Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to appreciate your bike seat

How to appreciate your bike seat

Quite by accident I have discovered a way to make your seat feel 100% better - whether it is stock or a custom add on.
    A few weeks ago I dug a bicycle out of the back of the garage and put some new tires on it. As part of my effort to avoid becoming a FOB (Fat Old Biker) I started riding said bike and have built myself up to where I have a nice little course I can cover in 20-30 minutes, burn up some calories and get my heart thumping.
    Well, after spending time on a bicycle seat a few days a week, my stock seat feels like heaven. Don't need no gel...no sheepskin....no $850 Skippy Doodle custom seat - just pedal my butt around on my bicycle and voila the stock seat becomes "plush, cushiony, and butt spoiling".
    Haven't lost any weight, but maybe that is because I reward my rides with a nice bowl of ice cream???
    Last edited by Cliffy777; 07-09-2004 at 06:09 PM.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

FRAZZ
    I like your system (especially the ice cream at the end ).....

USERNAME
    cliffy - ive experienced this also. we have some hills here in austin, and ive also learned to really appreciate the throttle too!

Re: How to appreciate your bike seat

Originally posted by Cliffy777
    just peddle my butt around on my bicycle and voila the stock seat becomes "plush, cushiony, and butt spoiling".
    You probbly mean "pedal", cuz "peddle" means "sell".

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

You probbly mean "pedal", cuz "peddle" means "sell".
    Selling his butt would be one way to lose weight. Problem is finding someone who wants to buy the extra lbs. Most people have no trouble getting them for free. And of course there is the shipping and handleing issue too.:yow

I'm one of those much despised people who can eat all day long and not gain weight. It does make the seat padding more of an issue when you have no built in cushion to help out. I'll pass on the bicycle torture and stick with my Sargent seat and sheepskin pad.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Okay,

SO I wrote the post early in the morning. I have tried "peddling" my butt to no avail.
    www.yearroundriders.com

Re: Okay,

Originally posted by Cliffy777
    SO I wrote the post early in the morning. I have tried "peddling" my butt to no avail.
    You are leaving the door wide open there Cliffy, "butt" I am going to behave.......

I took my bicycle out last weekend (the hottest and most humid day I might add) and thought I was going to need an ambulance before I got done my usual 9 mile route. Seems I've gotten alittle out of shape since the S moved in. I think I have to start a ratio of like 4:1 for my rides (motorcycle vs. bicycle) from now on.
    Chris
    Scotch Plains, NJ

'02 R1100SA

Re: Re: Okay,

Originally posted by BMW Beauty
    You are leaving the door wide open there Cliffy, "butt" I am going to behave.......
    Hey, I'm just gonna turn the other cheek and ignore that crack, Beauty.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

USERNAME

Re: Re: Re: Okay,

Originally posted by KBasa
    i was a little behind on my thread reading, but im caught up with you bums now. i dont think cliffy was assking for these kind of responses. perhaps though, this thread can be preserved for posteriorority? i'll want to read it again sometime in the future, like after cassinni leaves saturn and heads for uranus.

Re: Re: Re: Okay,

Originally posted by KBasa
    I can't just turn the other cheek and ignore a crack like that......
    Butt as long as I have one and not two I won't worry about my seat....

you guys are cracking me up
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Let me respond

When I look behind at all the cracks being made I wonder. Butt, what can a poor boy do? Ass long ass there are people fixated on the bottom, we cannot progress.
    www.yearroundriders.com

The seat on my KTM off-road bike really makes me appreciate the stock RT perch as well. Nothing like a vinyl-clad railroad tie to put things in perspective.
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    2009 KTM 300XC-W

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

As a (sort of) bicyclist

I'll add a bit to this one.

Most of my cycling is recreational, with a view to fitness. But I cycle enough to say that I understand your pain.

You can get a different seat for the bicycle (that really will make a difference) without spending the price of a Corbin.

Next, the angle of the seat is important. A few degrees at the front can make a lot of difference on where your weight rests. Try incrementally adjusting the horn of the seat until your weight rests on the cheek pads.

Also, if you want to bicycle without setting yourself up for later problems with your sex life, look into one of the seats designed to relieve unnecessary pressure on the veins leading to your ... um, private parts.

Finally, invest in some padded bicycling shorts. I like the Pearl Izumi's, but there are some other good ones out there.

If you can't stomach the "leotards" look of the tight fitted shorts, visit a store that sells mountain biking shorts. There will be some padded shorts available that look like ordinary hiking or sports shorts with pockets, etc., but offer the comfort of the padded butt.

Rick (and no, I do not shave my legs) in AL
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.