brown, Rhode Island School of Design, and Johnson&Wales. I don't mean to slight Providence College or Rhode Island College, also in Providence; I'm just not sure they have the same international stature. Moving outside Providence, but still in Rhode Island, you've got Bryant University, Salve Regina, and the University of Rhode Island (a "state" school but with international acclaim in some programs, oceanography for example)

    Brown brings Ivy-League intellect, RISD brings a wealth of creativity, and J&W brings... FOOD! Their culinary program is among the very best. Not coincidentally, Providence has an abundance of fantasic restaurants.
    Providence has become quite the town since I was at RISD in the late 80's/early 90's. I have fond memories of Mayor Cianci getting booed when he spoke at our graduation.

  15. #45
    Registered User soffiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sterling, CT
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon415 View Post
    Eastern RI and Western CT.:
    B.) Rt. 102, West from Wickford to Rt.44. Go west on Rt.44 until you get to Pomfret, CT, at the intersection of Rt.169 and Rt.44. Stop, drink coffee and have a nice sandwich at "The Vanilla Bean", a restaurant that is very popular with bikers.
    Go south on Rt.169 for one of the more scenic rides in New England.
    You can find your way to Rt.95 near the end of Rt.169.
    While this might be a nitpick, falcon, the above should say "Western RI and Eastern CT"

    And on a more subjective note, a route I would suggest from Wickford to Pomfret is 102N (it heads west out of Wickford but is considered a N-S route) to 94N to 44W. This area of northwestern RI and northeastern CT has some of the best riding in New England south of Vermont (although the Berkshires might take issue with that statement).

    Happily, the Bean is popular with motorcyclists too.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •