Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Viz Jacket:)

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    I don't know why this isn't mentioned more often, but hi-viz vests and jackets with EU spec reflecting material are available for only a few dollars from many suppliers. They pack very small, and go over any other gear. There are even mesh versions for the summer. What's nice about them is when the color is getting cruddy looking, you can replace them for very little money. And when you don't want the nerdy look, you don't have to wear them. And best of all, they easily out-perform the motorcycle jackets for visibility.

Fred

nevada72
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I don't know why this isn't mentioned more often, but hi-viz vests and jackets with EU spec reflecting material are available for only a few dollars from many suppliers. .....

.......... And when you don't want the nerdy look, you don't have to wear them.
    .......And best of all, they easily out-perform the motorcycle jackets for visibility.

Fred
    Two points, one question -

You get what you pay for. Cheap vests have been mentioned in other threads so most of those who buy Hy-Viz are well aware of them. You can't compare a lightweight "flagger" vest made for standing to a well made moto specific vest.

If by "nerdy" you mean safe, when should one choose to do that? Kind of like choosing when to wear seat belts when driving a car.

I'm very curious, in what way do they outperform the motorcycle jckets?

Quote Originally Posted by nevada72 View Post
    Two points, one question -

You get what you pay for. Cheap vests have been mentioned in other threads so most of those who buy Hy-Viz are well aware of them. You can't compare a lightweight "flagger" vest made for standing to a well made moto specific vest.

If by "nerdy" you mean safe, when should one choose to do that? Kind of like choosing when to wear seat belts when driving a car.

I'm very curious, in what way do they outperform the motorcycle jckets?
    Not to pick on Fred but I have to agree with nevada that most "utillity type" vests tend to flap or end up around your neck. That said there are a few that work OK and would be a step up in safety for those with existing jackets. I also do not take the nerdy statement as Freds opinion but more likely the opinion of a kevlar headed HD rider.
    By the way almost everyone notices a nerd (I should know).

Mike
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Oh brother!

Anyway, if you are experiencing excessive flapping, either you bought a vest or jacket that was too big, or you never had one and are merely making such a claim. It's the same issue with a rain suit. Note that these have zippers, not velcro. Anyway, my hi-viz over-jacket is the proper size to slip over my moto jackets, does not flap around excessively, and the CE-approved reflective tape design is proven (and mandated) for visibility. Motorcycle jackets that simply use hi-viz fabric end their visibility design there. I carry a British police over-jacket (without the text on it), folded in a little pouch in a case.

As to the cach?® of hi-viz, it's just the way it is. Get a grip, man, and don't take it personally.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; 12-29-2008 at 01:47 AM.

nevada72
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Oh brother! ....... Get a grip, man, and don't take it personally.

Fred
    Sounds like you are the one taking it personally. I apologize if I offended you. That was not my goal. I merely disagree with you - we can do that and still be friendly can't we?

FWIW - I am a contractor and life long rider. I know construction safety vests very well. In 20 years I have not seen one in anything but "one size fits all". Moto-specific vests are heavier, come in at least 2 sizes, and are more adjustable. They do have reflective stripes which are placed so that drivers can see the seated cyclist, not some guy holding a "slow" sign beside road construction.

If you are happy wearing a $4 vest on your $20k BMW, good for you.

As for the "nerdy" comment, I could care less and that's not what I was getting at. I was pointing out that one might choose to be safe all the time, not just when you don't want to look "nerdy". Who cares what others think? Just one man's opinion.
    Last edited by nevada72; 12-29-2008 at 04:35 AM.

Fly Fishing Adventurer
    I am all about being a nerd, but sometimes I think we can go overboard with this safety stuff. I mean, we need to be the ones aware at all times regardless of what we wear! See below, watch closely and count them all, and when you are done try and imagine a distracted soccer mom with a car full of screaming kids coming up behind you at an intersection.................

Last edited by porkchopgreasy; 01-01-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Got it and now I'm "way" happy;

My AST Olympia came and I've been wearing it for a couple weeks. WOW, what a difference in traffic! One guy above mentioned traffic moving out of the way in Chicago, I think was the city. Here TOO, in California. They see me coming from behind and most move over, "perhaps" thinking COP. I don't know what they think, but its very interesting how folks really SEE this jacket coming. I did not expect to see such an improvement in this regard, but its true. When I first wore the jacket, I too had a shocking perspective as to how BRIGHT it was and what I must look like. I got over it quickly and who cares, as I love being seen vs. the other scenarios we really don't wish on anybody! Its been 32 and some days below freezing on my rides and I wear the jacket "without" my electric vest so far. Very nice jacket and is what I wished for. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by porkchopgreasy View Post
    I am all about being a nerd, but sometimes I think we can go overboard with this safety stuff. I mean, we need to be the ones aware at all times regardless of what we wear! See below, watch closely and count them all, and when you are done try and imagine a distracted soccer mom with a car full of screaming kids coming up behind you at an intersection.................

WOW , I feel like a dumb ***!
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

I bet you would have seen him if he was wearing a high-viz jacket.

I wore my new NEON RED Olympia jacket to the grocery store yesterday. Know the feeling you get when you forgot you were wearing a Halloween mask and costume? Everyone in a normally friendly store was giving me wide berth and not meeting my eyes.

The checkout clerk said she liked it. I asked if she rode. She laughed and said, "No. I just like that you step outside the box!"

Now if it just works as well in traffic . . .

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Fly Fishing Adventurer
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    I bet you would have seen him if he was wearing a high-viz jacket.
    Maybe, maybe not. My point is, no matter how hi-viz the jacket, most folks out there are not paying 100% attention.

I read a study years ago that a white helmet is the number one "hi-viz" item a rider can wear.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I read a study years ago that a white helmet is the number one "hi-viz" item a rider can wear.
    because years ago, day glow yellow had not been invented yet..........
    max

Fly Fishing Adventurer
    Quote Originally Posted by maxscycle View Post
    because years ago, day glow yellow had not been invented yet..........
    max
    Uh....nope, the study was from 2004 stating that white helmets were involved in 25% less accidents than black ones (19% less for lighter colored helmets than black).

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/328/7444/857

But that wasn't my point. Visible clothing is important, but being aware is much more important.

Maniacal Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    By Olympia, sold at my BMW Dealer. I just got one shipped to me and its enroute. The AST Olympia is has gotten rave reviews by many, so thought it would do me well too. We'll see. My first "High Viz" anything and I will look like a canary riding down the road, but I liked the idea, so here goes! I've been wearing a similar Kilimanjaro(First Gear) for years and years and its been a great ride with it, but time to change and the new Olympia looks very very well done to me, with all the characteristics my Kilimanjaro had and more. Anybody else ride HIGH VIZ stuff to be seen? I will now and at 56, I need to be seen and want to ride into my senior years as long as possible. Randy
    -------------------------

I've had an Olympia AST Hi-Viz for over a year. Quality of construction is outstanding, visibility in sunlight is painful. I know - two of my co-workers have the same jacket - and I prefer to lead so I don't have to look at them! BTW, I wear a bright yellow hard hat as well.

Re 56 and senior: you're as old as you choose to be. I've got 9 years on you, and I ride safer (and over a distance, faster) than I did 40 years ago. And I savor the riding experience more than ever.

Buy the jacket, be a geek, you won't regret it.

Art W.

Bob
    I personaly can't stand Hi-Viz, but does anyone know of something available in a nice bug-splatter green?