Capital
    Providence
    Total Area
    1,212 sq mi
    3,140 sq km
    Population
    1,048,319 (2000 census)
    Major Cities
    Providence (152,558), Warwick (84,514), Cranston (74,324), Pawtucket (69,068), East Providence (48,389) (July 1996 est.)
    Highest Point
    Jerimoth Hill
    812 feet
    247 meters
    Income per capita (US$)
    $29,377
    Industry
    fishing, jewelry and silverware, fabricated metal products, electrical equipment, machinery, shipbuilding, tourism
    Agriculture
    greenhouse and nursery products, dairy products, eggs
    Natural Resources
    construction sand and gravel, crushed stone
    (U.S. Government sources)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

???????????????????????

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Looks like a great place to live, especially in the summertime. But the Astors knew that.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 12-20-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: correct grammar

Quote Originally Posted by free2ride View Post
    ???????????????????????
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

you forget something

the big bug on I-95...
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Navy sent me to Newport a couple of times. Beautiful place. Have since been back for an open house at Twisted Throttle. Rhode Island does not get that much nasty snow in the winter or heat in the summer.

What's not to like?

Rhode Island is one of my favorite states. My best friends live there, so I visit as often as I can make it east. As small as it is, there are some nice back roads in the western part. Plus the beaches. And Providence is great. If you live close to the coast you can ride year round. Now, if it was just a little closer to Wyoming...
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Navy sent me to Newport a couple of times. Beautiful place. Have since been back for an open house at Twisted Throttle. Rhode Island does not get that much nasty snow in the winter or heat in the summer.

What's not to like?
    Standing watch along the seaplane ramps at Quonsett point in mid-January with a 40 knot wind wipping in from across the bay.
    Summers were wonderful.
    Tim
    1997 K1100 LT
    " If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." And that is OK with me

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Navy sent me to Newport a couple of times. Beautiful place. Have since been back for an open house at Twisted Throttle...
    The open house this past summer, Paul? In the rain? If so, that was me on the yellow GS winning the slow race...

... Rhode Island does not get that much nasty snow in the winter or heat in the summer.
    All-time record high snowfall is 105.2" (almost 9 feet) in 1994-5; and the all-time record low is a measly 4.6" in 1996-7. Average is 34.5" per season. It's not a whole lot of snow but the real kicker is the huge inconsistency from season to season. I've had whole seasons go by without ever putting the snowplow on the tractor; and I've had seasons where I plowed upwards of 15 times. Snow generally doesn't stay around all that long. During real cold snaps that would preserve snow, we usually don't get snow... the coldest weather tends to be dry and clear. When winter precip comes, the temperature tends to be closer to 32F and changeover between snow, rain, and sleet is fairly common. The greatest chance of snow lingering more than a few days comes for only a few weeks between mid-Jan thru mid-Feb, when average temperature bottoms out.

You CAN be a Rounder in RI. (I'm not)

Summertime can be inconsistent, as well. We've had summers with half a dozen "heat waves" (defined as three straight days over 90F) and we've had summers with none. When the heat comes, it's always accompanied by high humidity. When I started visiting the desert southwest, I learned the real meaning of the old cliche "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". Boy is that ever true. I'll take 105F in Moab over 90F in Providence ANY TIME.

The real beauty, of course, is the spring and the fall. The transition between the seasonal extremes described above is pretty gentle, and although it can sometimes be wet (with an average of about 3.5" of precip in each month of the year), it can be gorgeous too. Fall foliage in the hilly northwestern part of the state (which is where I live; yeah I know it says "Sterling CT") is stunning.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

la10duh

Rhode Island Harbors the Best

Largest industry is now healthcare followed by tourism/hospitality. That's sad.

falcon415

Cool Road suggestions in RI

A) Rt.1A from Watch Hill to Wickford, (a very quaint historic seaside town).

1.) And/Or, about 8 miles before Wickford, break East on Rt.138, crossing the two bridges to Newport.
    A stop after the first bridge brings you to the Island commonly called Jamestown. A stop here in the local village and a ride to Beavertail Point is worthwhile. (The road is bumpy)
    The views from the bridges may take your breath away.
    Over the next bridge, in Newport, you must ride Ocean Drive, and walk the Cliff Walk.

In Newport:
    Have a great meal at 'Salas's', on Thames street, at a reasonable price and rub elbows with the locals. 'Yesterdays' Restaurant near the old courthouse is another good local place.
    Have a great meal at 'The Clark Cooke House' and rub elbows with International Yacht racers. The Black Pearl is another very cool, internationally visited restaurant and outdoor bar.
    All three places have excellent bars.

Summer weekends are traffic hell. Go early or late summer, and/or during the week.

Eastern RI and Western CT.:
    B.) Rt. 102, West from Wickford to Rt.44. Go west on Rt.44 until you get to Pomfret, CT, at the intersection of Rt.169 and Rt.44. Stop, drink coffee and have a nice sandwich at "The Vanilla Bean", a restaurant that is very popular with bikers.
    Go south on Rt.169 for one of the more scenic rides in New England.
    You can find your way to Rt.95 near the end of Rt.169.

Some parts of RI roads can be rough with potholes.

Ride Safe,
    R.P. Falcon
    BMW 07 K12GT
    97 HD Sportster 1200
    Cannondale road and mountain bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon415 View Post
    Eastern RI and Western CT.:
    B.) Rt. 102, West from Wickford to Rt.44. Go west on Rt.44 until you get to Pomfret, CT, at the intersection of Rt.169 and Rt.44. Stop, drink coffee and have a nice sandwich at "The Vanilla Bean", a restaurant that is very popular with bikers.
    Go south on Rt.169 for one of the more scenic rides in New England.
    You can find your way to Rt.95 near the end of Rt.169.
    While this might be a nitpick, falcon, the above should say "Western RI and Eastern CT"

And on a more subjective note, a route I would suggest from Wickford to Pomfret is 102N (it heads west out of Wickford but is considered a N-S route) to 94N to 44W. This area of northwestern RI and northeastern CT has some of the best riding in New England south of Vermont (although the Berkshires might take issue with that statement).

Happily, the Bean is popular with motorcyclists too.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more