Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The state of Rhode Island

[QUOTE=robnye;402581]Tiverton is inland.
    Rhode Island Rocks!

And one of the best things about Rhode Island?

We are not Mass*oles![/QUOTE]

Careful Rob or the YB's will revoke your membership. haha
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Tiverton is inland.

We are not Mass*oles!

Quiet or Mass will invade RI!

We are not Mass*oles!
    Man, I thought only the people in CT thought that!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

yappo

Smile little compton

a hidden gem.

My daughter is a freshman at Salve Regina University in Newport. We love visiting and have really gotten to enjoy the area. Mrs T is already talking of taking a ride up there when things warm up a bit.

We usually stay at the Comfort Inn in Middletown. $66/night with the IBM corporate rate and it's 5 minutes from the center of Newport (and the SRU campus). One of our favorite restaurants is the Clarke Cooke House on Bannisters Wharf.

Rally Rat
    Lil Rhody is also home to the largest concentration of the best sailors in the U.S. if not the world and we're home to U.S. Sailing the governing body of the sport.

Oh yeah Rhode Island thats where the americas cup is... Oh wait it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GSfornow View Post
    Oh yeah Rhode Island thats where the americas cup is... Oh wait it isn't.
    I'm not sure I follow you.

The America's Cup never resided in Rhode Island, it spent 132 years on 44th Street in New York City.

Now if you are talking about a few weeks of sailboat racing out on the bay the AC races have long since been replaced by events that are more popular with the folks that live here.

Well, Rhode Island is the only state in which Voni and I have ever been refused accomodations at a commercial campground simply because we were riding motorcycles. Since it was about to rain and just getting dark, it didn't make me have very fond memories of Rhode Island. I won't tar the whole state with that bad brush, but ..... it left a sour taste nonetheless.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Navy sent me to Newport a couple of times. Beautiful place. Have since been back for an open house at Twisted Throttle...
    The open house this past summer, Paul? In the rain? If so, that was me on the yellow GS winning the slow race...

... Rhode Island does not get that much nasty snow in the winter or heat in the summer.
    All-time record high snowfall is 105.2" (almost 9 feet) in 1994-5; and the all-time record low is a measly 4.6" in 1996-7. Average is 34.5" per season. It's not a whole lot of snow but the real kicker is the huge inconsistency from season to season. I've had whole seasons go by without ever putting the snowplow on the tractor; and I've had seasons where I plowed upwards of 15 times. Snow generally doesn't stay around all that long. During real cold snaps that would preserve snow, we usually don't get snow... the coldest weather tends to be dry and clear. When winter precip comes, the temperature tends to be closer to 32F and changeover between snow, rain, and sleet is fairly common. The greatest chance of snow lingering more than a few days comes for only a few weeks between mid-Jan thru mid-Feb, when average temperature bottoms out.

You CAN be a Rounder in RI. (I'm not)

Summertime can be inconsistent, as well. We've had summers with half a dozen "heat waves" (defined as three straight days over 90F) and we've had summers with none. When the heat comes, it's always accompanied by high humidity. When I started visiting the desert southwest, I learned the real meaning of the old cliche "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". Boy is that ever true. I'll take 105F in Moab over 90F in Providence ANY TIME.

The real beauty, of course, is the spring and the fall. The transition between the seasonal extremes described above is pretty gentle, and although it can sometimes be wet (with an average of about 3.5" of precip in each month of the year), it can be gorgeous too. Fall foliage in the hilly northwestern part of the state (which is where I live; yeah I know it says "Sterling CT") is stunning.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

Are you sure RI is actualy a state??
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

Quote Originally Posted by moshaffer View Post
    Hmmm, let's see... it's had a star on the flag ever since the original 13, so, yeah, I'm pretty sure. You're not?
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

Quote Originally Posted by moshaffer View Post
    Size doesn't matter!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Rhode Island has...........

Tiverton is inland.

Rhode Island Rocks!

Here in Bristol we have an industrial park with the following:

One of the world's finest high end yacht builders (Americas Cup stuff)
    One of the world's finest mast builders (Americas Cup stuff)
    One of the builders of the world's fastest powerboats
    All sorts of support companies for high end marine stuff.

Lil Rhody is also home to the largest concentration of the best sailors in the U.S. if not the world and we're home to U.S. Sailing the governing body of the sport.

Also in RI we have NUSC where things like torpedos are developed. Quonset hut and the PT boat? Yup, born and bread here in RI.

We got your Quahogs and stuffies too.

We are not Mass*oles!
    Rhode Island also has "Coffee Syrup" Delicious!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusma View Post
    Rhode Island also has "Coffee Syrup" Delicious!!!!
    And don't forget stuffed quohaug's, and Del's Lemonade,
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

razman10
    I call it God's country...

Though I would love to live in a warmer climate that provides year-round riding, we in Rhode Island:

• generally don't get the BITTER cold as the upper mid-west and northern New England
    • generally don't experience the outrageous heat as the southwest
    • are not prone to earthquakes as much as the west
    • don't experience STRONG hurricanes as the southeast
    • have hills that make the area NON-conducive to tornadoes as the mid-west

Add to this the fact that we generally do not get too much snow annually, and it's a great place to live/work/play.

If you haven't been here, be sure to visit!!!

Just don't leave without having some coffee milk, and Del's frozen lemonade (the real stuff, not the powdered stuff)